T Nation

Controlling Adrenaline Surge

Hey,

I don’t know where to post this, not sure if it is better suited to the combat forum or not but thought I’d post it here.

Bit of a stupid question really, just thought I’d see if anyone else had any similar problems or could offer any advice.

Basically whenever I’m in any sort of confrontational situation I get a massive adrenaline surge, beyond the extent of what is probably considered normal. My hands and feet go really cold and clammy and I feel palpatations and I continue to feel these effects for several hours afterwards I don’t necessarily feel scared when this happens, in fact most often it happens in completely benign situations. For example it happened earlier today when I confronted a neighbour about how much noise he was making having a party, despite the fact that he didn’t appear aggressive and was a lot smaller than me.

Anyway, I find it to be a really unhelpful trait to have and I was just wondering if anyone else experiences anything like this or can offer any advice on how to control it?

Thanks

I suspect you’re not alone in this and when left unchecked, upwards of 75% of your fellow ragers end up locked up.

From what you describe, it actually sounds like an anxiety response as well. Good for you to seek out how to control/eliminate it earlier than later…

Maybe you really hate the Queen and used this chap to vent your frustration about the jubilee?

Seriously though, maybe it’s best to see a GP as I don’t think internet forums are really the best vehicles for medical diagnoses. It could be a minor heart problem or maybe it’s nothing.

[quote]chillain wrote:
I suspect you’re not alone in this and when left unchecked, upwards of 75% of your fellow ragers end up locked up.

From what you describe, it actually sounds like an anxiety response as well. Good for you to seek out how to control/eliminate it earlier than later…

[/quote]

Thanks for your help. I’m worried you might be right, I’ll really look into it.

And I’m not sure if I came across right in my original post, this seems to be a response to anger rather than fear. I’m not saying I don’t get scared, I’m just saying anger seems to be the predominant emotion.

I’d really like to sort this out. I’ve not been in any sort of trouble before but I’m in a career which doesn’t allow for any whatsoever and so I’d like to learn to sort it!

Thanks again.

therapy bro…gotta talk shit out. for reals.

I get the same way when talking in front of a lecture room filled with students. however the experience doesn’t last for hours afterwards. I’d definitely say anxiety of some sort.

Let me guess… you probably work in a lab of some kind. It’s a side effect of being exposed to Gamma Radiation, brah.

Just make sure your pants are just big enough to become shorts when you hulk out and they tear.

Your doc would probably be thrilled to investigate a possible pheochromocytoma.

[quote]kakno wrote:
Your doc would probably be thrilled to investigate a possible pheochromocytoma.[/quote]

I’m don’t think its a phaeo as I’m actually more on the hypotensive side (110/55), but I’ll look into it. Thanks.

It’s good you’re aware that it’s an issue, but definitely make sure you’re getting the proper medical help on this…way too potentially serious to rely on an internet diagnoses.

Did you ever get in school yard fights as a kid? How many real fights have you been in?

I have had (and still do have) similar issues.

It’s an anger problem.

If this arises, be conscious of the fact that you’re letting something benign bother you. Embrace it, accept it, it’s okay. This will eventually allow you to move past it, and recognize that in the grand scheme of things, if you’re still alive thirty years from now you probably won’t remember it, it probably won’t matter, and life will continue on regardless of your anger.

Btw, I would highly recommend “The Miracle of Mindfulness.” It’s extremely cheap and I’m willing to bet a large sum of money it will do you good.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Did you ever get in school yard fights as a kid? How many real fights have you been in?[/quote]

I got in quite a few at school. I was always a nerd and stood up for myself/got beaten up by other kids a fair bit up to the age of 17. Nothing that serious though, and I haven’t been in any situations like that since leaving school. Though that could be more to do with the fact that I don’t really ever go to places where situations like that could arise.

[quote]SSC wrote:
I have had (and still do have) similar issues.

It’s an anger problem.

