Conquering Bench Press Conundrum

add healthy fats… whole eggs, steak, fish like salmon and tuna, natty pb, extra virgin olive oil (evoo), coconut oil, almonds (or basically any nut)… the list goes on. if I’m in a pinch and I absolutely need calories I’ll eat whatever’s available (putting mayo on my sandwiches, eating the “healthier” choices on a fast food menu).

there’s a search function. there are tons of articles about this stuff.

but if you must make a choice between eating dirty junk food and not eating at all, I would eat the dirty junk food. you will end up softer in the end but at least you’ll have the energy to get that one extra rep or bump up the weight, and you can build on your physique instead of tearing it down in one place to build up another.

clean food > dirty food. any food > no food.

Pretty shit workout.

Squat: 125, 145, 185, 205, 235x4
Still felt hamstring pain. Four reps though on the last set, not too bad, hoping to get it next workout.

Shoulder Press: 55, 80, 80, 80
Reseted after not being able to complete 90 lbs for 5 reps.

Weighted Pullups(x20lbs): 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2
bleh.

I am sure that I recovered sufficiently for the past several days. Thinking about starting Smolov Junior for Bench press. Meanwhile lets see how I bench 140 next workout

okay workout, kinda disapointed after intaking about 3500 calories yesterday.

Squat: 115, 145, 185, 205, 235
Success!

Bench: 65, 85, 95, 115, 140x3
Complete bullshit. I swear I have to reset everytime I increase 5 lbs on my bench. But not gonna reset this time.

Deadlift: 145, 175, 205
Did it in Sumo style. Felt much easier doe.

Pullups(22.5 lbs): 1, 2, 3, 2 ~
Failure

Turns out food doesn’t help dat much.

I posted some great info on your log the other day, but apparently it didnt get posted because I posted a link to a competing website. It had a good meal plan that you could follow. Anyways, what I basically said in my post was that you need a program with A LOT MORE VOLUME. I realize you are training for strength, but you are not going to get anywhere fast with what you are currently doing. Since you are a begginer, you NEED to be doing MORE REPS in order to practice your technique and “teach” your body how to perform each lift. Currently, you are completing less than 20 “quality” reps a week on each of your main lifts if I am not mistaken. This is not nearly enough to improve your lifts. When I first started lifting, my workout looked like this: Bench press: 2 warm up sets of 8 reps, then 3x10 with whatever weight I could handle for all 30 reps. I did this workout every other day for about a year and a half. That took my bench from 95x1 to 200x1. As you can see, I completed between 150 and 200 reps a week. Take my advice and stay away from max effort training for a few years (you do not need it yet). Remember that you do not need to work out at your max to increase your max. If you have some more questions, just ask.

Important lesson: BE PATIENT. Serious gains do not come over night. The pursuit of size and strength is a life long process. All you have to do is eat, sleep, train hard, train consistantly, and be patient.

I understand what you mean. I’ve done 5x5 and 3x5 for the past four months to get my forms right

here’s a question:

at what point of your bench motion are you having trouble? bottom? middle? lockout?

bottom. lol I would attempt the 4th rep and just fails.

it’s mostly your pecs that take the load at the bottom, or at least that’s what it feels like to me.

what about your friend XArena? is he having trouble stalling like you? aren’t you two on the same program?

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:
it’s mostly your pecs that take the load at the bottom, or at least that’s what it feels like to me.

what about your friend XArena? is he having trouble stalling like you? aren’t you two on the same program?[/quote]

I’m benching 165x5 with a bw of 150-152lbs

are you having trouble progressing too?

I’m not gonna pretend to know what program you’re on or how it works. but I know that if I squat as the first exercise I don’t have much left for other exercises.

move bench to the 1st exercise to get over the hump. works every time.

Dude your 15 and weigh 140lbs!

You’re whole body is growing right now. Eat eat EAT!!!

You need over 3000cals every single day. Add protein shakes, mrp anything. Just get the cals.

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

I’m not gonna pretend to know what program you’re on or how it works. but I know that if I squat as the first exercise I don’t have much left for other exercises.

move bench to the 1st exercise to get over the hump. works every time.[/quote]

No im not having trouble, i usually dont have much left after squat but to be quite honest i would rather my squat go up 5 pounds than my bench go up 20 pounds any day lol

[quote]Think tank fish wrote:
Dude your 15 and weigh 140lbs!

You’re whole body is growing right now. Eat eat EAT!!!

You need over 3000cals every single day. Add protein shakes, mrp anything. Just get the cals.[/quote]

145lbs to be exact :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I am trying to get 3000cals every day but its pretty hard.

Never actually tried to bench first, I think I will try it next bench day.

[quote]XArena wrote:

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

move bench to the 1st exercise to get over the hump. works every time.[/quote]

No im not having trouble, i usually dont have much left after squat but to be quite honest i would rather my squat go up 5 pounds than my bench go up 20 pounds any day lol[/quote]

wow lol, we are quite different.

you know what, I would rather all my lifts go up every session.

but maybe I’m just crazy.

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

but maybe I’m just crazy.[/quote]

Everyone wants that, but I dont always have enough in me to increase everything, and squats are my favourite exercise so i love when they go up mpre than anything

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

but maybe I’m just crazy.[/quote]

Everyone wants that, but I dont always have enough in me to increase everything, and squats are my favourite exercise so i love when they go up mpre than anything

Expected Okay workout:

Squat: 115, 145, 185, 205, 240x1
Felt so confident that my second rep was going to be a success but I guess I just gave up in the middle of the rep :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Idc bout squats anyway.

Military Press: 55, 85, 85, 85
Felt extremely light. Was exploding the weights off. 90lbs next tuesday for sure.

Weighted Pullups(22.5lbs): 5, 5, 3, 2
According to XArena, I wasn’t hanging low enuf so i am going to stick to 25lbs for as long as I can do it with dead hang.

Bench day next, going to bench first next workout to see if I can get 140lbs.

[quote]Macmade wrote:
Expected Okay workout:

Squat: 115, 145, 185, 205, 240x1
Felt so confident that my second rep was going to be a success but I guess I just gave up in the middle of the rep :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Idc bout squats anyway.

Military Press: 55, 85, 85, 85
Felt extremely light. Was exploding the weights off. 90lbs next tuesday for sure.

Weighted Pullups(22.5lbs): 5, 5, 3, 2
According to XArena, I wasn’t hanging low enuf so i am going to stick to 25lbs for as long as I can do it with dead hang.

Bench day next, going to bench first next workout to see if I can get 140lbs. [/quote]

Yer an idiot, squats are the most important part of the program… so you should care about squats more than anything, and its not a rep unless its from dead hang…

chill dats why im gonna stick to 25lbs. and meh, its not like im not squatting, you know i was gonna do this.