T Nation

Contradictory Info on Carbs+Fat

I always thought that you should not mix carbs and fat, because of the insulin spike that will facilitate fat storage. Of course, this is worst with simple, high GI carbs.

But I read in a couple of places that fats will slow digestion, thus reducing the insulin spike and GI.

So now, what is best?

Everything in moderation.

Don’t get hung up on the details.

Dependant on the amount of carbs and the amount of fats in the mix. If you drink a shake with a shit load of carbs, the decreased digestion rate due to fats will be negligable. On the otherhand, a dish with 4 oz salmon and white rice, the digestion of the rice will be slowed down a little by the fat in the fish.

These concepts however are for people who are looking for a percentage here or a percentage there. If your not close than follow your initial theory.

[quote]gogotheviking wrote:
I always thought that you should not mix carbs and fat, because of the insulin spike that will facilitate fat storage. Of course, this is worst with simple, high GI carbs.

But I read in a couple of places that fats will slow digestion, thus reducing the insulin spike and GI.

So now, what is best?[/quote]

If you’re really trying to limit fat gain, eating too much fat with high GI carbs may facilitate fat storage. However, if you’re eating low GI carbs with plenty of dietary fat it shouldn’t be a problem.

So my oats and almond butter are ok if I try to lose fat? Not that it matters now, I’m on the V-diet… but for after.

So my oats and almond butter are ok if I try to lose fat? Not that it matters now, I’m on the V-diet… but for after.[/quote]

Yes.

So my oats and almond butter are ok if I try to lose fat? Not that it matters now, I’m on the V-diet… but for after.[/quote]

Yes biggg difference in almond butter and oats and a krispy cream…Make smart food choices and go to the extremes of food combo when extreme measures are needed

Phill

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
Everything in moderation.

Don’t get hung up on the details.[/quote]

Lol best nutrition advice ever, as long as its organic ;).

Berardi says…

"Now, some people have argued that fat lowers the glycemic index of foods and should therefore be included in carb meals. But remember, the glycemic index only gives a measure of glucose response to a meal, not insulin response. And sometimes the glucose responses to a meal and the insulin responses to a meal aren't well correlated. So although you might be slowing the rate of glucose absorption into the blood by adding fat to your meals, you'll promote high blood levels of fats, carbs, and insulin. And that's a no-no!"

I’m not arguing either way, just a little food for thought.

-dizzle

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:
Berardi says…

"Now, some people have argued that fat lowers the glycemic index of foods and should therefore be included in carb meals. But remember, the glycemic index only gives a measure of glucose response to a meal, not insulin response. And sometimes the glucose responses to a meal and the insulin responses to a meal aren't well correlated. So although you might be slowing the rate of glucose absorption into the blood by adding fat to your meals, you'll promote high blood levels of fats, carbs, and insulin. And that's a no-no!"

I’m not arguing either way, just a little food for thought.

-dizzle[/quote]

While it is true that some foods that are high in fat can also spike insulin levels, this only applies to high II or GI foods. It is also true that a cell will not convert fat into energy if there is glucose present. But that would only be a problem if a violent insulin spike was produced.

There is also a difference between an insulin response and a violent insulin spike. A meal consisting of both protein and carbs will cause an insulin response, but that doesn’t mean a violent insulin spike will be produced.

Glucose absorbtion will already be slower if you’re eating food that is not high on the II or GI, so any additional dietary fat will not facilitate fat storage, unless pure sugar is being consumed with your high fat meal.