Consuming 350g Carbs in a Day?

Microwave a couple yams a day. Boil some potatoes. Eat some rice. How is this so difficult?

Yah now i end the thread thanks for the help needed it broken down for me barney style

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Eating 350 grams of carbs in a day is a joke!

A large bagel contains 50+ grams and it’s not even filling.

A cup of rice has 45 grams.

Two servings of oatmeal has 54 grams.

Raises have something like ~30 grams in a QUARTER cup.

Some breads have up to 30 grams in ONE slice!

Mid workout shakes can have 50 to 100 grams and you won’t even feel it.

[/quote]

No kidding. I bet you could hit 350 carbs at breakfast alone eating a couple bagels, some waffles and having a big glass of orange juice.

Reminds me of the food at Marine indoc training, a breakfast of two pieces of bread, white rice, fake waffle-thing, Gatorade, pastry-thing fruit, all drenched in gray gravy gravy.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Eating 350 grams of carbs in a day is a joke!

A large bagel contains 50+ grams and it’s not even filling.

A cup of rice has 45 grams.

Two servings of oatmeal has 54 grams.

Raises have something like ~30 grams in a QUARTER cup.

Some breads have up to 30 grams in ONE slice!

Mid workout shakes can have 50 to 100 grams and you won’t even feel it.

[/quote]

No kidding. I bet you could hit 350 carbs at breakfast alone eating a couple bagels, some waffles and having a big glass of orange juice.

Reminds me of the food at Marine indoc training, a breakfast of two pieces of bread, white rice, fake waffle-thing, Gatorade, pastry-thing fruit, all drenched in gray gravy gravy.[/quote]

Well yeah. The more processed the junky the carbs are, the easier to eat. You’d feel fuller eating potatoes, rice, and oatmeal than you would eating baked potato chips, bagels, and pancakes.

First, 350 grams is pretty easy even on a gluten free diet.

Secondly, there IS GLUTEN IN EZEKIEL BREAD… and also some ppl who have trouble with gluten also have similar symptoms with oatmeal. If anything Ezekiel bread is worse. See here:

[quote]‘Wheat germ agglutinin’ (WGA) is largely responsible for many of wheat’s pervasive ill effects.
Whatâ??s more, WGA is found in highest concentrations in “whole wheat,” including its supposedly superior sprouted form.

What is unique about the WGA glycoprotein is that it can do direct damage to the majority of tissues in your body without requiring a specific set of genetic susceptibilities or immune-mediated articulations.

This may explain why chronic inflammatory and degenerative conditions are endemic to wheat-consuming populations.

Dr. Mercola's Censored Library (Private Membership) | Dr. Joseph Mercola | Substack 2010/01/16/The-Critical-Role-of-Wheat-in-Human-Disease.aspx

Stick with rice and potatoes

I get 400g carbs on high days and by the time i finish the last spoonful of rice/oats I’m overcome with sadness that i don’t get any more for about 10 hours while i sleep.

350g carbs in one meal might be a bit of a chore
350g carbs in a day? Thats piss easy. I’ll never understand these people who have to FORCE feed themselves. I have to restrain with every meal to stop myself, and I’m still gaining weight too fast.

350 is way to easy because i can do way more than that on a hardcore training day. i honestly ate carbs but figured out a way a few years back that helped me push through. get some dry oatmeal, the instant kind but not the sugar packed packages of it. the huge canisters. measure out how many carbs you want to have for the day in cups. throw it into you blender while its dry and hit the ground button for about 60-90secs then hit the fastest setting you have for another 30. shake it up and repeat it again and now you have powder carbs that looks just like whey. throw that in your protein shakes after dividing it up and your good to go player.

like the ideas… Infermezo… you may have not read earlier… i was eating max 100g carbs a day for the longest time… i have never been a big pasta, rice, bred type guy… But i have been told to increase my calories i order to become a bit more solid… I am in no way trying to gain a ton of weight here… I am 175 and have no intentions of going over 185 as again i play competivie soccer nearly year round…

Oatmeal+splenda+cinnamon=orgasm in my mouth.

