T Nation

Contrasting Advice On My Workout Program On AAS

Got one side of advice saying more excersises for each body part and another, no you need more rest.

Day 1 - Workout A
Pull Up 4x10
Barbell Standing Shrugs 3x10
Barbell Curl 3x10
Standing Press 4x10
Side Lats Dumbells 3x12
Front Lats Dumbells 3x12

Day 2 - Workout B
Squat 5x10
Calve Standing Press 3x15
Side Squat 3x10
Lunges 3x15

Day 3 - Workout C
Bench Press 4x8
Skull Crushers 3x10
Dumbell Flyes 3x15
Overhead Dumbell Extension 3x15

Day 4 - Rest

REPEAT!

The first set on each excersise i shy away from 1 or 2 reps from FAILURE and rest 60 seconds inbetween sets. Each workout session is about 40-80 minutes long

Do you have any workout advice e.g. aditional excersises required, or frequency to be altered.

Any advice is welcome.

Plan on working them glutes and lats anytime soon?

I’d say you can settle for a bit more volume IF your nutrition and supplementation are decent.

I’m just pulling this out of my ass, but with a 3 days in, 1 day off cycle and similar volume I’d do this:

Day 1 - Workout A
Pull Up 4x10
Bent-over row 4x6
Military Press 4x6
Close-grip lateral pulldown 4x7
Bent-over lateral raise 4x10

Day 2 - Workout B
Squat 5x6
Romanian Deadlift 5x6
Hack squat 4x10
Weighted Lunges 3x15
Back extension 3x12 (weighted if necessary)

Day 3 - Workout C
Bench Press 4x6 superset with dumbell flyes
Dumbell Flyes 4x10
Skull Crushers 4x6
Upright row 4x6
Dips 3x to failure

Day 4 - Rest

That’s basically a beginner’s program but I think it’s fairly complete, after a couple months you can jack up the intensity by introducing drop sets, rest-pause, forced reps, more supersets, whatever.

Good luck! If you absolutely want to do curls you can do them on day 1 I guess.

[quote]Release wrote:
Day 1 - Workout A
Pull Up 4x10
Barbell Standing Shrugs 3x10
Barbell Curl 3x10
Standing Press 4x10
Side Lats Dumbells 3x12
Front Lats Dumbells 3x12

Day 2 - Workout B
Squat 5x10
Calve Standing Press 3x15
Side Squat 3x10
Lunges 3x15

Day 3 - Workout C
Bench Press 4x8
Skull Crushers 3x10
Dumbell Flyes 3x15
Overhead Dumbell Extension 3x15

Day 4 - Rest

REPEAT!

[/quote]

Lats and glutes? I see both getting worked (in bold type).

Maybe add in some rows but those bodyparts are getting hit.

This is the 3rd or so time I’ve seen this lately and it drive me nuts

The “lat” in lat pulldown does NOT stand for lateral.

And to add, if you are going on AAS shouldn’t you be well aware of what a training program should look like?

Err… So you think the sub-par stimulation from squats and lunges will build hamstrings and glutes? It’s gonna quickly become a weakness when he becomes quad-dominant. And as far as back, he’s only working the upper lats to some extent with 4 sets of pulls ups… No rowing? No lower back work except for squats?

Anyways, to each his own but the posterior chain is the last bodypart I would consider neglecting.

About Close grip pulldown, that’s right i’m sorry :open_mouth:

[quote]Kataklysm wrote:
Err… So you think the sub-par stimulation from squats and lunges will build hamstrings and glutes? It’s gonna quickly become a weakness when he becomes quad-dominant. [/quote]

So you believe that hamstrings and glute are not sufficiently stimulated during squats and lunges?

Have you even seen his squat style? Have you seen a proper lunge?

My hamstrings and glutes get sore every time I squat deep, and my glutes are trashed with lunges. Maybe I’m an alien.

Sure some deadlifting would be nice but I was trying to address the fact that you wrote that he was not hitting lats and glutes at all.

No need to attack my squats, my depth is fine thank you :stuck_out_tongue: If you do, it’s fine but personnally I don’t find lunges and squats to be enough work for glutes, hamstrings and the lower back. I think those bodyparts deserve their own exercices, unlike rear delts and biceps for example.

What I tried to address with my initial post was that the workout is giving more attention to shoulders than middle back, lower back, hamstrings and glutes altogether.

[quote]Kataklysm wrote:
No need to attack my squats, my depth is fine thank you :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote]

I hear ya brother. That is not the workout I would personally prescribe either as I’m a posterior chain fanatic. I do distinctly remember my quads shrinking a bit while my hams and hips grew from a wider stance and forcing myself to sit back farther in the squat.

An Olympic style squat however, probably not as much.

(You don’t think I was attacking your squats do you? I’m sure your depth is fine.)

Haha my depth does suck sometimes :slight_smile: I still don’t always feel comfortable squatting. Anyways, sorry for the disagreement I was only hoping to give advice since I suffered from posterior chain weakness myself

[quote]derek wrote:
while my hams and hips grew from a wider stance and forcing myself to sit back farther in the squat.

[/quote]

Yeah see I’m not nearly skilled enough yet to tweak my squat like that. I’m sure it does trash your hamstrings tho, a trainer at my gym says you can work your whole legs if you know good squat variations.

[quote]Kataklysm wrote:
Haha my depth does suck sometimes :slight_smile: I still don’t always feel comfortable squatting. Anyways, sorry for the disagreement I was only hoping to give advice since I suffered from posterior chain weakness myself[/quote]

Cool.

Have you tried box squats? Those were responsible for getting my squat numbers rising (although they took a big hit for a while until I learned them).

Yeah actually I always do a couple sets before my regular squats to warm-up and slowly adapt to them. Think I’m gonna do them more regularly. Thing is I can’t really see my form from an outside point of view and I’m pretty fucking paranoiac about form.