Controlling Anger While Dieting

How do you do it?

I am a seriously pissed off jerk when dieting. I feel on edge… Hyper-alert… A great state to be in for a Spartan Warrior, or a caveman. And so, that all makes sense; I think this is actually the state I SHOULD be in.

However, on the subway every morning I think it’s a miracle that I get to school without punching anyone.

Especially those a$$holes that eat pizza on the train.

And that’s just one example. How do YOU deal with it?

What? :smiley:

I never experienced that, except I have more hype (energy) during my volleyball practices. I just take my hunger as it is and calmly make it to the next feeding.

Although I never fall into a ‘pissed off’ state, I do get more easily annoyed at things that would not have bothered me before.

Music really helps here, something slow and calming. Otherwise, pump yourself up full of stimulants like yohimbine and feel happy.

While I don’t feel upset, or angry during my work day, when I’m at the gym, and ‘letting the tiger out of the cage’ so to speak, things are more likely to set me off,… like some jackass last week who came over and bent down to remove the attachment on the lower cable while I was mid set doing heavy pressdowns with the top! I lost it a bit, dropped the weight (close to the full stack), and as he stumbled backwards, screamed at the moron.

Now I get teased when I walk into the gym by the other regulars who witnessed the incident… “hey Stu, Whose gym is this?!” (goes along with the usual mid-set greeting I receive :“Place at the table!” -lol)

Off season though, as stupid as this guy was, I probably would have been a bit nicer in explaining why he just made just a bone-head move - I know most people wouldn’t remain this calm, but I guess I’ve mellowed a bit with age :slight_smile:

S

[quote]mithious wrote:
How do you do it?

I am a seriously pissed off jerk when dieting. I feel on edge… Hyper-alert… A great state to be in for a Spartan Warrior, or a caveman. And so, that all makes sense; I think this is actually the state I SHOULD be in.

However, on the subway every morning I think it’s a miracle that I get to school without punching anyone.

Especially those a$$holes that eat pizza on the train.

And that’s just one example. How do YOU deal with it?[/quote]

So… Eating pizza on the train makes you an asshole now? Hmm, never really thought of that.

dude do you have a problem with pizza? or is it just that your on a diet and cant have pizza, while those “assholes” can?
maybe its just a mental thing thats in the back of your mind, maybe its the little voice inside you that is fighting against you and wants you to enjoy the fat and carb rich foods

in all seriousness i think you might want to go over your diet, i mean did you start cutting off alot of calories ei you went from 3000 to 2000, or is it a smaller decrease ei 3000 to 2700, because i know there have been days when im not really able to get enough food during the day due to being so busy and at the end of the day im just annoyed by anything, . . . . . any small fucking thing

and how to controll your anger, you’ll get plenty of better answers to that than what i’ll say to do

cant remember where it was, but i do remember someone saying, that it is your choice to diet so dont be a fucking asshole its not everyone elses problem. thats not it word for word, but the the same principle.

[quote]silverhydra wrote:
Although I never fall into a ‘pissed off’ state, I do get more easily annoyed at things that would not have bothered me before.

Music really helps here, something slow and calming. Otherwise, pump yourself up full of stimulants like yohimbine and feel happy.[/quote]

X2. I’ve been mentally sharp and my energy levels are sky high on EC (ephedrine/caffeine). It also suppresses appetite so I don’t mind those assholes in the break room scarfing down donuts, cake, drinking after staff meetings, free pizza, etc.

How long have you been dieting? Maybe it’s time for a free meal or refeed just for the psychological boost.

Cutting weight, like for wrestling, now that’s a real son of a bitch. But anyways, I do know the feeling. I think supplements can definitely help with the hunger levels (which I think is highly tied with the anger you describe).

I just use it to my advantage. I tell coworkers that if they don’t get me what I need in time, I will eat them.

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:
I just use it to my advantage. I tell coworkers that if they don’t get me what I need in time, I will eat them.[/quote]

Ha ha… This cheered me up.

Anyway, it makes me feel better to know I’m not the only one. It is interesting however the amount of responses from guys that don’t feel this way when dieting. I was mistakenly thinking it was universal.

Sugar free Jello with topped with 95% fat free Cool whip.

Under 5 carbs, Dieting doesn’t have to suck man.

Be more active and eat. It’s all mental, my woman has learned to control her emotions during PMS and you can’t control your anger because of a few less calories?

Now that you recognize that you’re more prone to losing your temper while dieting, you can be more aware when it starts to happen… then try to step back/outside yourself for a moment, and remind yourself it’s just a mood swing, it’s going to pass quickly, and you really don’t want to punch somebody/yell at your girl/tell your boss to go to hell/etc.

I did a month-long protein-sparing modified fast (my version of V-Diet) two different times, and I was pretty edgy, especially in the first days. I had to remind myself to be nice to people, more than a few times.

You can control how you respond to your emotions. You’ll still be irritated by stuff, but nobody will think you’re an irrational asshole, if you can do that.

Also, like Darkane said, figure out some low carb substitutions for cheat foods, so you don’t feel like you’re torturing yourself.