Convincing My Dad Against Vegetarianism?

[quote]BetaBerry wrote:

It takes planning, but only initially. Like I said, I don’t overthink about everything I eat. I also don’t have to eat stuff that tastes like cardboard just because I’m a vegetarian. After a month or two one should have a nice selection of vegetarian foods to eat. Just like you don’t need to plan if this week you’re goin to eat your chicken breasts baked or cooked, I don’t need to sit down with a calculator and plan how I’m going to prepare my tempeh.

[/quote]

Enjoy your Anemia.

Your moral reasons are bullshit too, btw.
We are animals. We have canines for a reason (tear through meat). Just cause we can think doesn’t mean it’s cruel or bad if we eat meat. We have needs too. I am sick of hearing retarded people who think that just because we have a conscience that we are not allowed to look after ourself and give in to our needs and indulgences. We are allowed to be a bit selfish too. This idea is self defeating.

And you eat because if you don’t, you die. Sex is an entirely different matter. Your body has needs and those needs need to be met.

Oh, and you’re hot.

Cheers

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
nik133 wrote:
these animals are bread to be killed

Well, Freud was right.

(Movie reference… anyone?)[/quote]

Boondock saints.

DoubleDeuce, good call. :wink:

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
Your moral reasons are bullshit too, btw.[/quote]

Come on, man. Like I said in my first post in this thread, if you want you get a legitimate point across without sounding condescending or ignorant, I respectfully dare you to try to avoid statements like this.

I know you can explain your ideas without sounding derogatory. Threads like this too often devolve into name-calling (vegetarians are pussies, meat-eaters rockmysox). We’re shooting for a smart, useful discussion here.

Whenever this issue is brought up, it never really felt right, or complete, to me. See the above pic. The mountain gorilla lives on an herbivorous diet, and has canine teeth.

This National Geographic article explains how the Human jaw and teeth have changed over time, and have gradually grown less accustomed to eating meat in its raw form.

This article also explains that canine teeth are often found in animals for purposes other than feeding.

From what I’ve read, anemia is avoid relatively-simply by either making non-heme iron more efficiently absorbed by the body, or by supplementing with a vegetarian-specific multi formula. Not all vegetarians or vegans have anemia. Just like with an omni diet (how many average women are calcium deficient?), nutrient deficiencies can be avoided with a bit of planning.

Depending on the “level” of vegetarianism (lacto-ovo, ovo, lacto, vegan), the macronutrients (protein, carbs, and fat) and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) can be definitely be had without meat.
[/quote]

I’m a vegetarian.

I find that my “level” of vegetarianism is quite satisfying and rewarding.

For the record, I’m a lacto-ovo-pesche-pollo-porco-carne vegetarian.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Artem wrote:
I just don’t like the people who preach their ideals about this.

A healthy vegetarian or vegan diet is possible, but shit like tofu is really fucking unhealthy. Your body barely even knows what to do with that shit.

coming from the guy who I would assume ate his fair share of fast food.[/quote]

No, I didn’t. Just lots of milk.

DoubleDeuce, good call. :wink:

legendaryblaze wrote:

Come on, man. Like I said in my first post in this thread, if you want you get a legitimate point across without sounding condescending or ignorant, I respectfully dare you to try to avoid statements like this.

I know you can explain your ideas without sounding derogatory. Threads like this too often devolve into name-calling (vegetarians are pussies, meat-eaters rockmysox). We’re shooting for a smart, useful discussion here.

We are animals. We have canines for a reason (tear through meat).

Whenever this issue is brought up, it never really felt right, or complete, to me. See the above pic. The mountain gorilla lives on an herbivorous diet, and has canine teeth.

This National Geographic article explains how the Human jaw and teeth have changed over time, and have gradually grown less accustomed to eating meat in its raw form.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/02/0218_050218_human_diet_2.html

This article also explains that canine teeth are often found in animals for purposes other than feeding.

Enjoy your Anemia.

