T Nation

Controlling The Bar (Oly Lifts)

after cleans and presses and snatches… how do you control the motion?

i’m not snatching much (120) but my shoulders sorta snap as the weight comes down, and i feel… err, like snapping isn’t what should be happening? it hasn’t caused anything major, my for a few hours post workout, the shoulder joints smart a little…

is this a part of the adaptation process that one must go through to achieve successful execution of the lifts? or is there a ‘correct’ way to do ride em down?

are you doing any kind of shoulder preparation work? presses and overhead holds and such? How’s your warmup?

When you lift in an olympic lifting gym, they don’t “unrack” the weights and lower them down, snapping the shoulders (at least with heavier weights).

They drop them under control onto a special floor/lifting platform. Go to youtube or google video to see what I mean. In a commercial gym, or with lighter weights you can unrack from the clean position, but I would be careful because if you are feeling pain or a loss of control, you are setting yourself up for injury to the shoulder or back.

You nedd to evaluate the risk vs. rewards. Optimal warm up and shoulder health will be very important too.

first clip I found of the “drops”.

i bike to the gym (most of the time, unless weather sucks), 20 mins. after i reach the gym, i do 6 sets of ab work, 4 sets of push ups and 4 sets of chins/lat pulldowns… usually thats the warmup phase of the workout i guess… after that i hit the heavier, serious weights…

special mat? hmm… then how do you do the O’lifts in a gym lacking the amenities? no, i’m not switching gyms, or buying the mat… I’m not lifting crazy weights, but i ‘drop’ the bar, my thighs are sore because i bounce it off slightly to offset the drop force, but more importantly, the noise actually makes the cardio bunnies squeal…

anyone deal through this sorta problem?

cmon guys… don’t tell me you have ALL the things u want in your gym!! :S u do?? get outta here!..

[quote]burning ice wrote:
cmon guys… don’t tell me you have ALL the things u want in your gym!! :S u do?? get outta here!..

[/quote]

Hey, I’m in a similar situation as far as not having a platform to drop the bar. I don’t have any experience with the snatch but do perform power cleans. When you lower the weight, do you use your upper back to actively slow the weight? Or do you rely on your thighs and let your joint take the brunt of the force?

When you hit your thighs, where does it contact? Upper, lower, or middle? Check out this Pyrros Dimas video. Right off he is doing doubles in the snatch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVB_rQFSsEg

He lowers after the first rep then drops after the second. He also cushions the descent with his thighs on the first rep. Are you contacting in a similar spot? I know when he lets the weight hit the floor it isn’t soft, but he is using quite a bit more weight than you. (the 120 was pounds not kilos, right?) Hope this helps.

Edit: Also watch these videos. Very helpful. The snatch pull and power snatch video is the one you want. Watch how Matt Bruce lowers the weight after the lift. It’s very slow and controlled.

http://www.aceathlete.com/hatch/video.htm

Cueball, I’ve seen that Pyrros Dimas video before…that is absolute perfection.

I haven’t done this yet, but this is what I’m planning for next week to be able to do oly lifting. My power rack has bar holders on the front outside part of the rack. I’m going to set them to the height where I finish and perform the lift outside the cage, walk towards it and place the bar on the holders, unload the bar to a manageble weight, lower it back to the ground and reload it.

after a certain weight (think more for your clean and jerks), its all you can do but to slow the bar down before it hits (also from and working in a commercial gym, this is not the optimal solution, but the only comprimise i’ve come between performing the lifts and not getting the boot)

-with the snatches, its much harsher letting the weights come down, so what i’ve started doing, is after the catch, i toss the bar again and slide my hands inwards, into the clean position, where its not nearly as uncomfortable to bring down (still is, but not as severe)

-i dont know how much longer i’ll be able to do this on a consistant basis either though, them bruises on the thighs are Not going away haha

[quote]brian.m wrote:
after a certain weight (think more for your clean and jerks), its all you can do but to slow the bar down before it hits (also from and working in a commercial gym, this is not the optimal solution, but the only comprimise i’ve come between performing the lifts and not getting the boot)

-with the snatches, its much harsher letting the weights come down, so what i’ve started doing, is after the catch, i toss the bar again and slide my hands inwards, into the clean position, where its not nearly as uncomfortable to bring down (still is, but not as severe)

-i dont know how much longer i’ll be able to do this on a consistant basis either though, them bruises on the thighs are Not going away haha[/quote]

Another solution with snatches is to use a closer grip in the first place. It means you can’t use as much weight (because you have to get it up higher) but that doesn’t matter if you’re not competing.