T Nation

Controlling Muscle Growth?

Okay, this is probably a stupid question. I feel kind of stupid just asking it, so I expect some flak. However, it’s in my head and bugging me, so yeah.

How do you avoid getting ‘to big?’ What I mean by that is…lets say you have a specific way of how you want to look. Like I want my chest to be x inches. Or my forearms to be x. Etc. You don’t want to be a bodybuilder, just look awesome naked. And you achieve those goals after x amount of time of training.

But you’re young. And you want to keep training throughout your life, but don’t want to be packing on muscle for the next 20 years and just keep getting bigger (I know it doesn’t work quite like that, but I think most people will get what I mean). How do you continue heavy lifting and the like without adding more size? God, I feel stupid just asking…but it wont leave my head til I get it out…

Another another, similar note. Let’s say you’ve been working up to your specific size goals, or maybe even have met them, but feel it would be beneficial to your overall health to spend a couple months working on say your energy system or you want to try out a sport, amateur boxing, rock climbing (though the worry in this question may be good for this one…) or whatever and want to invest the bulk of your training into this activity.

How do you stop or minimize size loss while going after a specific, unrelated goal? Let’s say you’re focusing cardiovascular improvement and your training is heavily made up of complexes, sprints, etc. You’re using much less weight than your size/strength workouts…how do you keep that muscle mass that your body no longer needs? Or do you just kind of have to deal with losing some overall size for a couple months then return to heavy training and earn it back?

To stop getting bigger it’s all diet, if you don’t eat enough you don’t get bigger. Pretty simple. You can get stronger without getting very much bigger to a certain degree if you limit your diet.

To keep muscle while doing alot of cardio you’d want to keep overloading them with heavy weight but probably allow more time for recovery since you’re doing other training on top of that. You’d probably end up losing some size and strength anyways, I mean you can’t expect to maintain top form in weightlifting if you aren’t giving it your full attention.

Hope that helps

Just follow the same routine that just about every other guy in your gym does (if it’s like mine). They spend years training and never change their physiques.

[quote]pcdude wrote:
Just follow the same routine that just about every other guy in your gym does (if it’s like mine). They spend years training and never change their physiques.[/quote]

This, it is funny because it is true.

[quote]benos4752 wrote:
How do you avoid getting ‘to big?’[/quote]

Adding muscle past the newbie phase is incredibly difficult for most people, so it’s not going to happen by mistake.

Someone wrote an article a while back about genetic plateau’s…

Something like, depending on your body type, (with the right amount of lifting) you can gain about 20 lbs the first year, then 10/yr after that… until you reach your genetic plateau… . or something to that effect… Anyway, it’s not like it’s going to sneak up on you and you wake up 30 pounds heavier.

If you notice yourself getting “too big” eat less and train the same. Maybe get out of the 8-10 rep range and do some strength stuff or some high rep training.

You’ve probably got a while to go though, and will have a lot figured out about your body by then.

Oh, and don’t ever say you would be happy with your body at a certain weight, once you get there, you will change your mind. If someone says they are happy where they are, they are lying. - In my opinion.

This is like worrying about driving your car too much because you might end up in a nascar crash.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
This is like worrying about driving your car too much because you might end up in a nascar crash.[/quote]

^^ This is perfect.

[quote]Im_New_Feed_Me wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
This is like worrying about driving your car too much because you might end up in a nascar crash.[/quote]

^^ This is perfect.[/quote]

I heard a similiar statement before. I don’t play football because I don’t want to end up in the NFL.

Getting too big is not something you should be worried about. You’ll likely never be too big and if you are, losing muscle is easy. Sit on your couch for a few weeks and/or stop eating.

well you know that if you want to improve a lift faster then you need to increase the frequency that you train the lift. so if you want to plataue then just reduce frequency i guess. just do compound lifts, that will save time.
but i think genetics are important, husky people are better at benching, ect

[quote]eremesu wrote:
well you know that if you want to improve a lift faster then you need to increase the frequency that you train the lift. so if you want to plataue then just reduce frequency i guess. just do compound lifts, that will save time.
but i think genetics are important, husky people are better at benching, ect[/quote]

Husky = short limbs. I am far from husky, but my tiny t-rex arms make me an awesome presser and curler.

Jesus why does everyone want to overcomplicate things.

If eating a certain number of calories with a certain ratio of macros, and lifiting a certain amount of weight with a certain amount of sets and reps using a certain routine, gets you to a certain size and strength level and you don’t want to go any further then don’t.

In other words if what you are doing got you where you want to be and you dont want to progress further and are satisfied then just maintain what you are doing.

It’s not rocket science. Gaining size for most people is extremely hard and the majority of people despite their delusions don’t make any noticible progress period. I have been training and training others for 25 yrs the same people I saw when I first entered the gym look exactly the same today as they did back then.

So if you find a certain combination of variables that gets you to where you want to be and that makes you content then you have achevied what most don’t and you never have to push it any further.

If you still don’t get it then let me put it this way if you said I run 5 miles every day and I never want to run 10 how do I keep from doing it? Whould anyone really be stumped as to how to not accomplish that?

the last sentence in my response was a non-sequiter. but you gotta spend money to make money

Haha you will find out soon enough that you can’t get “too big.” Gaining muscle is hard work.

I want to smack the OP…

[quote]Marlind wrote:
I want to smack the OP…[/quote]

Why? He posted it in the beginners section; as well as prefacing it with “this is probably a stupid question. I feel kind of stupid just asking it”. What’s he done wrong eh?

[quote]trav123456 wrote:
To stop getting bigger it’s all diet, if you don’t eat enough you don’t get bigger. Pretty simple. You can get stronger without getting very much bigger to a certain degree if you limit your diet.

To keep muscle while doing alot of cardio you’d want to keep overloading them with heavy weight but probably allow more time for recovery since you’re doing other training on top of that. You’d probably end up losing some size and strength anyways, I mean you can’t expect to maintain top form in weightlifting if you aren’t giving it your full attention.

Hope that helps[/quote]

what he said ^^^

[quote]kanew wrote:

[quote]Marlind wrote:

Why? He posted it in the beginners section; as well as prefacing it with “this is probably a stupid question. I feel kind of stupid just asking it”. What’s he done wrong eh?

[/quote]
Because people fuckin underestimate the work and dedication it requires to become big and think they’ll become HYOUUGEE overnight,while the others struggle for years lifting heavy and eating a shit ton going through intense bulks and even need chemical assistance to become big.Its liek a slap to the face for everyone who trains hard.

[quote]Marlind wrote:

[quote]kanew wrote:

[quote]Marlind wrote:

[/quote]
Because people fuckin underestimate the work and dedication it requires to become big and think they’ll become HYOUUGEE overnight,while the others struggle for years lifting heavy and eating a shit ton going through intense bulks and even need chemical assistance to become big.Its liek a slap to the face for everyone who trains hard.[/quote]

It’s the beginner’s forum. No need to shit on people here. He’s here to learn.

[quote]Marlind wrote:

[quote]kanew wrote:

[quote]Marlind wrote:

[/quote]
Because people fuckin underestimate the work and dedication it requires to become big and think they’ll become HYOUUGEE overnight,while the others struggle for years lifting heavy and eating a shit ton going through intense bulks and even need chemical assistance to become big.Its liek a slap to the face for everyone who trains hard.[/quote]

Lol I feel your pain dude. It makes me cringe when I hear people say “I don’t lift heavy because I don’t want to get bulky” and it took me 3 months to gain 10 clean pounds.