T Nation

Conquering Lack of Energy & Speed

Hey Guys i need some advice I’m 15 and i play soccer iam one of the best players on my team but… by halftime i lack the energy to slam the ball away from the goal. Do you have any
suggestions of proudcts or training methods that may increase my endurance on the feild.

You probably just need to eat more before the game.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
You probably just need to eat more before the game.[/quote]
ok thanks for the tip, i will do
that

You should probably do more cardio.From your post it sounds like you’re a goalie,most coaches don’t make yall run.Doing the cardio will give you some stamina.

[quote]jmwintenn wrote:
You should probably do more cardio.From your post it sounds like you’re a goalie,most coaches don’t make yall run.Doing the cardio will give you some stamina.[/quote]

Im not a goalie i play mid line defener & sometimes sweeper bolth really wipe me out. but thanks for the cardio tip i’ll try that also

Hmm, not sure on where you are in terms of various things, so don’t mind if I give you some basic stuff…

Make sure you eat well the entire day of a game… especially breakfast. Personally, I wouldn’t be able to eat much right before running around, but if you eat well earlier in the day you should have the raw energy available.

Cardio can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. You may want to look up some articles that talk about HIIT around here. Doing a bit of HIIT sprinting might not be out of order… and it won’t take all day to do.

Anyhow, do some reading around here, you’ll find a lot of workout and nutrition advice you can apply no matter what your goals are… and your goals could easily change if you get serious and start seeing results for your efforts.

A few questions.

a. Are you doing sprint work?

b. Do you sip on a recovery drink during practice/games?
(simple as gatorade, or as good as Surge, at 15 a scoop of something sugary like kool-aid mixed with a scoop of whey, carbs and protein at a rough 2:1 ratio, diluted heavily will probably do wonders for keeping energy up)

Look to your meals 3 days before the game. that will determine your performance more than the day of the game.

Personally I don’t believe Higher Glycogen means Higher performance. Its worth experimenting with you.

When I have sugary combos during an athletic event I just feel spacey and tired.

I found that the following meals work best days and hours before athletic events.

5oz Salmon, 1 cup cooked steel cut oats, 1 grapefruit. 3 fish oil.

6oz grass fed beef, 1 cup, black beans 1 apple 3 fish oil

6oz turkey and medium size yam, with 1 tbs almond butter. 3 fish oil

2 scoops Metabolic Drive, 1 cups steel cut oats cooked, 1 cup mixed berries, 3 fish oil, 14 almonds.

try and see if a more low glycemic approach helps your performance vs. the old pound the gatorade approach, or even try upping the fat (monosaturates in each of those above meals.

I think the above combos allow you to spare your glycogen longer and use muscle triglycerides better. I personally would rather just drink water during sports despite what EXPERTS recommend.

I`m a little bit confused, do you mean the distance of your shots is too short? Then simply strengthen your legs. But technique is at least as important for a good shot. And usually it will get worse if the shin muscles (tibialis) are tired. So pay extra attention to these muscles.

[quote]Hennes wrote:
I`m a little bit confused, do you mean the distance of your shots is too short? Then simply strengthen your legs. But technique is at least as important for a good shot. And usually it will get worse if the shin muscles (tibialis) are tired. So pay extra attention to these muscles.[/quote] its that but also its that i can nolonger play as well as it turns to the second half beacuse i become too tired.

thanks for the advice i’ll definitly try your suggestions

No idea what your training is like so it is hard to comment on how to improve it but the comment on eating is a good one.

Sleeping properly?

Are you fit?

Are you eating enough before the game?

Are you drinking enough water?

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
Sleeping properly?

Are you fit?

Are you eating enough before the game?

Are you drinking enough water?

[/quote]

That was my first thought, are you drinking enough water? Dehydration can put a strong man down quicker then anything.

Just a wild thought, but if your kicking ability is declining throughout the day, what about some speed squats with 50-60% of max weight.