T Nation

Connection Between Androgen Use and Female Cancers

I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer (hormone related) and am researching whether androgens contribute to increased risk of cancer (breast,uterine,ovarian) in women. I haven’t been able to find much info on this so I figured I’d throw it out to the pharmacy experts of T-Nation.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, i honestly have no idea but have any family members delt with the same thing? 5 to 10 percent is thought to be hereditary.

I’m very sorry to hear that, my best wishes to you

There’s probably not a whole lot of info that can actually prove the correlation between the use of steroids and breast cancer. Probably just a lot of speculation.

good luck beating the cancer, Beth

Most of the extant literature seems to address T levels in postmenopausal women (which I assume you are not). However, here is a link to a lit review/meta-analysis addressing studies that looked at the relationship between breast CA and hormone levels in premenopausal women:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(13)70301-2/abstract

(In case the link fails to work, the title of the article is “Sex hormones and risk of breast cancer in premenopausal women: a collaborative reanalysis of individual participant data from seven prospective studies”)

:frowning:

Sorry to here this, Beth.

Wishing you a successful recovery.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
Most of the extant literature seems to address T levels in postmenopausal women (which I assume you are not). However, here is a link to a lit review/meta-analysis addressing studies that looked at the relationship between breast CA and hormone levels in premenopausal women:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(13)70301-2/abstract

(In case the link fails to work, the title of the article is “Sex hormones and risk of breast cancer in premenopausal women: a collaborative reanalysis of individual participant data from seven prospective studies”)

[/quote]

Thank you - the article was helpful. Basically there’s no way to know if increased concentration androgens is causal or just an additional risk factor or the result of other risk factors. It can’t be that bad if Anavar is given to patients receiving chemo to diminish muscle wasting. I should have a genetic testing consult soon and perhaps more answers when that is complete. So far I’ve had a mastectomy and I’m more worried about the uterus and ovaries since we already know it’s a hormone related cancer. I am trying to figure out if taking var would make things worse. No way to know for sure.

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[/quote]

Thank you - the article was helpful. Basically there’s no way to know if increased concentration androgens is causal or just an additional risk factor or the result of other risk factors. It can’t be that bad if Anavar is given to patients receiving chemo to diminish muscle wasting. I should have a genetic testing consult soon and perhaps more answers when that is complete. So far I’ve had a mastectomy and I’m more worried about the uterus and ovaries since we already know it’s a hormone related cancer. I am trying to figure out if taking var would make things worse. No way to know for sure.[/quote]

I agree, you’re in uncharted waters vis a vis this topic. That is, there’s likely no way to ascertain/predict the effect (if any) of anavar usage re the risk/prognosis of breast and/or gynecologic CA in otherwise healthy women, as there aren’t any studies (to my knowledge) addressing this. On one hand, there IS evidence suggesting that elevated test levels increase the risks of these cancers. However, anavar isn’t test, and in fact is known to have relatively low adrenergic activity (at least at low dosages). So who knows.

If you wouldn’t mind sharing the opinion of your physician(s) on this subject, I would be very interested to hear them.