Consequences For Fighting Arrest?

How would mutual combat be defined and is it a felony or misdemeanor for both combatants?

You are always allowed to defend yourself with the same perceived level of violence that a perp intends to inflict on you.

That being said, always take a step back, put your open hands up and spout shit like, “Hey, peace on earth, bro…good will toward men…” If he advances on you, double palm him in the chin.

You can now tell officers, judges, and so forth, that you feared for your safety (a cop buddy told me to always say that first), that YOU backed away, YOU verbally tried to placate the guy and he advanced on you. Case closed.

Yeah you can defend yourself but watch out. Local laws can vary on reasonable and ‘excessive’ force.
It’s almost never worth it to ‘EGO’ fight.

Ive been arrested for assult before.

As long as the other person isn’t killed, usually you get off with a night in jail and thats it.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
You are always allowed to defend yourself with the same perceived level of violence that a perp intends to inflict on you.

That being said, always take a step back, put your open hands up and spout shit like, “Hey, peace on earth, bro…good will toward men…” If he advances on you, double palm him in the chin.

You can now tell officers, judges, and so forth, that you feared for your safety (a cop buddy told me to always say that first), that YOU backed away, YOU verbally tried to placate the guy and he advanced on you. Case closed.[/quote]

At least in PA, that is not even close to true. You have to make a reasonable attempt to escape, with the level of violence having to be extremely high and the ability to escape non-existant before you can claim self defense.

The reasoning is this- If you feared for your safety to such a degree, you should have tried to escape before doing ANYTHING else. Violent self defense is the last resort. At least around here.
I’m sure it varies from state to state.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:.

At least in PA, that is not even close to true. You have to make a reasonable attempt to escape, with the level of violence having to be extremely high and the ability to escape non-existant before you can claim self defense.

The reasoning is this- If you feared for your safety to such a degree, you should have tried to escape before doing ANYTHING else. Violent self defense is the last resort. At least around here.
[/quote]

Pennsylvania is now officially known as Pennslyvaginia it’s actually not that far off, makes sense :wink:

[quote]mazilla wrote:
SkyzykS wrote:.

Pennsylvania is now officially known as Pennslyvaginia it’s actually not that far off, makes sense :wink:
[/quote]

I think Pussyvania sounds better…

[quote]on edge wrote:
How would mutual combat be defined and is it a felony or misdemeanor for both combatants?[/quote]

there will be a victim and a defendant. two parties can be arrested mutually for reckless conduct as an example but then both are defendants.

Can anyone clairify on the backround check employment stuff?

I got arrested for drunk in public and resisting arrest like 6 months ago and pled guilty. I have 2 years of informal probation.

Will I get screened out for white collar jobs that do a background check?

Two years ago got into it pretty bad with my brother when he was tweaked out on the crystal… lots of blood, serious injuries, it was about as bad as a fistfight gets. Spent the night in jail. Next day at the arraignment I found out that the charges had been dropped. Never found out why (though I certainly didn’t stick around to probe the prosecutor).

[quote]MNguns wrote:
Anyone here been arrested for fighting?
I’m curious what the consequences are after?
[/quote]
1-Shut the fuck up, do NOT talk
2-Lawyer up, let him talk for you (You DO have one on retainer just in case, right?..)

Yes, lots of people in this world deserve to get the shit kicked out of them. But no, someone who is concerned about his future should not be the one to do it.

Join a BJJ and/or Muay Thai gym. Or better yet, join the Army and fight in Iraq.

Chuck Palhuniuk says something in Fight Club about “once those guys fought in fight club, they were carved out of wood. Nothing could piss them off”. The point is, once you’ve been in real fights, the little shit - like the trainer did - doesn’t make you as angry.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

You can now tell officers, judges, and so forth, that you feared for your safety (a cop buddy told me to always say that first), that YOU backed away, YOU verbally tried to placate the guy and he advanced on you. Case closed.[/quote]

“fearing for my safety” doesn’t work so well when you outweigh the other guy by a good 50lbs of muscle.

That is the negative of looking like you can hold your own. A military background with any sort of self defense training will work against you also.

[quote]psyconid wrote:
Can anyone clairify on the backround check employment stuff?

I got arrested for drunk in public and resisting arrest like 6 months ago and pled guilty. I have 2 years of informal probation.

Will I get screened out for white collar jobs that do a background check?[/quote]

If it is on your record and not expunged, yes, it can keep you from getting jobs and from getting into the military.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
MNguns wrote:

What happens?
Go to jail, spend a night. Maybe a court appearance?

Tonight I almost got into a scuffle w/ an @$$hole and a trainer @ the gym.

Man, theres a couple times in life, some punks just need to be cracked in the jaw!!!

How can it screw you over? It’s not a felony, so it cant realy mess up your employment record.

So what, you spend a night in jail, maybe a fine and or court appearance, maybe some com. service. No big deal!

You’re an idiot. Was this meant to sound tough? You’ve taken the time to think about it and post it, and it still seems like a logical solution.

1.) It could easily, EASILY, escalate to felony status.

2.) You could get your ass handed to you.