If this arises, be conscious of the fact that you’re letting something benign bother you. Embrace it, accept it, it’s okay. This will eventually allow you to move past it, and recognize that in the grand scheme of things, if you’re still alive thirty years from now you probably won’t remember it, it probably won’t matter, and life will continue on regardless of your anger.

Btw, I would highly recommend “The Miracle of Mindfulness.” It’s extremely cheap and I’m willing to bet a large sum of money it will do you good.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the help, appreciate it :).

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Did you ever get in school yard fights as a kid? How many real fights have you been in?[/quote]

Why do you ask, D?

Classic roid rage.

[quote]A.Lurker wrote:
Classic roid rage.[/quote]

I’m completely natural, don’t even take creatine haha

[quote]furo wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Did you ever get in school yard fights as a kid? How many real fights have you been in?[/quote]

I got in quite a few at school. I was always a nerd and stood up for myself/got beaten up by other kids a fair bit up to the age of 17. Nothing that serious though, and I haven’t been in any situations like that since leaving school. Though that could be more to do with the fact that I don’t really ever go to places where situations like that could arise.[/quote]

I, like you, was mistreated in school.

Same thing happened to me until i was about 22. I took a job as a security guard for extra money, and without going into detail, I basically dealt with violent psychos once or twice per week. Never got the palpitaions or clammy hands ever again.

The only thing I can surmise is that once my brain figured out that I can legally defend myself with force, everything seemed ok. Almost like a license to battle.

A couple of tips that helped me:

  1. Even though you still will sometimes, try not to dwell on things. People like me and you tend to bottle up our emotions and explode. Often times we make a big deal out of something in our heads and get angry over little snarky or wise-ass things people say, and then BOOM. Get it off of your chest NOW by talking it out controlled.

  2. 10 deep breaths. When I’m angry about things, especially things people say that are rude, I notice that I don’t breathe like I should. I take short, almost unnoticeable breaths that often lead to the strange angry adrenaline rush. 10 deep breaths.

  3. Crank it out in the gym. Focus on whatever got you riled up beforehand, and exert external force in the gym. If I’m angry, then i go to the gym, I alsmost always have a clear head by the time I’m done.

PM me if you want.

I wouldn’t go to a doc. They’ll just give you Zoloft. Drugs are not the answer.

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:

[quote]furo wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Did you ever get in school yard fights as a kid? How many real fights have you been in?[/quote]

I got in quite a few at school. I was always a nerd and stood up for myself/got beaten up by other kids a fair bit up to the age of 17. Nothing that serious though, and I haven’t been in any situations like that since leaving school. Though that could be more to do with the fact that I don’t really ever go to places where situations like that could arise.[/quote]

I, like you, was mistreated in school.

Same thing happened to me until i was about 22. I took a job as a security guard for extra money, and without going into detail, I basically dealt with violent psychos once or twice per week. Never got the palpitaions or clammy hands ever again.

The only thing I can surmise is that once my brain figured out that I can legally defend myself with force, everything seemed ok. Almost like a license to battle.

A couple of tips that helped me:

  1. Even though you still will sometimes, try not to dwell on things. People like me and you tend to bottle up our emotions and explode. Often times we make a big deal out of something in our heads and get angry over little snarky or wise-ass things people say, and then BOOM. Get it off of your chest NOW by talking it out controlled.

  2. 10 deep breaths. When I’m angry about things, especially things people say that are rude, I notice that I don’t breathe like I should. I take short, almost unnoticeable breaths that often lead to the strange angry adrenaline rush. 10 deep breaths.

  3. Crank it out in the gym. Focus on whatever got you riled up beforehand, and exert external force in the gym. If I’m angry, then i go to the gym, I alsmost always have a clear head by the time I’m done.

PM me if you want.[/quote]

That’s great, thank you so much for the advice. I will do these things. I can really relate to the things you have said. Thanks again for the help I really appreciate it.