T Nation

Cooked Eggs In Protein Shake

I recently purchased a blendtec blender and began trying different things with it. I cooked up six eggs and put them in there with a bananna, strawberries, and pineapple, oj, and milk. It’s cut my breakfast time down by 15 minutes which is huge for me.

Are there any downfalls to having blended eggs? They’re cooked so absorbtion shouldn’t be a problem…

Any thoughts?

Sounds disgusting, though I’ve never tried that mix.

Should be fine, maybe add some protein powder as an extra.

Sounds nasty … hows it taste?

I’d toss some protein powder in there as well.

I don’t see there being any downfalls with blended eggs, other than the texture which doesn’t seem like it’d be to enjoyable

The taste isn’t too bad, I just make sure to add lots of strawberries.

As for the texture, I cook them omlet style, over easy. Let them cool and add a good amount of ice.

The blendtec does a great job at homogenizing the eggs into the smoothie. I tried this before with my old blender and it was disgusting becuase there were chunks of egg.

just some visual

thats actually a good idea of cooking them first. i know a lot of people around here use raw egg whites and eggs but i guess the usuable protein is cut in half when eaten raw.

but does anyone know of why this wouldent work?, sounds disgusting but i too hate sitting at the breakfast table for 20 minues trying to eat 6 or 7 eggs. it would probably jsut as good with some protein powder, ice and PB…

gross
but i always like cutting down eating time

what’s wrong with putting them in raw? that would save you even more time and probably result in a better tasting/textured shake.

I actually think that looks really good. Cool thought.

I would try blending it with PB and Grow! Whey.

[quote]mikepop878 wrote:
what’s wrong with putting them in raw? that would save you even more time and probably result in a better tasting/textured shake.[/quote]

even though the risk is low, salmonella

egg beaters are pasteurized so you don’t have this problem

I used egg beaters and they gave my terrible, terrible gas. haha It was funny for like the first month but it got old.

And there’s a dispute with raw eggs and absorbtion so I figured i’d just play it safe

ps- I wouldn’t be doing this if I didn’t have the blender

What’s with all this absorption talk? Your body will digest every single calorie in the egg. Cooked eggs have a different amino acid structure. It will have zero impact on your physique, unless perhaps you are on an extremely low protein diet, and you need every single essential amino acid.

Also, the risk of salmonella is extremely low. The study done says 1 in 30000. But that 1 in 30000 that have salmonella also have shell defects, which can be easily detected by examining the egg before you eat it.

The raw eggs will taste much better as well. They add great texture to a shake, and a slight vanilla flavor.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
What’s with all this absorption talk? Your body will digest every single calorie in the egg. Cooked eggs have a different amino acid structure. It will have zero impact on your physique, unless perhaps you are on an extremely low protein diet, and you need every single essential amino acid.

Also, the risk of salmonella is extremely low. The study done says 1 in 30000. But that 1 in 30000 that have salmonella also have shell defects, which can be easily detected by examining the egg before you eat it.

The raw eggs will taste much better as well. They add great texture to a shake, and a slight vanilla flavor. [/quote]

X2

This is the first I’ve ever heard about raw vs cooked egg absorption.

I usually add an egg or two (raw) to my protein shakes as well. As long as the egg shell is intact the risk is low. To be safe just run the egg under the faucet for a few seconds and gently wipe it with a wet paper towel before you crack it open.

(On a related note, it’s good practice to wash melons off before you cut them because any pesticides or dirt could be dragged into the fruit by the knife when you cut it open)

[quote]wicked08 wrote:
Are there any downfalls to having blended eggs? They’re cooked so absorbtion shouldn’t be a problem…
Any thoughts?[/quote]

wow and I thought my tuna fish and protein shakes were giving me weird looks…

This idea of eggs not being absorb if not cooked has been a real question in my mind. In nature all animals eat every thing raw… Humans have only in the most resent history eaten foods cooked, and at that only even more recently most of our foods (few eat raw veggies now).

There is more and more evidence that eating food fresh, whole, organic, locally grown, and raw is vastly superior for over all health.

I have read some of the studies out there on egg protein absorbtion but it remains a bur of sorts in my logical way of thinking…

Any way drink up!

Solid

Sweet egg salad? Sounds kinky.

[quote]wicked08 wrote:
I recently purchased a blendtec blender and began trying different things with it. I cooked up six eggs and put them in there with a bananna, strawberries, and pineapple, oj, and milk. It’s cut my breakfast time down by 15 minutes which is huge for me.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

Yes, that sounds disgusting, but if you like it who am I to judge. I just eat the egg whites raw, usually, 1 cup calorie countdown chocolate beverage with two cups of egg whites and two table spoons of heavy cream mixed in with two tablespoons of splenda. I personally don’t like whey and consume huge amounts of raw eggs for protein.

Pasteurized egg whits/beaters for me. Half a cup in every shake and in oatmeal. It’s a great way to sneak in more protein(~12 grams per 4oz).