Contralateral Eccentric Loading

Years ago while in college, I trained occasionally on a Universal weight lifting station which consisted of several different movements. I especially liked the shoulder overhead press. Mostly I lifted with 2 hands, and lowered with 1 hand, according to Arthur Jones negative-accentuated recipe. The recipe was good stuff.
However, I was younger at the time, and subsequently worked BOTH sides.
Many years later and nursing a sore shoulder, I still like negative accentuated training but train ONE side at a time to facilitate recovery

So, I currently skip all shoulder work. I have experimented quite a bit with contra lateral eccentric training. One exceptional movement is the Nautilus Leverage shrug/row machine. I warm up with light weights.
Then, I shrug an appropriate weight with both hands and then lower with one hand. When, the eccentric component cannot be controlled, I start repping out with both hands at a 1/1 speed. The fresh arm drives the incredible burn in the contra lateral trapezius.
Faster movement speeds drive the synovial fluid into the porous cartilage tissue. Just as an inactive joint will “freeze” up, slow rep speeds by themselves do not force fluid into the cartilage to lubricate joints.
This blows the logic of isometrics being protective against joint wear and tear out of the water.

2 Likes

So, you’re saying that you did stupid things in the gym and now are paying a price for it, but refuse to give up on the stupid things? Am I getting that right? Just trying to be clear.
I used a Universal station in highschool as well, it’s what we had in the school gym. I never did any of the foolishness you are describing, although I could handily do “The rack” at any given station, and I currently have no similar issues to you.

To be fair, his description is anti isometric, whereas the other guy was pro isometric.

Both of them are pretty wordy, though. All this demonization of normal movement patterns is getting out of hand. Performing a movement properly and within reasonable percentages of ones max will strengthen you. Things like “contralateral eccentric loading” can, just like all the other fancy things, be a tool in the toolbox, but the “I perform all exercises like this because it’s optimal and here’s a word salad as proof” mentality is silly.

3 Likes

Touché, however,

This was more my point.

1 Like

Can these guys just stay in the Darden Forum?

1 Like

Talk is cheap
show results.

3 Likes

I’m loving these ‘Blue Oyster Bulldog’ interventions :joy:

1 Like

No it’s not! No it doesn’t!

The bipedal gait cycle as primary means of locomotion (“Walking” for the layman) is insufficiently explosive to sufficiently force synovial fluid into porous cartilage tissue thus contributing to joint wear and tear. The only way to stave off the negative effects of this so called “walking” are by doing sprints or broad jumps as the primary means of moving to and fro.

1 Like

Gotta admit, you had me worried there for a second. Then I got to the last bit.

Lol
 lucky I like you. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Yeah man but that sounds like an offroading/unloading nightmare.

1 Like

I thought isometrics died about the same time as Bruce Lee.

Am I mistaken?

What? No!

This is not a bad thing in itself indeed, I have used it on myself and others in rare occasions

What? This is insane and you are repeating what some guru said, who had no understanding and basic anatomy and wanted to appear smart. Cartilage is not porous. Just the very first study I pulled out on eccentric vs concentric showed NO difference

Nope. Cartilage is a viscoelastic tissue, which makes it kind of like a jelly snake. The faster you load it, the stiffer and more brittle it becomes. The more slowly you load it, the more pliable it becomes. Therefore, cartilage loaded slowly is more likely to accept synovial fluid perfusion than cartilage loaded quickly.

When you load/compression cartilage slowly, synovial fluid will permeate more, not less than when you load it quickly.

1 Like

For a thing that was popularized because the US Olympic lifting team credited them for a sudden surge in gains, when in fact it was the Deca that was causing the gains, I can’t believe anyone actually clings to them. Stupid waste of time. And that’s my sensitive, politically correct opinion of them.

2 Likes

I didn’t know you could be so opinionated! :wink:

1 Like

Hes actually getting stronger right before our very eyes.

3 Likes

Isometrics are pretty cool. You bros should give them a try!

Maverick,
it may be that some topics were originally posted in Dr Darden’s forum , but were moved by admin to here.
My topic in regards “Infimetrics” was originally posted in Dr Darden’s forum , since Arthur Jones coined the term and Nautilus and Dr Darden promoted it in the 70s and 80s.
But the topic was moved here by admin.
I don’t have a problem with that myself , but I’m just pointing out that it may not have been the intention of the original poster to put it in this forum.

Regards
Mark

1 Like