T Nation

Conservatives ARE Corruption

“I picture reality in which we live in terms of military occupation. We are occupied the way the French and Norwegians were occupied by the Nazis during World War II, but this time by an army of marketeers. We have to reclaim our country from those who occupy it on behalf of their global masters.”
Ursula Franklin, Professor emeritus, Univeristy of Toronto, 1998

Posted by CorpWatch on August 22nd, 2006

Great column by Thomas Frank in today’s Times. He explains how reigning conservative ideology dismisses the entire concept of the public good and instead celebrates the circle of threats and payoffs that have put corporate interests in control of government.

Frank argues that the dejected feeling you may become used to only serves to perpetuate the problem.

Conservatives are infinitely better positioned to capitalize on public disillusionment with the political system, regardless of who does the disillusioning. Indeed, the chorus has already started chanting that the real culprit in the current Beltway scandals is the corrupting influence of government, not conservative operatives or their noble doctrine. The problem with G.O.P. miscreants is simply that they’ve been in D.C. so long they’ve “gone native,” to use a favorite phrase of the right; they are “becoming cozy with Beltway mores,” in The Wall Street Journal’s telling. If you don’t like the corruption, you must do away with government.

In other words, the free marketeers in possession of the country presently are wallowing in corruption and the wholesale sell-off of government operations not because it’s the best system, but because they are interested in destroying the government they presently control. This is in keeping with the parallel, that evangelical Christians support Israel’s war on Hezbollah not because they love the Jews, but because armageddon in the Middle East speeds the foretold return of Jesus.

Mainstream Christianity
The vast majority of those self-identified as Christians (an exception is Full Preterism) look forward to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. However, across the many denominations, the details of Christ’s second coming are somewhat diverse. Few dare to claim complete and authoritative interpretation of the typically symbolic and prophetic biblical sources. What is commonly accepted is that he is to return to judge the world and to establish the Kingdom of God, in other words to fulfill the rest of Messianic prophecy. A short reference to the Second Coming is contained in the Nicene Creed, the most widespread Christian statement of faith: “He shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead; of His kingdom there shall be no end” (speaking of “one Lord Jesus Christ”). It is also in the earlier Apostle’s Creed: “He will come again to judge the living and the dead.” It is also in the earlier Pauline Creed, perhaps the earliest Christian creed: 1 Cor 15:23. The Catholic and Anglican and United Methodist liturgy proclaims the Mystery of Faith to be: “Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again”. Generally, mainstream Christianity does not offer predictions on the date of the Second Coming. Some mainstream Christians may also form their own ideas of how and where it will happen, but recognize that such information is not important and is not essential to receiving “salvation”.

Islam
Main article: Islamic view of Jesus
The mainstream Islamic view of the second coming maintains that Jesus was replaced by a duplicate who looked like Jesus, and that it was the duplicate who was crucified while the real Jesus was lifted up to Heaven by God, where he is waiting to descend during the “last days” when corruption and perversity are rife on Earth. He will then wage a battle against the false Messiah or Dajjal, break the cross, kill swine and call all humanity to Islam.

Some minority sects of Muslims have different beliefs. The view of the Lahore Ahmadiyya Movement and the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community is based on an allegorical interpretation of the references to Jesus’s second coming in Islamic literature. They believe that Jesus died a natural death and the “second coming” refers to Mirza Ghulam Ahmad and his efforts to counter the threats to Islam from other religious groups. However, this view is not accepted by mainstream Muslims, and is widely criticized and refuted

“We live under a world banking system and media that make it almost irrelevant who is power. Political systems worldwide are at the mercy of business and bullshit economies. I can’t recycle any of the polythene packaging that fills my house. Why?”

“Some people can’t sleep with the curtains open in case they see the eyes they imagine in their heads every night burning through the glass. Lots of people have panic buttons fitted in their bedrooms so they can reach over and set the alarm off without disturbing the intruder.”

Nope. Conservatives are not corruption. There are some corrupted conservatives, there are some corrupt liberals.

The GOP seems a bit corrupt these days, but their are def. a few gems out their.

Stop trying to stir up trouble. We don’t need a “liberal” version of the “conservative” Headhunter.

Your arguements are frivalous, you have no tact, and you obviously don’t know how to write persuasivly.

At least HH knows how to use fear to force his opinions on people…

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Nope. Conservatives are not corruption. There are some corrupted conservatives, there are some corrupt liberals.

The GOP seems a bit corrupt these days, but their are def. a few gems out their.

Stop trying to stir up trouble. We don’t need a “liberal” version of the “conservative” Headhunter.

Your arguements are frivalous, you have no tact, and you obviously don’t know how to write persuasivly.

At least HH knows how to use fear to force his opinions on people…[/quote]

Don’t you ever try and label me as a “Liberal” version of HH, That guy is beyond worth trying to help. There is no argument here I’m only stating the truth. Wake up, you are serving the very same government you’re grandfathers died and put their lives on the line to overthrow. Fascism.

[quote]ssn0 wrote:
Don’t you ever try and label me as a “Liberal” version of HH[/quote]

Personally, I would never try to label you as such. HH makes WAY more sense than you ever have. His views may be viewed as extreme by some, but, and I hate to be the one to break this to you, you have established yourself as a legitimate tinfoil hat kook.

You are a fucking tool that adds ZERO to the political discusions on this forum. Take a hike jackass.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
ssn0 wrote:
Don’t you ever try and label me as a “Liberal” version of HH

Personally, I would never try to label you as such. HH makes WAY more sense than you ever have. His views may be viewed as extreme by some, but, and I hate to be the one to break this to you, you have established yourself as a legitimate tinfoil hat kook.

You are a fucking tool that adds ZERO to the political discusions on this forum. Take a hike jackass.

[/quote]

And here lies the biggest differebce between liberals and conservatives.

We recognize OUR crazy fuckers. We don’t like em’ unless they make us laugh :smiley:

[quote]ssn0 wrote:
Don’t you ever try and label me as a “Liberal” version of HH, That guy is beyond worth trying to help. There is no argument here I’m only stating the truth.[/quote]

It’s a bad sign when someone needs to point out they’re telling the truth.

In my personal opinion, while HH has some rather extreme and bizarre views, he’s still operating within the generally agreed upon “reality.”

You, much like JustTheFacts and Jlesk, are an inhabitant of CartoonWorld. Your kind of “truth” is only true in your fantasy land.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it. :slight_smile: