T Nation

Consequences of Lifting but Not Eating Enough Protein?

Will I just not gain the maximum amount of muscle I would if I was eating 1g per body pound?

Would strength stall thus muscle growth?

Thanks…

Are we talking like 0.7g / lb or like 50g a day?

Like .5-.75g lol

If you just want to build some muscle and look decent at the beach, it should be fine. If you are more serious then you may want to consider getting closer to that 1g mark, especially if in a calorie deficit.

Plenty of people got very big while eating under a gram of protein per pound. How big are you? If you are eating a satisfying portion of protein at every meal and eating enough food for the day, it’s doubtful you’re not getting enough protein. We’re talking a maintenance or surplus of kcals though.

.75 is fine so long as you eat enough calories.

HIT guru Ellington Darden claims 0.5 per lbs max. And peddles diets as low as 1200 kcals for males. That combo, for me, was a recipe for disaster but others swear by it. I wonder if his mentor Arthur Jones would have approved?

Yup, I’ve read that Darden.

Bill Pearl also suggests around 0.5 g/pound of bodyweight.

I wouldn’t recommend lower protein intakes at the tail end of a contest prep though.

Doesn’t the current literature support 0.8g/lb? I’m sure I read that somewhere, and we all just round up to 1g/lb because we suck at maths.

.5 to 2g, I don’t think it matters much. Personal preferences. I like at least 15% of my macros.