T Nation

Construction Worker Diet

my job is hod carrier - walk about 13 miles a day, half the time im carrying bricks, block and muck. weight in at 290ibs atm while doing 5/3/1 at the gym 4 days a week. too lose weight all i have really done is cut out all beer and reduce take aways from 3 nights a week to 1.

Want to go down to 260 and start playing rugby again. so could any one give me ideas for a diet and what i should eat. 260 is long term goal but replacing the fat to muscle is more short term goal as i played prop forward at rugby.

would like to get straight to cold turkey diet off for three days for xmas then just continue on with it.

You can’t really go wrong following a few principles:

• Feel a little bit hungry before you eat
  • Make good food choices (meat good, chocolate bad)
  • Eat, don’t inhale (slowish pace, not in front of the tv, etc)
  • Eat until you’re just full
  • Water, water, water
  • Give yourself a mental break from the prep, eating, etc now and again

[quote]Fad wrote:
my job is hod carrier - walk about 13 miles a day, half the time im carrying bricks, block and muck. weight in at 290ibs atm while doing 5/3/1 at the gym 4 days a week. too lose weight all i have really done is cut out all beer and reduce take aways from 3 nights a week to 1.

Want to go down to 260 and start playing rugby again. so could any one give me ideas for a diet and what i should eat. 260 is long term goal but replacing the fat to muscle is more short term goal as i played prop forward at rugby.

would like to get straight to cold turkey diet off for three days for xmas then just continue on with it. [/quote]

How tall are you?

5’10

[quote]Fad wrote:
5’10 [/quote]

You have quite a bit of work to do. Two hundred and sixty pounds at 5’10" would still have you being morbidly obese! You need to learn about nutrition and write up a solid diet and practice portion control, not just cut out one or two items. Don’t get me wrong, cutting out one or two items certainly has helped morbidly obese people lose weight, but in the long run, you need more nutrition education.

if you’re walking 13 miles per day carrying bricks AND you’re training 4x per week you must be eating a shit load of junk food to be 290lb @ 5’10. Either that or you’re screwed up hormonally or both.

At this point most nutrition advice past cutting out all junk foods especially the sugar laden ones won’t do you much good. Once you’ve gotten a decent handle on your junk food cravings, then you can move forward and create a more specific diet plan.

Can you give us a basic idea of what you eat daily?