Conjugated Periodization Lift Selection

Does anyone know how frequently exercised should be changed while using conjugated periodization?

Since you are varying the rep range and tempo of each of the lifts each week I was wondering if it was really necessary to change the lifts every 2-3 weeks or if they could be done for a longer period of time? If so what would you recommend?

[quote]ConanSpeaks wrote:
Does anyone know how frequently exercised should be changed while using conjugated periodization?

Since you are varying the rep range and tempo of each of the lifts each week I was wondering if it was really necessary to change the lifts every 2-3 weeks or if they could be done for a longer period of time? If so what would you recommend?[/quote]

The 2-3 week rule of thumb is just a guide. Louis goes over it in detail on the westside articles. If your having good results, stick with it a little longer. No hard and fast rules, frequent changing suits the more advanced lifters also.

Well, according to everything I have read 3 weeks is the maximum amount of time your CNS can handle max weights for a given lift. So changing it frequently keeps your CNS from getting fried while allowing you to lift max weights year round. The more advanced you are, the sooner you need to change.

As for the supplemental lifts, those you can stick with for a longer period of time. Louie states in one of his articles that you should switch them when they stop working.

I would go to westside-barbell.com and elitefts.com and read all the articles, many times. I always pick up something new even from articles I have previously read.

Depends on your training age. Typically the longer you have been training or the more advanced you are, the faster you adapt to certain exercises at maximal effort. The Westside guys change every 1-2 weeks. Beginners can usually progress for 4 weeks or more. Try it out and change the exercise when it stops working for you.

Also, you can lighten up a little and work in the triples range, which is not exactly maximal effort by definition, but will allow you to stick an exercise longer and is probably better for less advanced lifters (as used in Westside for Skinny Bastards).

I appreciate the replies, thanks for the advise.