Continous Ramp

Hey coach,

Just had a re-read of the Zombie Apocalypse article.
I had a few questions about the continous ramps:

1. With what goal in mind are they a great tool to use?
  2. Can it be appropriate to use the ramps like in bulgarian training? Week 1 to a 5Rm, week 2 to a 4RM, week 3 to a 3RM. Maybe repeat that a few times?
  3. Are they appropriate to use as the corner stone of a program? Like Getting one for the overhead push, the horizontal push, the hinge and the squat pattern? Maybe too taxing?
  4. As some ideas, how do you feel about a ramp consisting of incline bench-bench-dips, chin up-pull up-chest supported row, and zercher carry-farmer carry-yoke carry?

More questions than I imagined…every anwser appreciated.

[quote]Panopticum wrote:
Hey coach,

Just had a re-read of the Zombie Apocalypse article.
I had a few questions about the continous ramps:

1. With what goal in mind are they a great tool to use?
    [/quote]

Overall strength gain (as opposed to strength gain in a few specific exercises).

[quote]Panopticum wrote:
2) Can it be appropriate to use the ramps like in bulgarian training? Week 1 to a 5Rm, week 2 to a 4RM, week 3 to a 3RM. Maybe repeat that a few times? [/quote]

No, too much intensity too often for the same movements and since you train 3 lifts per day it would be WAY TOO MUCH (3 lifts as a continuous ramp is really like doing 6-9 lifts).

[quote]Panopticum wrote:
3) Are they appropriate to use as the corner stone of a program? Like Getting one for the overhead push, the horizontal push, the hinge and the squat pattern? Maybe too taxing?[/quote]

Only one “pattern” per day and for only 3, maybe 4 weeks.

[quote]Panopticum wrote:
4) As some ideas, how do you feel about a ramp consisting of incline bench-bench-dips, chin up-pull up-chest supported row, and zercher carry-farmer carry-yoke carry?
. [/quote]

The first one doesn’t work… dips is not a bench… a continuous ramp involves the same movement pattern/base lift… a better option would be incline / flat / decline.

The pull-up one might not be the best option because it’s hard to use an external load AND the chest supported row is not the same exercise/pattern as the first two… if you were dead set on using chin-ups it would be: pronated/supinated/neutral.

The carry doesn’t work either since its not the same implement. The continuous ramp is basically doing the same basic pattern but when you reach your max on one lift you change it SLIGHTLY to allow yourself to be able to continue to add weight; you don’t switch to something completely different.

You’re the best coach! Thank you very much!

Well, I didn’t exactly mean running BTS with con ramps haha…I would die!
I meant ramping with 5’s in week 1, 4’s in week 2, 3’s in week 3. I hoped this would built more strength

I read just pieces on continuos ramps in your articles and forum posts CT. Do you have some complet source of informations on this topic?

I think it might be fun to try continuous ramp sets as joker sets on a cycle or two of 5/3/1 with limited assistance

Example:
Day One
-Overhead Press 5/3/1
-Continuous Ramp - Up to 5RM on 5s week. Up to 3RM on 3s week. Up to 2RM on 5/3/1 week:
Z-Press, Overhead Press, Push Press
-Lat Work

I don’t know how smart it would be, but it would be fun to try.

[quote]stayaggro666 wrote:
I think it might be fun to try continuous ramp sets as joker sets on a cycle or two of 5/3/1 with limited assistance

Example:
Day One
-Overhead Press 5/3/1
-Continuous Ramp - Up to 5RM on 5s week. Up to 3RM on 3s week. Up to 2RM on 5/3/1 week:
Z-Press, Overhead Press, Push Press
-Lat Work

I don’t know how smart it would be, but it would be fun to try. [/quote]

I really can’t comment on that since I’m not familiar with the deep workings of 5/3/1 and I’m always weary of adding something to someone else’s program

How about

Z-Press, alternating sets with inverted rows with a pause at the top.

Then military press, alternating sets with wide grip chins.

Finish with a few push presses, paired with some weighted neutral grip chins.

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
How about

Z-Press, alternating sets with inverted rows with a pause at the top.

Then military press, alternating sets with wide grip chins.

Finish with a few push presses, paired with some weighted neutral grip chins.[/quote]

Your choices are fine. I don’t like to do a continuous ramp done as antagonist supersets. It’s okay to do “stuff in-between sets” but from experience when you pair two exercises and train them both for performance, one always suffer.

The point is to go up the ramp, not to do a variety of exercises. Stick to the point.
Thanks very much.

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
The point is to go up the ramp, not to do a variety of exercises. Stick to the point.
Thanks very much.[/quote]

Exactly