Consuming Too Much Fish Oil?

I know a lot of you here have huge omega-3 fish oil intakes.
From the American Heart Association (http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4632):
“Patients taking more than 3 grams of omega-3 fatty acids from supplements should do so only under a physician?s care. High intakes could cause excessive bleeding in some people.”

What do you think of that? I saw a post by somebody here about their 15g/day fish oil regime and that reminded me of the American Heart Association page.

Well…
The “experts” also say that:
-you only need 60Mg Vitamin C a day,
-you can only absorb 30Gram of protein per meal,
-you only need app 70 Gram protein per day,
-three meals a day is all you need.

I think you’re better of listen to the experts writing for T-Nation, at least they know what people who work out needs. More so than the armchair experts.

if they are refering to the possible blood thinning affects of fish oil then i should increase my intake from my current 15 grams to atleast 30 grams. that would help ciculation even more. laters pk

It may not be due to blood thinning it could be related to platelets and their ability to coagulate…

who knows? All I know is that’s a shit load of fish oil!

not possible

Something to keep in mind is that 15 grams of fish oil is not 15 grams of DHA/EPA. Not sure off the top of my head but I think that would have around 5 grams of omega-3s.

Funny they don’t warn people to ask their doctors before eating fish… You could get that much n3 from eating a not unreasonably large quantity of salmon or other fatty fishes.

Also funny considering how deficient the modern diet is n3 fatty acids, God forbid if we did anything healthy without permission. I mean what the fuck, does it say to ask your doctor before drinking soda? Or eating white flour? Or sitting on the couch? How come they never warn you to consult a doctor before doing unhealthy shit, only healthy shit?

And very ironic considering how willing doctors are to give crazy shit like coumadin to people who don’t really need it. Far be it from me to criticize people with 10 years more higher education than me, but just looking at the state of public health in the USA makes it hard to take any organizational recommendations seriously.

Nick

It would be more likely to occur in people who:

1. Have an underlying bleeding disorder
  2. Take aspirin, coumadin or other anti-coagulants.

I don’t see much chance of a problem for most people using doses in the neighborhood of what Beradi has mentioned.