Conjugate Sequence System

[quote]thetruth24 wrote:
Yoda,

I recently asked CT’s opinion and got a couple answers.

At first, I thought that Concentrated loading was merely “concentrating” on a certain quality while maintaining the rest. Thus, I classified his “conjugate block system” as concentrated loading, as there is an emphasis rotation on each quality for each block.

CT stated that “No, concentrated means unidirectional training. My conjugate block system trains several different capacities and use different means at the same time, it is thus a conjugate approach. Conjugate doesn’t necessarily mean that all capacities are trained with equal emphasis.”

I thought that conjugated periodization was also concentrated loading? Would you mind elaborating on that?

It seems that unidirectional loading is “using only one training method during a certain time frame, but using a very high workload.” Which means that they train for only 1 object for each block, and just sequence it in a fasion, that the previously developped capacities will not be detrained too much.

Please correct me if Im wrong.

1. Conjugate sequence loading is unidirectional loading also known as concentrated loading

2. Unidirectional loading is focusing on only 1 quality in a given block

I am pretty confused now. It would be appreciated if you could classify and sort out these terms.
1)unidirectional loading
2)concentrated loading
3) concurrent loading
4) conjugate periodization
5) conjugate method
6) conjugate sequence system

I have attached a graph that shows Zat’s form of periodization, which looks quite similar to CT’s conjugate block, and doesnt seem remotely anything like what Verkhonsky describes.

Your time and help is appreciated.

-The Truth
[/quote]

Sorry I haven’t been around. Verkhoshanksy mentions this too: he says that maintenance during a phase of concentrated loading can complicate the training effect exactly as CT said. This can turn unidirectional loading into a multi-sided approach, even if the maintenance is small. I don’t really know a way around that problem because the training effect of some loading is lost after only a few weeks. I guess if something is super important and you’ve got a huge base of everything else it’s ok if something deteriorates while you work on something else.

FWIW

Here is my take

the concurrent method can exsist in a conjugate system.

I view conjugate more as a macro approach where oncurrent/complex/unidirectional all are kinda more micro

So conjugate is a concentrated effort in developing one trait. each training block is dedicated to a new trait which builds upon the previous.

So conjugate training can contain speed, strength, hypertrophy all in the same training cycle, what differs is the volumes and intensities of each depending on the training goal.

As louie says its the rotation of exercises that makes it conjugate (or at least he wrote it before).

First think of the term rotation as the term sequencing. Now it’s basically saying WSB is conjugate because of how they sequence their exercises in the program. From there, rather than thinking of exercises as just the movement think of them as the training effects and their variations.

For example DE Work = Small effect, chains = bigger speed effect, Bands = greatest speed effect. So how you sequence the methods/exericses in conjunction with the ME work and the REP work determines the outcome of the training cycle and the emphasis of it.

So you have the base block which is more of complex focus, you have a circa max block which is more ME oriented, they also do blocks with traditional plyo’s and overspeed work which could be viewed as a speed block.

So what you have is a system where all the elements are trained simultaneously, however they are all not trained/developed equally during each block/cycle/phase or what ever you want to call it.

So in conjugate you have a system where all the elements are trained simultaneously, but to varying intensities and volumes which determine the training cycles concentration.

I hope this is coming across well as it’s kinda stream of consciousness combined with a little mental masturbation

Other examples of the conjugate system are Charlie Francis’s Vertical Integration model, where plyo’s, strength, speed, fitness are all developed simultaneously, in a short to long format where each movement supports that phases goal, For example up plyo’s correspond with acceleration phase of the sprint, Flat with another portion of the race and down with yet another, so they are all directed towards a specific concentrated goal of each phase.

DB Hammers system is also a form of “conjugate”

squattin600,

Great Post.

I understand that concurrent loading can be inside conjugate periodization, as this is what westside entails. Loading on several qualities and developing them simultaneouly. I believe Siff suggests that this is OK for beginner/intermediate lifters.

