Considering a Trap Bar

I really like the trap bar:

1. I think it was incredibly easy to just pick up and do - there’s essentially 0 learning curve
  2. I feel cool doing it
  3. It doesn’t hurt my lower back (I also had some injuries)
  4. I can load it up without being afraid, and it doesn’t wreck me for the next two weeks (although I’m not as strong as most the folks here, so take that for what you will)
  5. It’s very easy to change your hips and change the focus of the lift (quads, hip extension) vs. a straight bar deadlift where you’re really learning a new skill when you change something
  6. It’s relatively versatile. It’s pretty comfortable for shrugs, farmer’s carries, RDLs, etc. I’ve seen folks use it for rows, but I don’t like it - my butt gets in the way.

A couple watch-outs:

1. You still have to “brace” and use proper form. This has to be conscious, because the bar doesn’t seem to force it as much. It’s easy to hyperextend your lower back and just kind of shift the weight up.
  2. You have to be a little more conscious, in my experience, of getting your hips through and finishing with your glutes at the top. Again, the bar doesn’t really force it as much and you can end up kind of soft and letting the weight swing forward, which is going to be stressful and the opposite of what you want.
  3. It gives you more quads focus, which is one of the benefits, but you also have to account for it in your week. I found my knees were starting to wear out a little when I wasn’t accounting for this in addition to squatting and other assistance.

Anyway, that’s just my $0.02. I don’t think you’ll regret the bar.

1 Like

Good question.

I suppose I want to get that feeling off ripping something up from the floor. And for the times I was able to deadlift, the results were awesome. People would be asking me what I was taking.

I know the trap bar probably won’t be as good as the conventional deadlift, but If I could find something that is 50% as effective in improving strength and building muscle without the injuries, then I will take it.

tweet

This alone actually might be the issue. You may be jerking the weight off the floor in your deadlifting attempts, which would go a long way in explaining your history of back pain with the movement.

In regards to looking for something as good at improving strength and building muscle without the injuries, you might look into safety squat bar squats. Hammers the crap out of the upperback and will build a deadlift without the actual deadlifting part.

Big fan of the trap bar (I’ve got the DS bar). It’s really very easy to use with zero learning curve as has been said.

This is why I am considering getting someone to coach me for a few sessions. As simple as it seems, I would feel better with someone helping with the initial few sessions.

Safety squat bar squats sound interesting. I will have a look into it. I suppose that still means purchasing another bar as my gym does not have a safety squat bar. How how safety bar squats go with the lower back?

tweet

I don’t find it any more taxing on the lower back than any other methkd of squatting. It hammers the crap out of the upper back though.