Converse All Stars or Asics

She’s wrong to recommend any squishy soled shoe for lifting, but she may not be wrong to discourage Chucks. She’s right that they provide minimal arch support, so for people with any real arch to their foot, it would be beneficial to wear a shoe that has a hard sole AND reasonable arch support. Chucks with a good insole work, as would real squat shoes like the Safe shoe or whatnot.

Barefoot lifting is good as a general thing, but when you get heavy, it’s pretty hard for your feet to keep up.

-Dan

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
G87 wrote:
Converse for lifting, asics for running.

How light are the asics? I need new running shoes but, for years all I have worn are vans and nike free’s for lifting/running. Any other shoes feel like I am running with bricks for shoes.[/quote]

I’ve worn lots of different running shoe brands and will now never use anything but Asics. I find them light and my feet like them.

As far as converse, I’m thinking of getting a pair. I’m obviously going to go for high-top pink chucks to match my pink belt. I’ll be the prettiest princess at all future PL meets :slight_smile:

Has she proven that the shoes are a reason you are having to see her in the first place? Have they (the Chucks) caused you any injuries or exacerbated any? If not & you are lifting OK, it might time for a new physio :stuck_out_tongue:

I would love to see an scientific article stating ‘chucks’ are good for lifting.

I prefer work boot to chucks, no joke!!

If I have my Nikes, I use them but I would rather use Dr. Martens or any other work boot than converse.

Chucks and Dickies are great but I can’t lift in them.

I understand people who like them but they are only for lifting not for lateral training as one poster a few months ago was saying…

G’s up Hoes down…

I wear Asics for weightlifting…not the running kind. Asics also have a sub-brand called “Tiger” that have a flat sole, like Chucks but I think it is thinner so your feet are a little closer to the floor.

I feel fine when I squat, deadlift, whatever in them. To me it feels the same as if I were doing it barefoot.

I don’t see a need to wear chucks for anything besides deadlifting or similar movements.

I only wear chucks on days I work out my back. Wearing other sneakers has not affected lifts like bench press and bicep curl. I’m more into comfort.

I also don’t do cardio though. I would get a pair of appropriate sneakers if I did though.

i finally picked up a pair of chucks and so far i totally dig em, feels great for squating/deadlift variations

[quote]JGerman wrote:
I would love to see an scientific article stating ‘chucks’ are good for lifting.

I prefer work boot to chucks, no joke!!

[/quote]

I had a mate go train ‘oly lifting’ at the AIS (Australian Institute of Sport), their preference was for proper lifting shoes for all athletes, a secondary option if money was an issue, was work boots, i think he said something about having the heel slightly elevated being an advantage…

Also for running shoes all the (knowledgeable) sales people i have spoken to, in general terms; have Asics first, with Brooks a close second, and 3 or 4 other brands a distant third… But it does depend on your individual foot, arch, roll, etc, which shoe is actually best for your foot and running pattern.

Personally i like to wear green nike’s when lifting, as pictured below…

or above??

[quote]jc2000 wrote:
Personally i like to wear green nike’s when lifting, as pictured below…

[/quote]

Do you wear the shorts as well :wink:

only when squatting & deadlifting…

they, ummmm, have an in-built belt.

Deadlifts and Squats went really well with chucks.

i wear nike free 5.0’s