CT, describes concentrated loading as a properly sequenced order of blocks, in which each quality is slowly developed building off of the previous block, hoping that little detraining occurs. This seems sub-optimal, and is suggested that only super elite atheletes can benefit from, due to their strong and well developed base.

You stated that you “view conjugate more as a macro approach where oncurrent/complex/unidirectional all are kinda more micro”

Would you mind explaining that more. Conjugate periodization is simply developing multiple qualities at once in a give training “block” So in a sense conjugate applies to a micro, meso, and macro. In most cases,a unidirectional approach would be considered a meso, or macro, as several unidirectional mesocycles build up to a macrocycle.

You provided an example for DE. Great one I might added. Would you be kind enough to provide an example for the ME and RE as you build up?

A circa max block, is as you said, more ME orientated, as they add bands to help provide the force to help reach “maximal” tension. However some of us don’t have access to bands, chains and etc. How would you then design a ME block. You must also keep in mind DE and RE must be maintained.

I like your statement about varying the intensities and volume to determine the concentration of the quality. However, when I asked CT about this, he responded that his “Conjugate Block system” still could not be classified as concentrated loading, because each block does not devote more than 50% of its volume towards a quality. So where does that leave us?

Can conjugate periodization, integrate unidirectionl/concentrated loading? Are these terms only terms, and are dependent on the definitions of the sources?

Joel’s recent article rises and interesting topic of integrating different periodizations which provide the possibility of answering these questions.

Please read my post and let me know what you think.

Haha, Sorry long one. I can get carried away.

-The Truth

[quote]thetruth24 wrote:
squattin600,

Great Post.

I understand that concurrent loading can be inside conjugate periodization, as this is what westside entails. Loading on several qualities and developing them simultaneouly. I believe Siff suggests that this is OK for beginner/intermediate lifters.

CT, describes concentrated loading as a properly sequenced order of blocks, in which each quality is slowly developed building off of the previous block, hoping that little detraining occurs.

This seems sub-optimal, and is suggested that only super elite atheletes can benefit from, due to their strong and well developed base.

You stated that you “view conjugate more as a macro approach where oncurrent/complex/unidirectional all are kinda more micro”

Would you mind explaining that more. Conjugate periodization is simply developing multiple qualities at once in a give training “block” So in a sense conjugate applies to a micro, meso, and macro. In most cases,a unidirectional approach would be considered a meso, or macro, as several unidirectional mesocycles build up to a macrocycle.

You provided an example for DE. Great one I might added. Would you be kind enough to provide an example for the ME and RE as you build up?

A circa max block, is as you said, more ME orientated, as they add bands to help provide the force to help reach “maximal” tension. However some of us don’t have access to bands, chains and etc. How would you then design a ME block. You must also keep in mind DE and RE must be maintained.

I like your statement about varying the intensities and volume to determine the concentration of the quality. However, when I asked CT about this, he responded that his “Conjugate Block system” still could not be classified as concentrated loading, because each block does not devote more than 50% of its volume towards a quality. So where does that leave us?

Can conjugate periodization, integrate unidirectionl/concentrated loading? Are these terms only terms, and are dependent on the definitions of the sources?

Joel’s recent article rises and interesting topic of integrating different periodizations which provide the possibility of answering these questions.

Please read my post and let me know what you think.

Haha, Sorry long one. I can get carried away.

-The Truth[/quote]

Some things to think about

1. Sif did say that concurrent training was best left to beginner/intermediate. In my view WSB’s standard template is more concurrent, however the way they sequence and rotate phases/blocks is what makes it conjugate

As far as conjugate sequence being more macro. I’d say its more “big picture” if that makes sense. In its basic form it is block training where emphasis shifts from block to block with each block building upon the previous. It’s the proper sequencing of these blocks that meks it the conjugate sequence system

So when thinking conjugate sequence, you are thinking what are the goals of this block, what is the next block or goal I am training towards and how does this one prepare me for the next one. A very Macro type of view

Versus

Concurrent basically looks at the fact that multiple qualities are trained over the course of the session or week. More of a micro view

Can conjugate utilize more of a concentrated loading, yes.

