Consistently High Free T Negates the Positive Effect TRT has on Insulin Sensitivity

One of the main reasons a saturation dose of T can make a man not feel as good is because of insulin sensitivity. Although optimal levels of T have a positive effect on insulin response, saturating your receptors for long periods of time will have the opposite effect, a negative response on insulin sensitivity. This is shown in the literature below:

As you can see in men with low testosterone levels, although increasing total testosterone levels was associated with increased insulin sensitivity in diabetic men, increased free T levels either had no relationship or had a clinically insignificant relationship. What is the difference here? The difference is that consistently high Free T levels have a negative impact on insulin sensitivity.

I know what you are thinking, the study says free T levels had no effect and I am saying it has a negative effect why am I saying this? These men are diabetic so the individuals insulin sensitivity cannot get any worse. So the negative effect cannot be shown, they are already on the floor.

So at this point, maybe I haven’t convinced you that consistently high free T levels reduces insulin sensitivity, but I hope we can both agree that there is a optimal level of TT and FT and therefore a ratio that is required to get a positive effect on insulin response.

How is that defined? I assume the range defines high, but how long does it need to be high to be considered?

1 Like

Thats a great question.

“These men are diabetic so the individuals insulin sensitivity cannot get any worse. So the negative effect cannot be shown, they are already on the floor.”

I still don’t see how you get to the conclusion of a negative impact. You’re still just guessing as to your conclusion.

Doesn’t matter, it still negates the positive impact. Whether you want to believe it has a negative impact or not doesn’t change the title or the discussion.

For those of you that would rather see the video version of this article click the link below

3 Likes

Thank you for your intuitive and thoughtful post. It is always great to see someone prove they do not know their ass from a hole in the ground concerning the topic.

1 Like

I mean. I laughed.

1 Like

Me too, but probably not at the same thing :slight_smile:

It’s a fairly well known fact supraphysiologic doses of anabolic steroids can induce insulin resistance for some, this isn’t particularly new info. Certain compounds however are far more likely to induce said insulin resistance than others.

I can link literature in which over brief stints of time 3-600mg test/wk has negligible impact, over longer courses of time however is a completely different story

Anecdotally I always keep my free T slightly over the ref ranges, my insulin sensitivity is dramatically better than what it was prior to TRT (had become prediabetic somehow, I attributed it to prolonged hypogonadism), took about 6 months on TRT to improve

My LDL cholesterol furthermore dropped about 20 points, HDL went up ever so slightly (this is on 200mg/wk) granted my absolute peak on 200mg/wk is around 1000ng/dl (inject 1x/wk), not as if I’m pushing my levels up to ungodly proportions

@unreal24278
What effect would metformin have on this when on supraphysiological levels?