From what I’ve read, anemia is avoid relatively-simply by either making non-heme iron more efficiently absorbed by the body, or by supplementing with a vegetarian-specific multi formula. Not all vegetarians or vegans have anemia. Just like with an omni diet (how many average women are calcium deficient?), nutrient deficiencies can be avoided with a bit of planning.
[/quote]

Alright brohamsky, let us have an intelligent discussion.
I said we have canines to tear meat. Which is true. That is the purpose of canines. Chimpanzess and other apes use their canines to tear meat.
While chimps eat primarly plants and leaves, they have been known to eat some animals and birds when the situation called for it.
Whether they eat an abundance of vegetation or not is besides the point. Their circumstances and environments have led them to rely more on vegetation than meat. Which is fine.
That wasn’t my point though…i am not knocking vegetables and such foods. I am just saying that we can eat meat as well. We are omnivore. We eat both meat and vegetation. To deprive yourself of meat because of some mislead sense of superiority (think of the animals!) is folly, at best.

While i realize that not everyone has anemia, you will notice that my post was directed to a woman, who would be more at risk of anemia. You know…the whole blood loss thing once a month as well as during pregnancy. However that comment was meant in jest, so it’s not important. While you could eat a special diet so you could have more iron in your diet without touching meat, it seems to be something that is more of a pain than it is worth. While i understand people have their opinion and reason on why they eat vegetables, it does not mean i have to agree with them.
As the great Mr. Garrison once said
“Tolerant, but not stupid! Look, just because you have to tolerate something doesn’t mean you have to approve of it! …“Tolerate” means you’re just putting up with it! You tolerate a crying child sitting next to you on the airplane or, or you tolerate a bad cold. It can still piss you off”
You can eat all the plants you want, in the end it’s your problem. However i’ll continue voicing my belief that i think denying yourself meat is absolutely retarded :slight_smile: because really…it is.
For the record, i fucking HATE milk. I detest the taste. I hate it, but i drink it cause it’s really good for you.

I also don’t know if our canines becoming smaller having anything to do with saying if we should eat meat or not. I assume the fact that we discovered fire and became used to eating tenderized meat in soups and otherwise could be a reason for why the human jaw and tooth has changed.
It’s practically unheard of for anyone to eat anything meaty that has not been cooked in one form or another and has been softened up.
This could be a social occurrence and maybe not necessarily a direct evolutionary one.

However my point still stands. You can eat both meat and vegetation.

I dont mind eating meat,I personally like cows alive but i like them just as much cooked rare and covered in a bbq sauce. So as long as I believe the animal was not tortured (veal for example) openly then it doesnt bother me. The fact that all the vegetarians I know have broken down and eaten meat because they were hungry at the time or believe that chickens are somehow a lesser animal and its acceptable to eat them over cows…well you get the point

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I don’t answer any thread that uses the word “anyways” twice.[/quote]

I just went through every thread you’ve posted in to check the truth of that statement…well done good sir.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:
Depending on the “level” of vegetarianism (lacto-ovo, ovo, lacto, vegan), the macronutrients (protein, carbs, and fat) and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) can be definitely be had without meat.

I’m a vegetarian.

I find that my “level” of vegetarianism is quite satisfying and rewarding.

For the record, I’m a lacto-ovo-pesche-pollo-porco-carne vegetarian.[/quote]

LOL!.. I still am!! Sweet, we’re the same level!!

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
We are animals. We have canines for a reason (tear through meat). Just cause we can think doesn’t mean it’s cruel or bad if we eat meat. We have needs too. I am sick of hearing retarded people who think that just because we have a conscience that we are not allowed to look after ourself and give in to our needs and indulgences. We are allowed to be a bit selfish too. This idea is self defeating.

And you eat because if you don’t, you die. Sex is an entirely different matter. Your body has needs and those needs need to be met.

Oh, and you’re hot.

Cheers
[/quote]

Kinda harsh don’t ya think?

And on this I don’t eat meat have not eating it since I was 5 and its not for health or because I feel bad I just really don’t like the taste of it or something in the taste makes me gag. While I know it hurts my gains and have to get most of my protein for other sources I am fine with it but I will not push it on anyone at all it becomes hard to pick places to eat on dates because I am not a meat eater.

[quote]Slayers wrote:
legendaryblaze wrote:

Oh, and you’re hot.

Cheers

Kinda harsh don’t ya think?

And on this I don’t eat meat have not eating it since I was 5 and its not for health or because I feel bad I just really don’t like the taste of it or something in the taste makes me gag. While I know it hurts my gains and have to get most of my protein for other sources I am fine with it but I will not push it on anyone at all it becomes hard to pick places to eat on dates because I am not a meat eater. [/quote]

Have you ever tasted meat ever since you last had it at the age of 5? If you have a bad meat experience then maybe its only normal that you are reminded of it every time you see meat? Do you eat chicken? Fish?
And if ever you decide to try meat again, are you going to try it with an open mind or will your mind already be decided that it will taste awful? And if the taste makes you gag, then mask the taste with sauces or spices.