Well that’s all for now

squattin600,

Yea, I consider westside concurrent also, because Siff defines concurrent as developing qualties simuletaneouly.

However, I disagree with your statement about Westside’s rotation of blocks that makes it conjugate.

Conjugate basically means developing several capacities at once.

With Westside, this is what they are doing. By developing Maximal strength, power, and size each week, it makes it conjugate. However, they do this all year. There is where I don’t see any rotation of phases or blocks.

When you say “In its basic form it is block training where emphasis shifts from block to block with each block building upon the previous”

Would an example show blocks sequenced in the order of ME FOCUSED, RE FOCUSED, THEN DE FOCUS?

If so, how would you divide the emphasis in a 4 week mesocycle or microcycle (you pick)?

“Can conjugate utilize more of a concentrated loading, yes.”

It depends on your definition of concentrated loading. A pure unidirectional approach or a unidirectional approach + matience. In any case, please elaborate on how Conjugate periodization can utilize concentrated loading.

Long Post again, but your thoughts would be appreciated.

-The Truth

Here is some food for thought. Taken from an article by James Smith titled Organizational Components of Training for Sport

“The Complex method is synonymous with the Concurrent system of training in which several motor abilities may be developed in parallel. When considering the Complex/Concurrent systems of organizing training one may advance the organizational process by integrating a system of sequencing multiple complex training variables. This sequencing of many motor skills may be arranged in series so as to systematically impose phases of intense uni-directional loading on a targeted motor ability while concurrently maintaining the multi-lateral development or retention of all other motor abilities. This advanced method of organizing training is known as the Conjugate Sequence System. ?When speaking of special strength training methods, one should turn particular attention to the so-called conjugate method. Essentially, it consists of the momentary influence on the key motor quality to the interconnections corresponding to the specific activity, while preserving the structure of the sport exercise. The conjugate method secures strength development in synthesis with other key qualities while preserving their rational interrelationships to the muscle groups. Furthermore, it furthers perfection of technique by preserving the structure of the sport movement.? (3)”

James is well versed in the russian texts and when considering the WSB method you can see how it fits with the definition of Conjugate.

If we strictly define the Western Method/Concentrated loading as training with out retention loads, then Conjugate does not fit the concentrated loading definition

However some Western/concentrated proponents do claim that Retention ,oads should be used during the periodization scheme. If that is true, then the differences become minimal

[quote]thetruth24 wrote:
squattin600,

Yea, I consider westside concurrent also, because Siff defines concurrent as developing qualties simuletaneouly.

However, I disagree with your statement about Westside’s rotation of blocks that makes it conjugate.

Conjugate basically means developing several capacities at once.
[/quote]
This is true. I think the “conjugate method” was coined by Medvedyev in his Russian manual (which I don’t have with me right now). He referred to it as developing several qualities at once (DE,ME,RE, etc). He also strongly advocated rotating exercises often (he did it every 3 weeks).

Westside definitely does not do this all year, it is only recommended in their “standard template.” That’s why they have bands and chains, circa max phases, etc. They might use chains 3 weeks, then bands 3 weeks, building off of the training effect of each. I admit that their methods aren’t the most scientifically organized (because they go by their own weaknesses and prescribe a lot of their own training). Also, we don’t see much of their planning, although Sq600 is right, they do plyos and cycle their DE work (bands, chains, plyos, etc.).
That’s confusing, so:

1. Standard Westside is basically concurrent
  2. Westside AT Westside probably has a lot of (somewhat) unidirectional training, but we don’t see it because we don’t know how they specifically plan.

