Considering Military

[quote]reneeweimer wrote:
look at the similar scale… I didn’t memorize the damn thing to reply to your argumentativeness, Vandal. What the hell ever - guess you’re proving a point or something.

O-1 with 3 vs. E-6 with 18… try looking at that. I hope that is a high enough level of specificity for you.[/quote]
Which goes to prove that college counts for something.
By the way, if an O-1 has 3 years and hasn’t made rank something’s gone wrong.

[quote]Vandal wrote:
reneeweimer wrote:
An 0-1 with 2 years makes the same as an E-6 with 14 years. http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables.html

$2763.60 < $3,282.00

Yes I like being argumentative. ;)[/quote]

Ok, what qualifies you to make this argument?

Are or have you ever been in the military?

[quote]spyoptic wrote:
StevenF wrote:
Well, I am finally done with college at the ripe age of 25…

yea SLAY THAT DRAGON!!!

you’ll be an officer anyways so unless you go infantry you’ll push papers 90% of your career.
[/quote]

It wasn’t clear if the OP would go straight into Officer Candidate School from civilian life, or if he has to apply for a slot like all other enlisted personnel. In the latter case, it could be many months/years before that OCS slot opens up.

The buddy in ROTC has already spent 2-4 years in quasi-enlisted status, so the same rules don’t apply. Border Patrol is likely a better option for you at the current time. Plus, a bi-lingual LEO is far more marketable than a former soldier,I’m sorry to say.

Also, lots of new grads with dismal job prospects applying to be military officers. Lots of competition.

Do you want to be an E-4 for an indeterminate period of time BEFORE you become an officer?

[quote]el dinero wrote:

It wasn’t clear if the OP would go straight into Officer Candidate School from civilian life, or if he has to apply for a slot like all other enlisted personnel. In the latter case, it could be many months/years before that OCS slot opens up.

The buddy in ROTC has already spent 2-4 years in quasi-enlisted status, so the same rules don’t apply. Border Patrol is likely a better option for you at the current time. Plus, a bi-lingual LEO is far more marketable than a former soldier,I’m sorry to say.

Also, lots of new grads with dismal job prospects applying to be military officers. Lots of competition.

Do you want to be an E-4 for an indeterminate period of time BEFORE you become an officer?
[/quote]

huh? don’t you just show up and get an OCS slot? we’re not talking about prior enlisted.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
Vandal wrote:
reneeweimer wrote:
An 0-1 with 2 years makes the same as an E-6 with 14 years. http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables.html

$2763.60 < $3,282.00

Yes I like being argumentative. :wink:

Are or have you ever been in the military?[/quote]
I think I’ve made the wrong impression with my earlier post. My original reply to reneeweimer was meant to be a smartassed ribbing referring to making statements that could be easily refuted, at least on the surface. I think everyone realizes that your paycheck in the military has a host of factors and variables affecting the total ammount. I certainly didn’t mean to slight or offend anyone.

Yes I’ve been in and still am in the military.

[quote]Vandal wrote:
Are or have you ever been in the military?
I think I’ve made the wrong impression with my earlier post. My original reply to reneeweimer was meant to be a smartassed ribbing referring to making statements that could be easily refuted, at least on the surface. I think everyone realizes that your paycheck in the military has a host of factors and variables affecting the total ammount. I certainly didn’t mean to slight or offend anyone.

Yes I’ve been in and still am in the military.
[/quote]

Smartassed ribbing… ok here’s a link for you. - YouTube

There ya go - should be a laugh for you! Now, back to the military. Yes, everyone who is IN the military realizes that there are several factors affecting your total paycheck. StevenF is NOT in the military, so I made that general statement that even junior officers tend to make much more than enlisted personnel with several years experience. Which is true, if you look at the pay chart. It can be taken several ways, but the pay chart definitely doesn’t lie.

So. Tah-dahh… pretty much helps to add credibility to a thread like this if you mention that you are in the military, as well. Have you seen the War Room on TNation yet? I ask, because your post numbers are low & I can invite you there if you like.

I hope you like Monty Python. (Referring to the link I provided.)

Semper Fi - Renee

get out of michigan. I’m over at GV for the same degree but I’m not taking the academy here - jobs are WAY too scarce. Check out Houston, LA, Aura Colorado, Denver Colorado and these websites:
www.lawenforcementjobs.com www.theiacp.org/jobs/jobsindex.cfm www.usajobs.gov plus a lot of other states police departments will sponsor you through the academy if you get hired into them. check it out and let us know

That skit is good by my favorite is The Four Yorkshiremen. I’ve seen the War Room but I can’t get in. Yes I’d like to get in.

thanks GVkid, I was not planning on putting myself through the academy due to the fact that 1. you are not gauranteed a job and 2. the certification you receive is only valid for a certain amount of time. Could be a colossal waste of money. Thank you to everyone for your responses. I am going to shoot for the Michigan Department of Corrections they are apparently doing some massive hiring in the fall according to the recruiter I spoke with.

Make sure you have a good idea of what you want to do once you go in. A lot of people recommend the Air Force as, because others have said, it’s “easier.” However, that’s pretty lame advice.

If you want something to do with combat arms, Army or Marines is your thing. As an above poster said, MP is a combat arms trade and spends significant time in the field. The army has fat signing bonuses, while the Marines tend not to in an effort to maintain high standards for enlistment.

The Navy tends to work closely with Marines and Navy Corpsmen serve as medics to Marine infantry. The Navy and Air Force are your best bets if “seeing the world” is one of your goals and you’ll find a lot of opportunities for acquiring/using skills in electronics or language in both branches. My dad was a WCO in the CAF – spent time on every continent as a M.Cpl and learned Russian, German, and Mandarin.

Also worth considering is how your training and choice of MOS affect civilian life post-service. You can’t automatically assume you’ll choose the military for a career so an MOS with high employability in civilian life is definitely something worth considering. Tons of choices other than MP can lead to positions in LE, and federal organizations especially are interested in those whose skills they can use, not who already have skills they can easily train.

-Enlisting with the CF Army infantry in September. (strong first post?)

CF army? wtf.

that being said, come join the dark side and commission in the army steven.

we can run around in afganistan and hold hands and watch a desert sunset and all that jazz.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
CF army? wtf.
[/quote]

…Canadian Forces? Is that somehow a bad thing? I considered the Marines but I figured if I’m going to join an underfunded branch with a bunch of drunks I might as well do it in my own country. (jk, no Marine hate)

What region of Afghanistan are you in?

we can run around in afganistan and hold hands and watch a desert sunset and all that jazz.[/quote]

Sounds fun actually, now what do I have to say to the recruiter to get that assignment?

[quote]NeedsMoreEggs wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:
CF army? wtf.

…Canadian Forces? Is that somehow a bad thing? I considered the Marines but I figured if I’m going to join an underfunded branch with a bunch of drunks I might as well do it in my own country. (jk, no Marine hate)

What region of Afghanistan are you in?[/quote]

nono, much respect bro. i just didn’t know what ‘CF’ stood for.

i’m actually not in the sandbox right now. currently in the states with orders on hold until stevenf get’s his shiny gold bar too. then it’s off to party time.

i’m actually not in the sandbox right now. currently in the states with orders on hold until stevenf get’s his shiny gold bar too. then it’s off to party time.

[/quote]

Whats your MOS? Just curious looking at military and want to know what will throw me into the shit fastest.

[quote]jmarriottc wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:

Whats your MOS? Just curious looking at military and want to know what will throw me into the shit fastest.
[/quote]

Ok, this is going to be complicated.

I am a non-qualifed, non-branched 2LT in the nat. guard. I drill with the 20th special forces group but have not been to the q-course or selection yet. I was able to commission with them because the batt cmdr of the unit is alumni from the same military school as well as a military fraternity. once i finish my degree i will go active duty, although i am torn between infantry and military police. so to answer your question i will most likely be a 11A or 31A when it’s all said and done. although 18A down the road would be nice, lol.

are you considering going in as an officer or enlisted? personally if i had the chance to enlist, i would probably go MP, as you’d def get the chance to get ‘thrown in the shit,’ as well as it have carry over if you wanted to go civillian LE.

or if you want to go be a badass, you can sign an 18X contract, which basically will pipeline you into a ranger regiment or SF. you will definatly see shit, and be able to be part of a unit with a much smaller amount of d.bags.

if anyone is curious, i commissioned wearing inf blue and crossed rifles, along with unit crest. granted it’s been 16 months since then, and i’m still not slotted for BOLC2, so go figure.

Ok, this is going to be complicated.

I am a non-qualifed, non-branched 2LT in the nat. guard. I drill with the 20th special forces group but have not been to the q-course or selection yet. I was able to commission with them because the batt cmdr of the unit is alumni from the same military school as well as a military fraternity. once i finish my degree i will go active duty, although i am torn between infantry and military police. so to answer your question i will most likely be a 11A or 31A when it’s all said and done. although 18A down the road would be nice, lol.

are you considering going in as an officer or enlisted? personally if i had the chance to enlist, i would probably go MP, as you’d def get the chance to get ‘thrown in the shit,’ as well as it have carry over if you wanted to go civillian LE.

or if you want to go be a badass, you can sign an 18X contract, which basically will pipeline you into a ranger regiment or SF. you will definatly see shit, and be able to be part of a unit with a much smaller amount of d.bags.

if anyone is curious, i commissioned wearing inf blue and crossed rifles, along with unit crest. granted it’s been 16 months since then, and i’m still not slotted for BOLC2, so go figure.

[/quote]Good luck with the SF goal. I’ve wanted to be in the JTF2 ever since my dad told me about the “ninjas” they had on base in the mid-90’s. A few of the Canadian infantry guys go through the US Ranger school, it’d be a crazy opportunity – hopefully I get to do it eventually.