Consuming Coconut

How are you guys consuming coconut (or coconut oil)? I tried having some coconut oil straight from the bottle and man, that stuff tastes like crap compared to olive oil hands down.

Just wondering what form did people find most palatable - dried/grated coconut, coconut oil, coconut milk?

Thanks.

Well, from what I understand, unless you want the carbs that come with the milk you should stick with the oil. I actually bought some today for the first time and tried it straight from the jar and it wasn’t to bad.

The kind I got (Emerald labs virgin organic)didn’t taste as much like coconut as I thought it would but it didn’t taste bad. Hard to get over the thought of eating a spoonfull of solid fat though. It kind of melts in your mouth.

I am by no means an expert and would like to hear some suggestions on different ways to consume the oil myself.

What I do is pour the require amount of coconut oil into a small tupperware. I then add a tablespoon of Davinci sugarfree syrup of my choice, then put it in the freezer.

Comes out very tasty and easily portable.

Capsules…Only way I’ve ever taken it. Though here soon I may get some of the oil to mix with my shakes…Always up for something new hehe.

First, make sure it’s a high quality coconut oil - do some research online.

I find coconut oil mixed with a really nice olive oil tastes fabulous. You might need to melt it, but yum… just pour the mixture over your meal - it’ll make anything taste better.

You can also use it on bread or toast, the way you would butter.

I personally grind unsweetened, desiccated coconut with flax seed and add it to main dishes - you can use it as a thickener. Try adding desiccated coconut to oatmeal (you’ll need to add more water too - or more coconut oil!).

Also - try this for post-workout recovery:

mix desiccated coconut with raw honey and coconut oil. you can also add some salt and a bit of cinnamon - tastes great!

remember - the fat in coconut is digested like a carb - fast.

What’s up with coconut oil? It’s over 90% saturated fat. I’ve never seen anything on supplementing with coconut oil. Give me some direction here, thanks.

I use he real deal whole shredded dried cocnut. it just adds a few minimal carbs and some protein. Just be sure to get the unsweetened kind.

[quote]rmetz wrote:
What’s up with coconut oil? It’s over 90% saturated fat. I’ve never seen anything on supplementing with coconut oil. Give me some direction here, thanks.[/quote]

Believe it or not,we need some saturated fat.Also,the fatty acids in cocnut oil are medium chain fatty acids,not like the kind of fat in beef,etc…In other words,they’re used up for energy rather than becoming stored body fat.I take some 2-4 hours before my workouts and I get a rush of energy.Coconut oil has a lot of health benefits too.

I usually mix coconut oil in with my protein shakes. One scoop of whey,one cup of organic skim milk,and one tablespoon of unrefined organic coconut oil.Very palatable.

[quote]The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
I usually mix coconut oil in with my protein shakes. One scoop of whey,one cup of organic skim milk,and one tablespoon of unrefined organic coconut oil.Very palatable.[/quote]

tried this yesterday, it was awesome! great idea.

Tried the coconut oil in my pre-bed shake for my final P+F meal last night. Tasted okay. No real noticable difference. About 20 minutes after completing my shake I become very vascular. Forearm and biceps veins were popping. I’ve seen this a lot after my P+F meals, but normally not so much after my pre-bed shake.

Did my normal workout this morning. Had plenty of energy. Again, arms and shoulders got very vascular. My forearm pump was tremendous and I didn’t even do any forearm isolation. I was doing speed bench presses and some back tricep work.

Effects of coconut oil? I don’t know, but I’m going to try it for a while.