First of all, 4 weeks would focus on one quality while maintaining the rest. Second, increasing the frequency of training is the recommended method of increasing intensity during a concentrated loading phase.
4 week mesocycle:
Day

1. ME upper
  2. ME lower
  3. DE/RE upper
  4. ME lower
  5. ME upper
  6. DE/RE lower
  7. off
    Days 3 and 6 are done at 75% of normal intensity also. Repeat this 4 times and you have a simple, concentrated, 4 week ME phase. Now, the conjugate method could be used, rotating exercises throughout the days (say on day 1 use heavy band tension and on 5 use heavy chains). The key of the conjugate method is [quote]“strength development in synthesis with other key qualities while preserving their rational interrelationships to the muscle groups.”[/quote]. This is accomplished by, as Pavel (I think) says, doing “The same thing, but different.” Adding bands to squats is basically the same, but a little different.
 I think there is a continuum from concentrated to complex training, and as you increase the concentration of a particular quality you get a greater "displacement" of your functional reserves (as Verk. Might say) for that quality.  The more advanced the athlete, the greater the necessary displacement.  One might go from traditional Westside to the addition of sled dragging on an off day.  That would increase the emphasis on the RE method, increasing the athlete's size.  Now, once an athlete is the optimal size, you might curtail the RE methods to 1 day per week.  At that point a week might look like:
  1. ME upper
  2. DE lower
  3. DE upper
  4. ME lower
  5. DE/RE total body
  6. DE lower
  7. DE upper
    To concentrate on DE or the converse to focus on ME (perhaps after this phase to take advantage of the newly-acquired speed). It is nearly impossible to take the Westside template and make it unidirectional without drastically changing it or adding days. Verkhshansky recommends increasing the frequency of working out a particular quality as the means of increased intensity, which is what I did here. I suppose you could use other methods, but they are harder to quantify (say using plyometric instead of regular dynamic days).

Hopefully before school starts I’ll be able to make an example program that shows how I perceive concentrated loading to work and how I think it should be integrated into a program.

This leaves us at the fundamental question of training at this point in time:  How do you increase the intensity of loading in the most effective way?  Right now it is through an increase in volume.  However, that's probably not the absolute best way.  In fact, it's the worst way, but it's the easiest to quantify and therefore the most accessible.  "DB Hammer's" methods take a great leap forward.  He seems to have found a way to regulate intensity instead of just volume, and his novel means are probably in the future of training.  Unfortunately, the whole "DB Hammer" controversy and his outrageous claims have greatly hurt his credibility.  But, in the future of sport training I see a system like DB's (or Jay Schroeder's) becoming the cutting edge.  We just have to wait until a credible source with an understandable system makes the innovation.

Great to hear from you Yoda.

You gave an example of how the certain qualities can be emphasized on while others, maintained.

The problem is, that some of us don’t have access to chains or bands.

I was wondering if dividing total weekly volume into categories of ME,DE,RE would be a possibility.

Take CT’s Game Plan article. Say we decide to do 100-120 reps total for each “muscle” group or movement.

Can you take 50-60% of that total reps and devote that to ME training, and then divide the remaining beteen DE & RE?

Another Idea
Tuesday: ME UPPER

1. Work up to a single (6-8 sets)
  2. Variation of Press 4x10
  3. Acc. Back work 3-4 x 8-10
  4. Shoulder Press 3-4 x 8-10

THURS. ME LOWER

1. WORK up to a triple (6-8 sets)
  2. Squat work 4x10
  3. Posterier Chain work 3-4 x 8-10

SAT. DE/ME/RE UPPER

1. Bench Press 4x3 (60% load)
  2. Bench Press 5x3 (90% load)
  3. RE WORK (75-80%)

Just tossing Ideas.

I agree with you, that the standard template must be manipulated in order to achieve concentrated loading…

However, would’nt an athelete need to be in top physical prepardness in order to train every single day?

Monday: ME UPPER,RE WORK-LOW INTENSITY/HIGH VOLUME
TUESDAY: ME/RE LOWER
WEDNES: DE/RE UPPER (RE IN THE LIMIT/FUNCTIONAL REP RANGES)
THURS: DE/RE LOWER
FRIDAY: ME UPPER

Essentially, there would be carryover of strength on Wednesday.

A sample program of interwining these principles would be fantastic.

Thanks.

-The Truth

Greetings!

