T Nation

Congressional Redistricting... a REAL issue.

I often hear about how the electoral college is BS etc… But I like it. I think it still serves it’s purpose of forcing the feds to pay attention to small states. A popular election could be won by catering only to the interests of NY/LA/Chicago.

What I DON’T like is how congress can redistrict themselves to basically pick their own voters. That is seriously undermining our republic, IMO. For instance if 20% of New Hampshireites are libertarians, why are 0% of their congressman libertarians?

I just made that figure about NH up to make a point. But who agrees, and who wants to protest this shit!?

This is one the top of your list of fucked up things our gov’t does?

It would be interesting if the entire state voted off a list and the top five, depending on state, got seats.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
This is one the top of your list of fucked up things our gov’t does?[/quote]

It is a root cause of many of the fucked up things everyone complains about. In a Gerrymandered district with 80% of the voters supporting the incumbent party there is no pressure placed on the congressman to do a good job. Unless he is truly awful, he has nothing to worry about.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
[/quote]

Yes. With proper representation we can fix the rest.

[quote]Gael wrote:
dhickey wrote:

It is a root cause of many of the fucked up things everyone complains about. In a Gerrymandered district with 80% of the voters supporting the incumbent party there is no pressure placed on the congressman to do a good job. Unless he is truly awful, he has nothing to worry about.[/quote]

Not to mention it supports this two party system, which would crumble if we fixed this.