Conor's West Texas Thread

Hey Gang,

It looks like, on the spur of the moment, I’ll be going to the NASA West Texas State meet in Hereford, TX next weekend.

I’ve never been to West Texas (any farther west than the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo, actually) and I’m pretty excited. I actually entertained West Texas A&M for grad school, so I’ll be able to tour the campus, but other than that I don’t have any plans.

Anyone live in the area and want to meet up after the meet, or does anyone know of anything to do? I’m thinking strip clubs, bars, roadside attractions.

-Conor

[quote]conorh wrote:
Hey Gang,

It looks like, on the spur of the moment, I’ll be going to the NASA West Texas State meet in Hereford, TX next weekend.

I’ve never been to West Texas (any farther west than the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo, actually) and I’m pretty excited. I actually entertained West Texas A&M for grad school, so I’ll be able to tour the campus, but other than that I don’t have any plans.

Anyone live in the area and want to meet up after the meet, or does anyone know of anything to do? I’m thinking strip clubs, bars, roadside attractions.

-Conor[/quote]

I live about 85 miles southeast of Canyon (WTAMU). Hereford is a little bit northwest of there. I actually lived in Hereford back in my cowboy days.

It smells like cowshit all the time there because there are so many feedlots in and around the town.

You have to go to Amarillo to get to the strip clubs, and there are a few - but not very good. Roadside attractions? Just dead animals and buzzards. Amarillo has some pretty good bars I am told.

Bone up on your spanish if you want to interact with the locals in Hereford. They are not really that local, and probably not that legal if you know what I am saying.

I lived 2 years in Amarillo and had a branch in Hereford I had to visit quite often. rain hit the nail on the head, there aint anything there. The bars in Amarillo can get interesting, but they are generally pretty tame. Lots of meth up there the last time I visited. I wouldn’t mind moving back, though.

I’m slightly less excited now, but I’m still looking forward to seeing WTAMU’s campus, Palo Duro Canyon and West Texas in general.

As far as the quality of strip clubs… I’ve been to some real dives in the hills in SW Missouri, and I can’t say the ones in Des Moines are just super. So basically, if there’s naked gals and not too many bouncing Cesarean scars, we’ll be in business.

I noticed it was kind of hard to find last time I was in DFW, but I also need to score a couple cases of Pearl Light. I’m assuming I can find it in the Pan Handle?

At any rate, I’m down for any chance I get to head South, where people talk right.

I wrote up our trip in my blog. It’s long, but don’t worry, there’s pictures, not to mention my titillatingly writing and witty observances.