For those of you who are enjoying this discussion, I encourage you to check out James Smith’s website: powerdevelopmentinc.com

He does a great job of examining the various Russian literature, including the periodization schemes listed here and their application for various sportsmen. He is also quickly becoming one of the foremost authorities regarding the direct application of the Soviet methodologies of old (and to a large extent, present).

You guys have done a great job in discussing these topics for what they’re worth - keep up the great work. I just wanted to share his site address, hoping it might be beneficial to those who are unfamiliar with it since it focuses almost exclusively on the discussion topics of this thread.

I train every day and I'm far from top physical shape.  It's just a matter of the volume and intensity on any given day that's important.  you could increase your frequency right now: take you total volume for each day and divide it over 7 days.  You'll probably have better workouts because of it.  in fact, weightlifting/strength training sports are the only sports that train on a "split" of any kind.  When I swam I swam 5 days a week and competed on the 6th.  I played football 4 days a week and had a game on the fifth.  Some teams practiced on weekends too.  The key is not killing yourself on any one traiing session.  Increasing the frequency can increase the quality of you workouts and the amount of work you can do, as long as you don't overdo it.

[quote]Nuttall wrote:
Greetings!

For those of you who are enjoying this discussion, I encourage you to check out James Smith’s website: powerdevelopmentinc.com

He does a great job of examining the various Russian literature, including the periodization schemes listed here and their application for various sportsmen. He is also quickly becoming one of the foremost authorities regarding the direct application of the Soviet methodologies of old (and to a large extent, present).

You guys have done a great job in discussing these topics for what they’re worth - keep up the great work. I just wanted to share his site address, hoping it might be beneficial to those who are unfamiliar with it since it focuses almost exclusively on the discussion topics of this thread.[/quote]

Agreed. Check out James’s site. He’s obviously the man i cited earlier Actually I’ll see if I can get him to chime in here

Hey Tall,

Thanks for the reference. Feel free to join in and coin your thoughts on this subject!

-The Truth

[quote]Nuttall wrote:
Greetings!

You guys have done a great job in discussing these topics for what they’re worth - keep up the great work. I just wanted to share his site address, hoping it might be beneficial to those who are unfamiliar with it since it focuses almost exclusively on the discussion topics of this thread.[/quote]

Man, that would be great if he could join and explain this. Thanks!

-The Truth

Here is a description of conjugate written by Kelly Baggett

"Yes, I like the conjugate periodization method for any purpose but there has been a lot of confusion as to what conjugate periodization is so I need to clarify that. Chances are what you think is conjugate really isn’t conjugate. A lot of people think it’s one of the following:

A: A periodization setup where you switch exercises every 2-3 weeks.

or

B: A periodization setup where you train all the necessary strength qualities at the same time without getting away from any of them. For example, you’d train maximum strength, reactive strength, explosive strength, and endurance with equal volumes during the same training week so as to address every quality.

Ok, now let’s talk about what conjugate periodization REALLY is.

There are essentially two main systems of organising long term training:

A: The concurrent system

B: The conjugate sequence system.

The concurrent system involves the simultaneous training of several motor abilities, such as strength, speed and endurance, over the same period of time, with the intention of producing multi faceted developments in fitness. Sound familiar?? Although research has corroborated the effectiveness of this system, the subjects used in these studies were generally conducted on athletes of lower qualification. While the negatives of the concurrent system are not apparent with less advanced athletes, they become very noticeable with elite athletes. It produces only average results in higher level athletes simply because when you try to train everything at the same time you limit the amount that you can focus on any given quality. Advanced athletes need more focus on a given quality in order to improve that quality, thus, when they try to do everything at the same time it doesn’t work as well.

To evoke a more powerful training effect in advanced athletes it is necessary to use intense phases with a singular focus in an order that produces a sum greater then it’s parts. This is precisely the purpose of the conjugate sequence system.

The conjugate sequence system involves successively introducing into the training program separate, specific phases, each of which has a progressively stronger training effect, and sequencing them in a way that creates favorable conditions to grasp a greater cumulative effect of all the training loads.

