Contras in the Occupied Territories

I watched an interview of Ali Abunimah, the co-founder of the Electronic Intifada. The Palestinian impressed me with his poise, eloquence and encyclopedic knowledge of the situation out there. The guy’s got a few books out already, and I fished for his latest article. He draws an interesting parallel between the current conflict and the Contras.

Apparently, the architect of the US policy is none other than the infamous Elliot Abrams. Abrams was convicted in 91 for lying to Congress about the Iran-Contra affair, yet was appointed by Bush on the National Security Council. But enough about that, read on Abunimah’s analysis (read the entire article, not just the excerpt).

[i]"Ever since Hamas won the Palestinian legislative elections in the occupied territories in January 2006, elements of the leadership of the long-dominant Fatah movement, including Palestinian Authority chairman Mahmoud Abbas and his advisors have conspired with Israel, the United States and the intelligence services of several Arab states to overthrow and weaken Hamas. This support has included funneling weapons and tens of millions of dollars to unaccountable militias, particularly the “Preventive Security Force” headed by Gaza warlord Mohammad Dahlan, a close ally of Israel and the United States and the Abbas-affiliated “Presidential Guard.”

US Deputy National Security Advisor Elliott Abrams – who helped divert money to the Nicaraguan Contras in the 1980s and who was convicted of lying to Congress in the Iran-Contra scandal – has spearheaded the effort to set up these Palestinian Contras. (This background has been extensively detailed in a number of articles published by The Electronic Intifada in recent months). Abrams is also notorious for helping to cover up massacres and atrocities committed against civilians in El Salvador by US-backed militias and death squads.

Two recent revelations underscore the extent of the conspiracy: on 7 June, Ha’aretz reported that “senior Fatah officials in the Gaza Strip have asked Israel to allow them to receive large shipments of arms and ammunition from Arab countries, including Egypt.” According to the Israeli newspaper, Fatah asked Israel for “armored cars, hundreds of armor-piercing RPG rockets, thousands of hand grenades and millions of rounds of ammunition for small caliber weapons,” all to be used against Hamas.

From the moment of its election victory, Hamas acted pragmatically and with the intent to integrate itself into the existing political structure. It had observed for over a year a unilateral ceasefire with Israel and had halted the suicide attacks on Israeli civilians that had made it notorious. In a leaked confidential memo written in May and published by The Guardian this week senior UN envoy Alvaro de Soto confirmed that it was under pressure from the United States that Abbas refused Hamas’ initial invitation to form a “national unity government.” De Soto details that Abbas advisers actively aided and abetted the Israeli-US-European Union aid cutoff and siege of the Palestinians under occupation, which led to massively increased poverty for millions of people. These advisors engaged with the United States in a “plot” to “bring about the untimely demise of the [Palestinian Authority] government led by Hamas,” de Soto wrote.

Despite a bloody attempted coup against Hamas by the Dahlan-led forces in December and January, Hamas still agreed to join a “National Unity Government” with Fatah brokered by Saudi Arabia at the Mecca summit. Dahlan and Abbas’ advisers were determined to sabotage this, continuing to amass weapons, and refusing to place their militias under the control of a neutral interior minister who eventually resigned in frustration."[/i]

Two questions: Can you challenge the Contras/Fatah analogy? And do you think a convicted person (on two counts!) for withholding info to Congress should serve in the administration?

I will only answer the second question. No, he shouldn’t serve in any political function. Much of the Bush administration should be barred as well. But his majesty G.W. (the almighty) decides!

Wow! Another America bashing thread by lixy, how exciting.

Hamas needs your help dude. They need people to run bombs in to southern Israel. Up for the challenge? Have some balls at least instead of hiding behind the protection of Sweden while you spew your hateful unrelenting ideology. Take your euro-weenie friends with you.

We’re Americans, we like our fucking country for better or worse.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
We’re Americans, we like our fucking country for better or worse.[/quote]

That’s a meaningless statement. That’s like saying I love my child whatever she does, then letting her play in the middle of the road to get hit. You can love America and be very critical of certain aspects. Where is the contradiction?

In fact, if you love America so much, you would be willing to try to correct it, if it went astray…just as you would try to correct your child who goes astray.

I am not saying that Lixy is right or wrong in this case. I dont know. However, if you disagree, why dont you make a rational argument, instead of trying to whip up emotional patriotism?

BTW, I am American. If it matters to mention this, relatives on both sides of my family fought in the American Revolution.I love a lot about America, but that does not mean that certain politicians, etc., whose allegiance is not towards the true interest of most Americans, can’t do some really fucked up shit.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
pat36 wrote:
We’re Americans, we like our fucking country for better or worse.

That’s a meaningless statement. That’s like saying I love my child whatever she does, then letting her play in the middle of the road to get hit. You can love America and be very critical of certain aspects. Where is the contradiction?

In fact, if you love America so much, you would be willing to try to correct it, if it went astray…just as you would try to correct your child who goes astray.

I am not saying that Lixy is right or wrong in this case. I dont know. However, if you disagree, why dont you make a rational argument, instead of trying to whip up emotional patriotism?

BTW, I am American. If it matters to mention this, relatives on both sides of my family fought in the American Revolution.I love a lot about America, but that does not mean that certain politicians, etc., whose allegiance is not towards the true interest of most Americans, can’t do some really fucked up shit.

[/quote]

We are talking months of history here and thousands of lines and many hours dedicated to bashing America and it’s citizens. I am not talking about constructive criticism, I and talking about raw unadulterated hate speech.

I think in six months he has started maybe one thread that wasn’t about something bad about America. If I want to do something to improve my country, I won’t discuss it with some asshole who’d rather see me dead simply because I am an American citizen and not an muslim extremist.