And yes maybe it was a bit harsh.

I have tried to eat meat a few times since and still get the same problems. I will sometimes eat chicken and fish but I will go through stages where I have no problem eating it for and then I will not touch it.

Where you live should determine your diet. If you live in a mild Mediterranean climate, like Southern Cali, then you can eat more lightly, maybe vegetarian. If you live in a harsh climate like Minnesota, you need protein for your immune system.

Anyone worried about causing animals pain can eat eggs, cheese, milk. There is little pain involved that way.

It’s scientifically proven that if a man doesn’t give some love to his meat every now and then, his balls will explode.

Hence if you are a man, look after your meat.

Reason why I’m a proud meat eatah

EDIT: Wait a sec that sounded gay. Oh shit.

For every animal you don’t eat, I’ll eat three.

Can I ask why you initially decided to go vegan? Moral/ethical reasons? Food allergies? Were you just curious about going meatless?

A few brands make decent-tasting vegan proteins, usually from rice, pea, or hemp. Just throwing this out there. But this is one advantage of a lacto-ovo, lacto, or ovo-vegetarian plan. More diverse food choices and more variety of protein sources.

I thoroughly disagree. It’s difficult, but as I explained when I blogged about my experiment, guys like Joe DeMarco, Alex Dargatz, Jason Ferruggia, and Mike Mahler are strict vegans who gain size and strength, and drop fat. It takes planning, but it can and has been done.[/quote]

Initially I went vegan because I’d been on Weight Watchers for years and had learned to eat vegetarian considering meat was so high on the points scale. I read a book called Skinny Bitch, which explained a lot about why I should eat organic and get rid of all the garbage food and caffeine, which I thought was nutritionally sound. I was never a vegan for moral reasons.

There may be delicious vegan protein powder options out there. I was explaining my point of view. To be frank, I don’t really enjoy ANY protein powder, I prefer to eat whole foods, but the stuff I had access to when I was vegan was particularly heinous.

I specifically said this is not a great diet to be on if you’re sensitive to carbs, my friend, I didn’t say that it was impossible to be a vegan and lift weights. Frankly, my post had nothing to do with if it was a feasible diet for making muscle gain, just so we’re clear. I frequented the Vegan fitness forums, I’ve seen that people can do just great on vegan diets, I’m just not one of them, and I think anyone who is hypoglycemic, or tends to be estrogen dominant, may have a hard time getting really lean on this diet.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
If she wants your dad to be a vegetarian, she needs to start banging him and cooking him food. [/quote]

^ This. Although I wouldn’t go vegetarian for any woman.

[quote]BetaBerry wrote:
I’m a vegetarian, and health is like the last concern on my list of reasons. It may be a nice plus but it’s not the reason. I do it for moral reasons, that I don’t feel like discussing right now. That’s why anyone that does it because it’s trendy or because it’s “healthy” is going to fail after a year or two. Also, before I stopped eating meat (about 3 years ago), I never even liked. I ate it because it was there or because I thought I was supposed to, but I didn’t like the taste, the texture, etc. I eat food because it’s good and I don’t overthink about everything I eat. Eating for health only, in my opinion, is like having sex for reproduction only. [/quote]

You used to be cool.

:frowning:

[quote]Makavali wrote:
BetaBerry wrote:
I’m a vegetarian, and health is like the last concern on my list of reasons. It may be a nice plus but it’s not the reason. I do it for moral reasons, that I don’t feel like discussing right now. That’s why anyone that does it because it’s trendy or because it’s “healthy” is going to fail after a year or two. Also, before I stopped eating meat (about 3 years ago), I never even liked. I ate it because it was there or because I thought I was supposed to, but I didn’t like the taste, the texture, etc. I eat food because it’s good and I don’t overthink about everything I eat. Eating for health only, in my opinion, is like having sex for reproduction only.

You used to be cool.

:([/quote]

Yo where ya been?

I hate it when parents have their kids have a vegetarian diet. The kids often become very frail and sickly looking especially as they grow into teenagers. As far as I know it is very hard to get enough protein if you dont eat meat, eggs or dairy products. Me personally I eat meat maybe once a week but everyday I eat eggs, cheese, peanut butter and I drink lots of milk.