The conjugate sequence is characterized by a concentrated focus on developing individual specific motor abilities (strength, speed, strength endurance etc.), each of which is confined largely to a given period and sequencing them in such a way that each phase builds off the next producing a sum greater then it’s parts.

Research has shown clearly that training using a specific system of different means and methods produces a significantly greater effect than the separate random use of different training methods. This advantage is also achieved even with a smaller volume of work.

So each phase builds off the next and because of the concentration used, each phase has delayed effects, which carry over into the next phase. To give you an example, for someone in a speed dominant sport the sequence of phases would look something like this:

Gpp (4-6 weeks---->Strength-(4-12 weeks)---->explosive strength (4-12 weeks) (shock/plyometric/speed)---->competitive

Gpp builds a base of basic fitness by using a higher volume of low intensity work. This leads into a strength phase which uses a high volume of strength loading. This leads into a shock phase where strength is further intensified and explosive strength, plyometric capacity, and speed are developed to a much greater extent. During this phase the total amount of work is lower but the intensity is higher. Not only will the body be adapting positively to the shock loading itself, but it will also be supercompensating positively from the previous phase of high volume strength work. So you get the long term delayed effect of the previous strength work therefore you’re getting stronger, faster, and more explosive at the same time.

It should be noted that reversing the order of the training sequence will not often produce the same “summation” of training effects. Therefore if you focus on explosive strength followed by strength it’s likely you’ll reach a quicker stagnation at an earlier plateau then otherwise.

It’s also worth noting that some phases can be lengthened, that’s just a general outline. Simple enough!

Now does that mean that when you’re “focusing” on one quality that you totally avoid the other qualities?? No! It just means that those other qualities would be addressed at a much lower volume and intensity. If you were a speed athlete and you were in the strength phase, then your speed workouts might consist of performing low intensity technical drills. If you were in a speed phase your strength work might consist of lifting done as infrequently as once or twice per week consisting of 3 x 3 at 80-85% for a few movements.

Now that’s conjugate periodization"

So see again the traits are all trained at the same time but some are trained with retaining loads. While others are concentrated on. So it’s all in there just volumes and intensities of every variable are manipulated so that the emphasis/concentration from each block vary. and each block builds upon the previous.

Taken from Jamses site

101pro "So for personal clarification and discussion

Using the WSB model,

The WSB weekly template ME, DE, Rep traiing would be an example of complex/concurrent training.

I would then guess that it is the rotation of templates/emphasis that makes the WSB model conjugate.

For example

GPP Template->Basic Template->Speed Template->Crica Max Template

Where the basics stay the same (they all employ the use of ME, DE and REP) however the emphasis of each cycle builds upon the qualities developes during each previous cycle."

James Smith

"Yes, well first off Louie would be the source on this one.

However, my perception of the Westside method being an adaptation of the Conjugate method is as you illustrated.

Throughout the training year different training blocks are sequenced leading up to a contest. During each training block, as you state, there is always a certain volume of ME, DE, Supplemental, and Assistance lifts. This volume, and intensity, is waved so as to raise the motor potential of the lifters so that they are ultimately capable of setting PR’s on contest day.

Interestingly enough, and I state this based upon the many phone conversations I’ve had with Jim Wendler, I believe that many would be surprised to know that very little is predetermined at Westside. Each lifter has a general framework which they follow, however, each day in the gym is new and shit happens."

another interesting from james

“It is important to note that the higher the classification of the athlete the longer they can retain an intensive training stimulus (Charlie Francis has gone into great detail on this). Accordingly, the more advanced athlete will sustain more optimal adaptations to concentrated loading phases while the lesser qualified athlete will benefit from a more complex approach as their CNS is not efficient enough to handle or benefit from intense concentrated loading.”

And finally the retention of qualities is termed the Delayed Transmutation of gains.

Damn 600, great info.

I actually contacted JS last night and got a response this morning/afternoon. Basically he is occupied with Elitefts and his own site, so posting here is unlikely.

