T Nation

Considering Powerlifting

Names Clyde I’m 23 and new to this forum thing. Me and my gym partner have been thinking about competing.
My Weight is 200 BF 23.3% I just started to eat 1900 calories a day to try and help drop my body fat.
Supplements,I take Carnosine, tribulus, reatine and taurine.
Bench-320
Dead-lift-500
Squat-450

Now all I’m looking for is some guidance into the right direction. Should I be taking different supplements eating more, or less. Is there a better powerliftng program like 5x5, 8x8 or just doing burnouts most of the time? Is one better then other or do they all give you the same results? Any tips and techniques so I can perform at the meets to the best of my ability or should I just be coming at this at a whole other angel?

This.

Go find a meet and compete in it FIRST. Find out if you even LIKE powerlifting. THEN start training for it.

After 3 meets in a year, I found the sport really wasn’t a fit for me, and got into strongman instead. I’m glad I got that experience, because it taught me a lot and I found a passion for competing, but it would have been a HUGE letdown if I spent years and years prepping for the sport only to discover I wasn’t into it.

The only supplements that are even close to necessary are whey protein and creatine. From what I have read, tribulus doesn’t actually increase testosterone, it increases luteinizing hormone. LH affects sex drive and test increases LH, but it doesn’t work the other way around so you might be wasting your time unless you have issues there.

I’m not sure what you mean by burnouts, but they definitely don’t sound like a good idea if you want to get stronger. You don’t need to ever go to failure to get stronger, and burning out in one form or another is not useful. 5x5 programs are usually good for beginners, but you are at more of an intermediate level so I wouldn’t recommend that, although there is nothing wrong with a 5x5 set/rep scheme per se.

What you should do from this point on depends largely on what you have been doing so far, you don’t want a drastic increase in volume that you can’t recover from and there is no sense in doing a low volume program if you can handle more. I’m sure someone on this forum will recommend 5/3/1, it’s a decent choice but choose a version where you squat and bench at least twice a week. Otherwise, the sample programs on the Sheiko site (sheiko-program.ru) should be appropriate. If you check out The Strength Athlete they have a decent sample program as well.

Whether you prefer full body or an upper/lower split is basically up to you, just choose something that looks good to you and do it.

I don’t see the big deal if you end up deciding that you don’t want to compete. Training for PL has no long term consequences, and seeing as this guy is already fairly strong I don’t think he would quit lifting either way. Just don’t put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak. If you’re going to quit running marathons or something like that then sure, see if you really enjoy PL first.

If you aren’t competing, wouldn’t this just be lifting weights? I’m all for that; it just appeared that he was asking about actually competing in the sport of powerlifting.

Well, yeah. PL is 99% training anyway, it’s not like you are going to do a meet every week. So just lift weights in a manner conducive to powerlifting and if you find that don’t like competing after doing a meet then don’t compete again and maybe change your programming to reflect whatever your goals are at that point in time

I disagree with this personally. Powerlifting is competing in a meet. Outside of that, it’s just training.

It’s why I’m saying figure out if you like the sport before dedicating a significant amount of time and energy preparing for it. I look at it in the same perspective as spending years learning how to drive the ball only to finally play a round of golf and realize you really like baseball instead.

I’m not sure what we actually disagree on, that’s exactly what I’m saying too. The way that I see it is that if you are already into lifting weights (which it appears that the OP is) then there is no harm in focusing on building strength in the 3 competition lifts. If he doesn’t enjoy PL in the end then he can just adjust his training, strength is never a weakness. If he was considering bulking to 300lbs. or something like that then I would definitely advise thinking twice about it, but I see no harm here. I wasn’t sure if I was going to like PL when I was training for my first meet, if I hadn’t enjoyed myself then I would have simply adjusted my training afterwards. It’s not like he’s torn between PL and something totally unrelated like fishing or tennis.

I agree, but I don’t see that as training for powerlifting. That’s simply lifting weights. Training for powerlifting would be training specifically for a greater 1rm in those 3 lifts, which is some parts strength and some parts skill.

I train for increased strength in the 3 powerlifts, but across a broad spectrum of rep ranges, with 1rm being of smaller consequence. I don’t use ROM reducing techniques for the most part. I would not say what I am doing is training for powerlifting, but it certainly gets me stronger in the 3 lifts that are a part of that sport.

My buddy and I were training with a guy who does powerlifiting…things fell off with the guy that was training us but our first meet was going to be in March 2018 and we still wanted to give it a go on are own…and train ourselves till March. I’ve been trying to upload my deadlifting, and video for some reason I cant so if it isn’t to much to ask I have a couple of my videos on Instagram name is Clyder001.

Thank you. This has a way of getting watered down.

There’s nothing like another hair-splitting debate at T-Nation forums…

I apologize if you feel that way. In fairness though, you replied to my post first.

I take no offence. I just don’t want to get caught up in a pointless argument, and it’s quite easy for that to happen around here. I think we’re mostly on the same page though. Just lift weights, get stronger, and prepare for whatever competition you want to do in a reasonable manner.

Your deadlift looked good for a max effort. Not sure what your plates weight but if that was s 495lbs deadlift then I’m not sure why you don’t sign up for something sooner.

Glad too. The “internet powerlifter” is a thing that needs to die. I’ve got nothing but respect for people getting out there on the platform and making some sacrifices, but you don’t get to be a powerlifter because you lift weights in a gym.

Thank you… but the guy that was training my friend and I told us we should wait a few years before power lifting, and only lift in a group called NASA because I guess they were one of the only groups that still test for meets… appreciate the reply’s I look forward to posting my first meet stats on here.

I lifted in NASA. Did 3 meets; never got tested. They were a fine group, but not the only one around, and not the only tested one either. Don’t get too caught up in fed drama.

These x1000.

The moment I hear someone say they’re a powerlifter but don’t compete regularly in some federation, I consider them a bullshit artist. You don’t call yourself a footballer if you kick a ball around at the park every couple of weeks.

Same with fed vs fed. I dislike the IPF and its affiliates personally but I get on very well with a number of people competing in it.

Lifts weights and then go compete.

Personally I like competing, but not all day. Some fed directors run good meets and those I like to do. Others who have poor spotters and are generally unorganized will never see me again.

There’s no money in PL so just have fun doing it; otherwise, competing just isn’t worth it imo. Lifting weights and getting stronger is what matters.