I guess if getting smacked down, getting arrested and having a record–you do know that people go to jail for crimes that aren’t felonies, right. I suppose you have plenty of money for the lawyer the court costs and possible restitution if you do manage to get a punch in and hurt someone.

Obviously you have no reason to be proud of your character or what people think of you or your family if none of this even remotely pauses you to think that there may be some ramifications for such an action.

Please do us all a favor and throw that first punch, I mean, the guy was probably doing curls in the squat rack right?[/quote]

Being a former “jailbird” myself…I have never been to jail for fighting, just b/c I got MY ass kicked (dom. violence), a b/s TPO that was never even VALID in the first place, and b/c I tried to get my stuff out of my house.

Yeah, it makes me wanna cry when I think about how much damn money and time I’ve had to spend to get this mess (and my now record) cleared up. I’ve even lost out on some really good job prospects b/c of this shit. Jail is a piece of cake, specially the women’s units.

90% of the chicks I was in jail with were in there b/c their old men beat the everluvin f*ck outta them, and their dudes WERE NOT EVEN REQUIRED TO GO SPEND ANY TIME IN JAIL! And our wonderful govt. wonders why women crack and kill their abusive bf’s/husbands.

A friend was recently arrested for tying to get his brother away from a group that was fighting.He didnt do anything except try to get his younger brother home so he would’nt get in trouble.

the cops arrested the whole group,now he has to go to anger management classes and if he misses one he’ll be braking probation and will end up in jail.The system sucks sometimes.

Who you are fighting, how many there are, and how you act when the police show up can affect the outcome.
Example: I fought seven 15-16 year old kids with skateboards. I was defending myself from an attack but ended up chasing them down the street where the police were waiting. The kids fought better than anyone I have ever seen fight. They had weapons and they were tough. I would have been charged if I pressed charges. Pretty screwed up since they should have been locked up. And before someone rips into me, I did not start this. I am a finisher not a starter.

[quote]TACHICK wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
MNguns wrote:

What happens?
Go to jail, spend a night. Maybe a court appearance?

Tonight I almost got into a scuffle w/ an @$$hole and a trainer @ the gym.

Man, theres a couple times in life, some punks just need to be cracked in the jaw!!!

How can it screw you over? It’s not a felony, so it cant realy mess up your employment record.

So what, you spend a night in jail, maybe a fine and or court appearance, maybe some com. service. No big deal!

You’re an idiot. Was this meant to sound tough? You’ve taken the time to think about it and post it, and it still seems like a logical solution.

1.) It could easily, EASILY, escalate to felony status.

2.) You could get your ass handed to you.

I guess if getting smacked down, getting arrested and having a record–you do know that people go to jail for crimes that aren’t felonies, right. I suppose you have plenty of money for the lawyer the court costs and possible restitution if you do manage to get a punch in and hurt someone.

Obviously you have no reason to be proud of your character or what people think of you or your family if none of this even remotely pauses you to think that there may be some ramifications for such an action.

Please do us all a favor and throw that first punch, I mean, the guy was probably doing curls in the squat rack right?

Being a former “jailbird” myself…I have never been to jail for fighting, just b/c I got MY ass kicked (dom. violence), a b/s TPO that was never even VALID in the first place, and b/c I tried to get my stuff out of my house.

Yeah, it makes me wanna cry when I think about how much damn money and time I’ve had to spend to get this mess (and my now record) cleared up. I’ve even lost out on some really good job prospects b/c of this shit. Jail is a piece of cake, specially the women’s units.

90% of the chicks I was in jail with were in there b/c their old men beat the everluvin f*ck outta them, and their dudes WERE NOT EVEN REQUIRED TO GO SPEND ANY TIME IN JAIL! And our wonderful govt. wonders why women crack and kill their abusive bf’s/husbands.

[/quote]

90%---- --bull****!

I’m sure that the ‘dudes’ would have spent time in jail had the stories of these women been true.

I can’t believe anything you say

[quote]summa wrote:
Who you are fighting, how many there are, and how you act when the police show up can affect the outcome.
Example: I fought seven 15-16 year old kids with skateboards. I was defending myself from an attack but ended up chasing them down the street where the police were waiting. The kids fought better than anyone I have ever seen fight. They had weapons and they were tough. I would have been charged if I pressed charges. Pretty screwed up since they should have been locked up. And before someone rips into me, I did not start this. I am a finisher not a starter.[/quote]

LOL. Seriously.

Seven tough, good fighters with weapons and you ended up chasing them down the street. Right.

[quote]summa wrote:
Example: I fought seven 15-16 year old kids with skateboards. I was defending myself from an attack but ended up chasing them down the street where the police were waiting. The kids fought better than anyone I have ever seen fight. They had weapons and they were tough. I would have been charged if I pressed charges. Pretty screwed up since they should have been locked up. And before someone rips into me, I did not start this. I am a finisher not a starter.[/quote]

So, let me get this straight. You were being attacked by 7 teenagers who had weapons, were tough and fought better than anyone you’ve seen fight and YOU chased THEM away? Something doesn’t add up here. Were they armed with these…

DB