T Nation

Converse All Stars or Asics

Just got back from a physio therapist. When I told her that I lifted weights wearing converse she nearly laughed in my face. But loads of articles and threads here say how good they are.
What do you think?

Why did she laugh at you? Did she explain her reasoning, cite any studies, etc.?

She just said that training in converse was a big no-no. That the feet flatten out in them and that they are shit cause they don’t support your arches.

I saw this title and though, i wear both shoes, one for lifting and the other for various other activities.

I’m really sure your physiotherapist has a lot of experience in lifting weights.

I wear flat chucks to lift because there is no squish, they are more stable. I wear running shoes to…run.

Being barefoot doesn’t support your arches either, yet the human race has made it this far…

i do all my lifts in chucks*. i can’t stand when i forget them and have to lift in other sneakers. i can feel all my energy dissipating in the cushioned soles of other shoes, especially while deadlifting.

*hi-top chucks of course since low-tops are for sissies.

Watch someone squat “heavy” in cushioned sneakers and see how their feet start to tilt/roll outwards…

I love my Chucks. I can really push against the shoe and get what little power I have to the ground, especially when I squat wide. Only con so far is that the left one keeps making an annoying bop bop sound when I walk which pisses me off… come to think of it, that might actually help me lift more.

[quote]R@NE wrote:
Only con so far is that the left one keeps making an annoying bop bop sound when I walk which pisses me off…
[/quote]

that’s really strange…mine does the same thing about 25% of the time. i have no idea what causes it, and it’s only the left one.

[quote]Cathall L DW wrote:
Just got back from a physio therapist. When I told her that I lifted weights wearing converse she nearly laughed in my face. But loads of articles and threads here say how good they are.
What do you think?[/quote]

She is an idiot. I lift in bare feet…that is the best. Otherwise any shoe that does not compress and is flat is the way to go.

She just said that training in converse was a big no-no. That the feet flatten out in them and that they are shit cause they don’t support your arches.
[/quote]

I would stop going to her.

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
R@NE wrote:
Only con so far is that the left one keeps making an annoying bop bop sound when I walk which pisses me off…

that’s really strange…mine does the same thing about 25% of the time. i have no idea what causes it, and it’s only the left one.[/quote]

Mine does it too!

Converse for lifting, asics for running.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
iamthewolf wrote:
R@NE wrote:

that’s really strange…mine does the same thing about 25% of the time. i have no idea what causes it, and it’s only the left one.

Mine does it too![/quote]

Goddamnit, we need to solve this puzzle…

Only issues I can think of at this time are that the seams in my shoes aren’t completely uniform and I might of bought them half a size too large. Lace tightness has no effect unless they are completely open.

[quote]G87 wrote:
Converse for lifting, asics for running. [/quote]

How light are the asics? I need new running shoes but, for years all I have worn are vans and nike free’s for lifting/running. Any other shoes feel like I am running with bricks for shoes.

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
R@NE wrote:

that’s really strange…mine does the same thing about 25% of the time. i have no idea what causes it, and it’s only the left one.[/quote]

its from the rubber top over the toes indenting as you walk.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
G87 wrote:
Converse for lifting, asics for running.

How light are the asics? I need new running shoes but, for years all I have worn are vans and nike free’s for lifting/running. Any other shoes feel like I am running with bricks for shoes.[/quote]

I’ve had a lot of bad experiences with Nike shoes, Asics are good stuff.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
iamthewolf wrote:
R@NE wrote:

its from the rubber top over the toes indenting as you walk. [/quote]

Well yes, but why only the left? How to fix this?

When I told her that I lifted weights wearing converse she nearly laughed in my face. [/quote]

This is how you know it’s time to see a new physio. Ask her about proprioception and which shoe will give your CNS greater feedback in regards to muscle tension, weight shifts, ability to right yourself, load and range of motion.

Training barefoot is the best way to train but obviously that’s not going to happen in a commercial gym so the thinnest flat bottom shoes you can find are best. Or vibrim five fingers.

Your physio is behind the times which means she’s probably using outdated methods to treat whatever you went there to get diagnosed and fixed in the first place.

[quote]R@NE wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
iamthewolf wrote:
R@NE wrote:

its from the rubber top over the toes indenting as you walk.

Well yes, but why only the left? How to fix this?
[/quote]

grow different feet.

depending on how tight the toe is against the top of the shoe is going to make the difference on whether or not it happens. maybe your right foot is slightly bigger than your left or maybe your right is tied different from your left.

if its THAT bad to you, take your sock and leave a little extra on the toe area so that it scrunches up when you put your shoe up and will press against the top of the shoe. …its a trick for AF1’s to keep from creasing…although its near impossible to have AF1’s that dont crease