Cookin' with Chris 👨‍🍳

As a born and raised Southern Californian, this is one of the most Californian things I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

As a native Texan, that kinda hurts my feelings. :smile: Gonna have to make one with brisket and BBQ sauce to make up for it.

4 Likes

Took the brisket out of the freezer yesterday. Saturday It’s going on pit with a pork roast, a chicken, and a ring of sausage. :grin:

3 Likes

Now you’re just flirting. I’m tellin’ Dani.

:wink:

1 Like

So I am hearing BBQ part for T Nation at your place Saturday. Been awhile since I have had good brisket.

1 Like

Come on over! I got stuff for coleslaw, potato salad, and beans. Not sure what we are having for dessert.
May have to bring your own beer, all we have is Modelo, Shiner, Pacifico, and Miller.

1 Like

If I still drank this is perfectly fine. I am a Wisconsinite. Miller beer drinking is one of the unwritten rules (the other two are: Cheer for the Packers and eat bratwurst (real brats not that fake crap they sell at ball parks and fairs)).

1 Like

Cheater’s Chili

I make chili from the ground-up sometimes, but this is our quick and easy go-to version. Why is it cheating? Because I use two cans of pre-made chili, usually some health-food store version, like Amy’s.

1. Brown a pound of turkey or grass-fed beef.

2. The canned chili is already seasoned, but we’re adding a pound of unseasoned meat, so go ahead and toss in salt and pepper, onion, garlic, and extra chili powder.

3. Add tomatoes and cook until soft.

4. Add the canned stuff. I usually use two different varieties, like a mild and a medium heat, or one with beans and one without.

5. Serve with avocado creme and a little cheese.

Flat-sliced “dipping” baked potato wedges on the side = bonus. They bake up quickly too.

3 Likes

Breakfast Bowl

Turkey sausage, scrambled eggs, roasted potato wedges, tomatoes, avocado creme.

Weird that people buy stuff like this packaged and frozen. You pay three times as much for half the amount of food.

Being lazy is expensive. #lifetip

4 Likes

I made the brussel sprouts today. Very good. :+1:

1 Like

If you haven’t already tried it, add a touch of balsamic vinegar to each one before cooking. Really good.

1 Like

Can we just talk about leftovers? Give them a little makeover and it’s a whole new meal.

This is an open-faced salmon sandwich on a toasted sourdough English muffin. Chris made some incredible salmon on Saturday night, so we had this for lunch on Sunday.

I just mashed up the salmon with apple cider vinegar and olive-oil mayo from Primal Kitchen, then added chives and “everything but the bagel” seasoning. Vinegar is a game-changing ingredient with any fish dish.

4 Likes

I admit, I balked for a second about “fish on an English muffin,” but then I wanted to eat like five of them. Might have to cook up an extra salmon just to have this for lunch every day.

1 Like

Haha I still don’t know what makes that weird! Would you not put tuna on an English muffin?

1 Like

Nugs

Healthier chicken nuggets are easy:

1. Slice chicken boobs into nuggets.

2. Coat with mustard. You can also brush on egg whites, salad dressing, hot sauce, etc. You just need something to make the panko in step 3 stick.

3. Cover with salted panko and whatever herbs/spices you want. I used a wheat-free panko made from chickpeas for the batch in the pic. Can’t find that brand anymore, but something like the stuff pictured below.

4. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper for easy clean-up. Add nugs.

5. Bake at around 385 Fahrenheit until done. Maybe 20 minutes or so, depending on the size of your nugs.

You get 100 Parent Points if you can cut your chicken into dinosaur shapes.

4 Likes

I made this with red potatoes, onions, some asparagus and mostly egg whites last night for dinner. Very tasty and will definitely make it again.

1 Like

Awesome combo!

Turkey Tacos

We have some variation of this at least once a week… sometimes not even on Tuesday. It’s weird, we always buy high-quality ground turkey then put off eating it. It just seems so boring. But that’s what Mexican flavors are for.

Big fan of these hard taco shells made with cassava, avocado, and pumpkin:

Only drawback is that they’re not very sturdy. Can’t stuff them with much without them breaking. Still, they’re damn good and we mainly use them as tortilla chips anyway.

Same company (Siete) makes these enchilada sauces. I don’t actually make enchiladas but these are awesome for flavoring up your boring turkey.

The beans are just canned refried, fat free. I usually add some Taco Bell sauce to them while they heat up. When bought in a bottle, it’s surprisingly “clean” – none of the nasty ingredients most of us avoid.

7 Likes

This is awesome @Chris_Shugart. Thanks for doing this.

https://a.co/d/7dlK1I8

3 Likes

Guys, you are overthinking this

3 Likes