T Nation

Continue SL 5x5 or Switch to 5/3/1

I’ve finished 12 weeks on SL 5x5 and seen some good progress. I’m 25, 5’10" and weigh 225 (up from about 210 12 weeks ago). My long term goal is to build strength and eventually participate in amateur strongman. I would like to keep my weight under 230 as that’s the cutoff in strongman (for lightweight). My lifts are:
Squat: 300 (4x5)
Deadlift: 325 (1x2) or 315 (1x5)
Bench: 205 (5x5)
OHP: 140 (4x5)
BO Rows: 170 (5x5)

I missed my first squat today, getting stuck in the hole on the third rep of the last set. I’ve also been progressing slowly on the press, missing a couple times at each weight before hitting it. The squats have felt heavy since around 200lbs, but I had been able to push through. The stronglifts program says that I should do a deload on squats and work back up. I’m fine doing that, but I am starting to feel like the volume and frequency of squatting is something that I can’t recover from and that is limiting my other lifts, particularly the deadlift (as they all come after squats in the workout). I know I still have more in a linear progression for my bench but the rest of the lifts seem to be hitting the top of the linear progression. Deadlift might have more if I hit it on its own.

I am considering buying the 5/3/1 book and switching to that program as it seems it would allow for better recovery. Another option would be to deload stronglifts and switch to 3x5 instead of 5x5.

What do folks here advise?

If I remember, the actual StrongLifts program went from 5x5 -> 3x5 -> 1x5 -> Madcow/Texas Method. It was something like that. I know Mehdi discussed it in his whole intro PDF thing.

What’s the reason you’re not wanting to do that? (Not at all saying it’s a good idea, or that it’s not a good idea. Just wondering.)

I did a full deload and redid a cycle. What I mean by that is I inputed my last numbers (for me it was week 10, my knees where killing me) into the spreadsheet provided by the web site. Then again, I am 46 and don’t recover as well…

And as mentioned by LoRez, the spreadsheet will tell you when to “switch” programs. Also, nothing wrong with it, just wondering your reasoning.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
If I remember, the actual StrongLifts program went from 5x5 -> 3x5 -> 1x5 -> Madcow/Texas Method. It was something like that. I know Mehdi discussed it in his whole intro PDF thing.

What’s the reason you’re not wanting to do that? (Not at all saying it’s a good idea, or that it’s not a good idea. Just wondering.)[/quote]

Yeah, that’s the general progression that Mehdi recommends. There are a couple reasons I am considering jumping. First, I feel that squatting heavy three times a week is too much for me. When I start squatting, I really can feel that I haven’t fully recovered from the last time I squatted. Of course, Mehdi concurs that this will happen eventually and that the progression is there for this reason.

The other reasons I want to switch are that I would like to focus on deadlifts more. Also, I would like to integrate front squats and push presses, neither of which fit into SL but could fit into 5/3/1. Of course, my long term goal is being as strong as possible as soon as possible. That’s why I’m asking. If SL will get me stronger faster, I’ll stay the course.

If you haven’t recovered, try eating more. For me, MAG-10 or BCAA"S during and after my work out is a god send.

BB and powerlifting is measured in years. You want to get strong? Think long term. Both programs will get you there. Can’t tell you or recommend wich program is “best” for you. YOu need to find that on your own.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I was just feeling pretty crumby after missing the squat on Monday and just having a terrible workout in general. I skipped squats on Wednesday but hit them up today after a deload down to 275 and only doing 3x5. It feels a lot better. I’ll build back up and see where I get.