Continuity Within Periodization

I don’t like change. I find something I like and I can’t get enough of it. I have a very addictive personality which is good for some things and bad for others. When it comes to training, if I didn’t plan ahead, I know I would find myself repeating workouts over and over. Luckily, another one of my traits is scheduling my life. For example, I have already planned my meal schedule for this fall around my work and school schedule. Many will laugh at this type of planning, but it honestly helps me. I can always change it if the unexpected occurs. Here’s why I’m posting. I know training periodization is optimal for most types of goals trainees pursue, at least to some extent. My main goal is be functionally strong. I use Westside methods along with many stuff from Coach Davies. Since I don’t embrace change very well, I find it hard to keep changing my workouts every three weeks or so. The other day I had some extra time and here’s what I planned for my training schedule for Aug-Dec. I kept in mind that I needed some periodization in my program. I can always change reps, TUT, sets, volume, etc. but as far as what bodyparts and the training split, this will be it.

AM Monday: Dynamic Effort Legs, Legs, Core Work, Rows.

PM Monday: Med Balls and GPP-weighted.

PM Tuesday: Med Balls, Sled-lower body, Weighted Bucket Walks.

AM Wednesday: Dynamic Effort Bench, Triceps, Rows, Extra work on Glute/Hams, Reverse Hypers.

PM Wednesday: GPP-non-weighted and Sprints.

PM Thursday: Med Balls, Sled-upper body, Weighted Bucket Walks.

AM Friday: Max Effort Legs, Legs, Core Work, Chins.

PM Friday: Med Balls and GPP-weighted.

AM Saturday: Max Effort Bench, Triceps, Rows, Rotator Cuff Work.

Goals of this training split is to bring up work capacity, upper back, legs, and overall conditioning. I welcome all suggestions, comments, advice, critiques, etc. Thanks T-men.

Just bumping this up to get some comments.

The Westside method is a form of periodization. Looks good. Lot of work.

I am curious. A lot of people on this site claim to train westside style but when you ask them to differentiate dynamic day from other they cannot. If it is not too personal I would like to see your rep\set\excercise workout. I am curious for a number of reasons. I am doing some similar stuff so I was wondering how you put it all together. I put together dino training, renegade, and I wanted to add westside but I am trying to figure out the best way to do so.

Dynamic Bench: 8-10 sets of 3 reps Flat Bench Press w/ Chains, 2 sets of 3 reps without chains at 60-65% of shirtless max.

Dynamic Squat: 8-10 sets of 2 reps Box Squat w/ Chains, 2 sets of 2 reps without chains at 60-65% of raw max.

Max Bench: Work up to max of 1-3 reps increasing by 40-50 lbs. on a different movement each week.

Max Squat: Work up to max of 1-3 reps increasing by 40-50 lbs. on a different movement each week.

That’s what I meant by I use Westside methods. A dynamic or speed or light day and a max or heavy day for both squat and bench per week. As far as reps/sets/exercises go, they change every few weeks. Generally I stick between 5-12 reps for supplemental movements. Examples include 5x5, 4x6, 3x8, 2x12. I go by feel a lot but still like to plan what exercises I’m going to do. If you want more information or help let me know.