T Nation

Congressman: Conspiracy MAY be Correct

�??Maybe the people who think there�??s a conspiracy out there are right,�?? DeFazio said.

DeFazio Asks, But He�??s Denied Access
Classified info - The congressman wanted to see government plans for after a terror attack

by Jeff Kosseff
WASHINGTON �?? Oregonians called Peter DeFazio�??s office, worried there was a conspiracy buried in the classified portion of a White House plan for operating the government after a terrorist attack.

As a member of the U.S. House on the Homeland Security Committee, DeFazio, D-Ore., is permitted to enter a secure �??bubbleroom�?? in the Capitol and examine classified material. So he asked the White House to see the secret documents.

On Wednesday, DeFazio got his answer: DENIED."

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/118489654058910.xml&coll=7

…seems to be a dead link.

Well I don’t know, HH, I hope the government has “plans” in case there’s a catastrophic attack. It’s well-known they’ve had plans to operate out of “secret” locations around the US at least since the early cold war. Do you mean something else?

Try this one:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/072407M.shtml

It seems that refusing access to someone that is in congress, on the committee for the subject matter, and has access rights to the classified material is of concern. Not that there is a plan, but that a critical member of “the government” is denied access to those plans.

If the people overseeing the committee for the plans is denied access, is it not reasonable this would raise a question/concern?

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
It seems that refusing access to someone that is in congress, on the committee for the subject matter, and has access rights to the classified material is of concern. Not that there is a plan, but that a critical member of “the government” is denied access to those plans.

If the people overseeing the committee for the plans is denied access, is it not reasonable this would raise a question/concern? [/quote]

I don’t like the idea of Congress being taken out of the loop. Granted, they are concerned with security but the man is on the oversight committee. He can’t ‘oversight’ if its all kept secret.

I’d rather run the risk of some security leak or even a terror attack than have a ‘Borgia Castle’ put together on the Potomac.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
Try this one:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/072407M.shtml

[/quote]

Thanks, Pete!

this is just a general comment i’m going to throw out their, because i normally don’t hear it.

many things are classified in the name of “national security”. Now, some things clearly should be–say like information dealing with new weapons systems or nuclear weapons.

but… lets be realistic here. this is the united states of America, the most powerful nation in the history of this planet (and i say that seriously). just how many things can really THREATEN our national security?

surely, some contingent plans about post-terrorist attack government routines cannot really pose any threat to our national security.

so, in sum, i do not buy this “national security” thing much.