[quote]Onslaught2099 wrote:
350 is way to easy because i can do way more than that on a hardcore training day. i honestly ate carbs but figured out a way a few years back that helped me push through. get some dry oatmeal, the instant kind but not the sugar packed packages of it. the huge canisters. measure out how many carbs you want to have for the day in cups. throw it into you blender while its dry and hit the ground button for about 60-90secs then hit the fastest setting you have for another 30. shake it up and repeat it again and now you have powder carbs that looks just like whey. throw that in your protein shakes after dividing it up and your good to go player. [/quote]

Damn, good idea, I never thought of that

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

[quote]Onslaught2099 wrote:
350 is way to easy because i can do way more than that on a hardcore training day. i honestly ate carbs but figured out a way a few years back that helped me push through. get some dry oatmeal, the instant kind but not the sugar packed packages of it. the huge canisters. measure out how many carbs you want to have for the day in cups. throw it into you blender while its dry and hit the ground button for about 60-90secs then hit the fastest setting you have for another 30. shake it up and repeat it again and now you have powder carbs that looks just like whey. throw that in your protein shakes after dividing it up and your good to go player. [/quote]

Damn, good idea, I never thought of that[/quote]

I seriously never thought of it either but i became sick of making oatmeal 4-5 times a day. i’m not really into carbs but I know you need it to grow. I saw this site selling powdered oatmeal and it was expensive as hell so I wanted to know how I could grind oatmeal myself and save some money. who knew the blender I was making shakes with could grind oats? saves me major cash because 2 weeks worth of carbs only cost me $8.

If you’re avoiding gluten, don’t eat oatmeal. Buckwheat is a good alternative. Also, consider getting some maltodextrin for between-meal shakes.

Most of these suggestions are not going to work for you if you can’t tolerate (or won’t eat) gluten.

Personally I find rice and potatoes aren’t carb-dense enough (on a volume basis), but 350g carbs per day is really a joke so you should be able to do it.

Ezekiel bread and oats in a gluten free diet?? I was about to say… I found out I had a mild sensitivity to gluten at the beginning of my contest prep this year after eating a couple sandwiches with ezekiel bread; had gastrointestinal bloating, distending gut, gassy, just overall uncomfortable feeling. I completely threw out gluten and never felt better, certainly got rid of the symptoms. Oats had the same effect; so, I would suggest the same to anyone with an intolerance as well.

I pretty much stuck to rice, quinoa, buckwheat, potatoes, some fruit. By the end of my prep, it was just sweet potatoes and brown basmati rice. Seriously though when dieting down, 350g of carbs is like a holiday… definitely not something you should be complaining about. With rice, I pre-soak however much I needed for my post-workout meal over night and then just cook it an hour before I hit the gym. Pre-soaking literally cuts the cooking time in half and probably makes the rice a little easier on the stomach as well. Nothing made me happier than coming home to a big bowl of rice or potatoes after a heavy lifting day!!

-jmogill
Just a quick note. Oats don’t have any gluten in them. The issue is major manufacturers use it in processing and don’t have to report it on the label. I’m just putting it out there, if you really like oats you can look for some that has some seal saying they were processes in a gluten free factory. I have a friend who love oats and sticks w/ those McCain (?) steel cut oats, and doesn’t have an issue (celiacs disease)… More expensive, but if you like oats a lot then thats worth a try…

[quote]jmogill1 wrote:
Ezekiel bread and oats in a gluten free diet?? I was about to say… I found out I had a mild sensitivity to gluten at the beginning of my contest prep this year after eating a couple sandwiches with ezekiel bread; had gastrointestinal bloating, distending gut, gassy, just overall uncomfortable feeling. I completely threw out gluten and never felt better, certainly got rid of the symptoms. Oats had the same effect; so, I would suggest the same to anyone with an intolerance as well.

I pretty much stuck to rice, quinoa, buckwheat, potatoes, some fruit. By the end of my prep, it was just sweet potatoes and brown basmati rice. Seriously though when dieting down, 350g of carbs is like a holiday… definitely not something you should be complaining about. With rice, I pre-soak however much I needed for my post-workout meal over night and then just cook it an hour before I hit the gym. Pre-soaking literally cuts the cooking time in half and probably makes the rice a little easier on the stomach as well. Nothing made me happier than coming home to a big bowl of rice or potatoes after a heavy lifting day!![/quote]

Are you sure it was a gluten issue and not a matter of consuming a large amount of fiber in a relatively short amount of time? A slice of Ezekiel bread has 5g of fiber and oats pack a fair amount too, and the symptoms you are describing are nowhere near exclusive to negative gluten reactions. Man, I just ate a whole pizza and my stomach is distended…I must have an intolerance to tomatoes…couldn’t be something as simple as food volume…that would be far too logical for the Supplements and Nutrition forum!

What I’m getting at here is how suddenly, fucking everyone has a gluten intolerance this week. I’m going to call my bookie and put money on gluten replacing HFCS and trans-fats as the great nutritional scapegoat in 2011.