However, he would be more than happy to answer questions if we posted either on his website or Elitefts Q & A.

Since there is a lot questions here, I was wondering if we would just start gathering ideas and generating the specific questions, then posting it on the his site. Let me know what you guys think.

-The Truth

Alot of these questions get real technical.

I think we all would like to learn and understand more about these principles. However I believe that learning how to actually utilize these methods/ideas into practical training regimens are far more important.

How would you utilize a conjugate sequence into a training approach where Size, Power, and Strength is the goal. (Make it easier). How would you divide emphasis accordingly. Which techniques would you use each block.

These type of questions should also be the subject. Not just the technical training philosphy. They are useless unless we actually know how to apply it ourselves.

-The Truth

We have a lot of basic principles here that are fundamental to the development of an athlete in any explosive-strength sport.  The question is: how do we integrate these into training (specifically, our training)?  How do we know when we (or any athlete we're training) know we've built a strong enough base in multi-sided training to benefit from a concentrated block in any given sport?  Also, how do you integrate these concepts into a team sport, where the physical capacities of speed and strength are secondary to technique and knowledge of the game?  I think it might be time for us to do a little exercise: we should create a program.  Not just some 8 week series of workouts, but a full program, at least a year long.
 Now, a program is centered around a goal, be it max size, strength, speed, endurance, or any combination of those for any sport (or just to look god nekid).  Now, you can't be in peak condition all the time, so the program has to have at least one "competition" period, where you'll be at peak form.  Remember that the principles discussed above are designed exactly for this purpose: peak form when you want it.
 I think not only are we all a little intimidated by all the Russian concepts, we've reached a point of "paralysis-by-analysis" as well.  We've all demonstrated understanding of the material, and we don't really have regular, unrestricted access to a knowledgible teacher.  I think if we produce a few programs with the knowledge we have and defend them to each other (and maybe some of the more qualified members of T-Nation?) we could learn a lot and maybe figure out a few of the practical considerations that the principles of the conjugate-sequence system has to offer.
 So, here we go.  I will write a (theoretical) program for a Rugby player that begins at my level of physical preparedness and ends in two years with at least one truly conjugately sequenced concentrated loading scheme.  I go to UCLA and have access to the varsity weight room and I've met the strength coach, E.J. "Doc" Kreis, who has 3 degress from Eastern-Bloc universities.  When I finish, and when you finish, I have no problem with talking to him about them and seeing if he will critique them.  My program will be theoretical because I don't really have much control over my training anymore: I lift with the UCLA weightlifting team and my workouts are now made for me in the Bulgarian style, so I can't test it on myself.  It would be great if one of you guys tested yours on yourself.

Agreed Yoda,

Like I have said before. Technical Terms, Theoretical Training Philosophies are useless to us unless we learn how to apply it to real life training.

A year long program does not only sound good, but also practical. By creating a year training program, we can see the “big picture” and learn how to manipulate and structure certain variables that will contribute to the overall training effect.

Haha, Im pretty sure everyone has had their fair share of paralysis by analysis. However, by creating a program, we are a little bit beyond that. And by maybe testing it out ourselves, we will have taken it a couple steps further and putting that analysis to productive work.

I think the first thing though, is to make all defintions and concepts clear and straight before we start playing with this. For example, some may define unidirectional loading as “focusing on one sole quality in a block”, while others define it as “focusing on a quality while maintaining others”. We must differentiate between the various topics that we have discussed and organize everything, sorta of like brainstorming and outlining an essay.

If I might be so bold as to suggest we create both a concurrent and conjugate sequence system.

You guys still up to developing a series of specific and general questions about these eastern bloc principles? I was hoping to post this on James Smith’s site, which will ultimatley help us with our goal.

-The Truth

I wouldn’t mind joining this discussion. As a collegiate athlete I have the opportunity to test it on myself :slight_smile: I’ve gotten away from this thread because I’ve been pretty busy with my training schedule and I’ve had my had buried in Supertraining lately. I’ve been working on some stuff as far as planning my off-season training though. I’d be glad to share though.