[quote]fmaurice wrote:
-jmogill
Just a quick note. Oats don’t have any gluten in them. The issue is major manufacturers use it in processing and don’t have to report it on the label. I’m just putting it out there, if you really like oats you can look for some that has some seal saying they were processes in a gluten free factory. I have a friend who love oats and sticks w/ those McCain (?) steel cut oats, and doesn’t have an issue (celiacs disease)… More expensive, but if you like oats a lot then thats worth a try…[/quote]

Now this is very interesting… learn something new every day.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]jmogill1 wrote:

I pretty much stuck to rice, quinoa, buckwheat, potatoes, some fruit. By the end of my prep, it was just sweet potatoes and brown basmati rice. Seriously though when dieting down, 350g of carbs is like a holiday… definitely not something you should be complaining about. With rice, I pre-soak however much I needed for my post-workout meal over night and then just cook it an hour before I hit the gym. Pre-soaking literally cuts the cooking time in half and probably makes the rice a little easier on the stomach as well. Nothing made me happier than coming home to a big bowl of rice or potatoes after a heavy lifting day!![/quote]

Are you sure it was a gluten issue and not a matter of consuming a large amount of fiber in a relatively short amount of time? A slice of Ezekiel bread has 5g of fiber and oats pack a fair amount too, and the symptoms you are describing are nowhere near exclusive to negative gluten reactions. Man, I just ate a whole pizza and my stomach is distended…I must have an intolerance to tomatoes…couldn’t be something as simple as food volume…that would be far too logical for the Supplements and Nutrition forum!

What I’m getting at here is how suddenly, fucking everyone has a gluten intolerance this week. I’m going to call my bookie and put money on gluten replacing HFCS and trans-fats as the great nutritional scapegoat in 2011.[/quote]

Doing an elimination diet is a good way to be sure. It took me a couple months to be sure it was the gluten.

Although ultimately if you find a diet that does not cause you gut troubles and lets you make progress, the reasoning behind it doesn’t matter too much. That is, if you think you’re a glutard, cut it out and feel great, who cares? You feel great.

Yep 350g carbs is low. If it helps you, below is a fairly recent low calorie, non-leg training day of mine while dieting which had 350g carb (80g fat, 300 prot). Although it looks like a designed meal plan with magic numbers, its been arrived at through eat-when-hungry minor modifications. On reflection, it looks tragically dull but I enjoy it. I don’t count green veg carbs.

1: 80g oatmeal

2: 250g chicken, 125g potato, EVOO, 2 apples, green veg

3: 250g chicken, 125g potato, EVOO, apple, green veg

4: Pre: 2 scoops prot, 2 scoops vitargo

during: isotonic drink

5: Post: 2 scoops prot, 2 scoops vitargo

6: 250g steak, apple, blueberries, EVOO, green veg

[quote]grettiron wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]jmogill1 wrote:

What I’m getting at here is how suddenly, fucking everyone has a gluten intolerance this week. I’m going to call my bookie and put money on gluten replacing HFCS and trans-fats as the great nutritional scapegoat in 2011.[/quote]

Doing an elimination diet is a good way to be sure. It took me a couple months to be sure it was the gluten.

Although ultimately if you find a diet that does not cause you gut troubles and lets you make progress, the reasoning behind it doesn’t matter too much. That is, if you think you’re a glutard, cut it out and feel great, who cares? You feel great.[/quote]

This was actually the exact reasoning behind why I eliminated gluten. Whether I have a sensitivity to gluten or not, I just felt better overall and my stomach stayed flat all of the time (could be due to just losing fat in general) once I eliminated it from my diet. I used to eat oatmeal every morning but never really thought about the minor symptoms. An elimination diet definitely helps pick up on any foods that cause distress. Eating the foods that are handled best and don’t cause any stress is only beneficial, especially when prepping for a show.

Intolerance to gluten is actually pretty common: something like 40% of the population has some sensitivity (like 70% to lactose). People can develop food intolerances to anything just by eating too much of a certain food, too often, or just eating foods that they are at all used to. I would think that if you’re gassy and your farts smell like burning bags of shit, chances are there is something going on with your digestion. Eliminating gluten and supplementing digestive support made a world of a difference, especially when I was eating ~300g of protein.
I would think that if you can’t digest your nutrients efficiently, you won’t reap all of the benefits from eating them.

-fmaurice
You’re absolutely right, they do have gluten free oats, are a bit pricey, but worth it for me. I love oats, and recently started eating them again without any problems. Companies can pretty much take gluten out of everything lol.

Let’s start another not meant to eat fiasco.