Congrats to Sammy Sosa!

I don’t know gents, but after seeing him jack a couple dingers out of Wrigley/Qualcom personally, it wouldn’t matter if his stick was corked or not.

The fucking guy shouldn’t have had a corked staff in the rack to begin with. He said he used it during batting practice to jack up the fans but come on dude, put the dirty stick back in your locker.

Who here hasn’t done something shady to get an edge? Who here has played their respective sports/activities completely by the book? Sometimes, being the best is knowing when to sneak something shady when the other guy isn’t looking.

However…

Sammy got caught. He’ll pay for it, through loss of endorsements, bad press, general embarrassment and challenges in abundance about how clean his Dingers were. He’s going to pay for his fuckup. Every ballpark he goes into the rest of his life will be full of corking heckles, fans don’t forget that kind of shit. Especially when it’s Sammy Sosa.

Has anyone heard if the rest of his bats were corked?

This is from “The Physics of Baseball”

Ever thought about corking your bat?
Batters swinging at baseballs have to swing the big ol’ bat fast, if they want good things to happen. Heavy bats make for hard work. For the last 100 years, players have tried to quicken their bats by breaking the rules. It’s tricky, and it doesn’t work very well. And as if I’ve got to tell you, it’s science.

For years, perhaps as long as the game’s been played, players have tried to add a little more spring to their swing by filling their bats with springy cork, and sealing them up cleanly in hopes that no one would notice.

Why cork? If you’ve ever fingered a flat-headed thumb tack, or muscled a handle-headed push pin into a cork bulletin board, you’ve probably noticed that the material, cork, is soft and spongy. Similarly, if you’ve ever knocked your knees with an ash wood baseball bat, you’ve undoubtedly noticed that it’s not especially soft. It’s bruisingly hard, very hard. So, it might stand to reason that a hard bat isn’t as resilient as a rod of cork. A ball bouncing on cork might rebound more robustly than one knocking on wood.

A cork-lined bat might also be a lighter weight, which would make its swing speed a lot faster than that of a heavy, old, wooden shaft. It’s easy to think that together, the happy springiness and the gossamer lightness, might help a batter drive the ball through the box and beyond. After all, cork is typically around four times springier than hard wood. But that’s not always what you’re swinging for. There are some, uh … other factors.

First of all, modifying the bat by drilling a hole and replacing the wood with another substance is illegal. Secondly, the cork hurts you. It would take a little speed and distance off your hit. Why? Well, the springiness of the cork cannot store energy from the pitch, because it takes too much time. A ball smooches a bat for about millisecond, a thousandth of a second. That’s all the time you get to direct a hit. Hmmm.

Think of it this way: Say you tore an old mattress open and extracted a single bed spring. Then you stapled this spring to your desk, or better yet, someone else’s desk. When you drop a baseball onto the spring, it compresses and springs back. If you do it from the right height, it’ll start oscillating. It will go up and down at what’s called it’s “natural frequency.” Notice that it takes time for the ball to compress the spring and for the spring to lift the ball. It takes time to store energy in the spring. The most efficient speed that any energy stored in the smooshed spring can be returned to the ball is around the spring & ball combo’s natural frequency.

Now, try dropping the ball on something stiffer, say your head. It won’t oscillate, but it will hurt – just ask Jose Canseco. Instead, the ball will thud and roll away. The natural frequency of your head, your skull-brain assembly, is much higher than the spring. Your head is stiff like wood – like a wooden bat.

The natural frequency of wooden bats is around 250 cycles per second, or 250 Hertz. Because the ball leaves the bat so soon (a millisecond), the energy transfer to the ball is not too efficient. If the bat has been hollowed and corked, it’s no longer as stiff, and it will get an even lower natural frequency and an even less efficient transfer of energy to the bat. The baseball bounces off the bat, faster than the cork can store the energy that could be put back in the ball. The cork might deaden the sound of a hollowed out bat, but it doesn’t propel the ball. It can’t. So, balls hit with corked bats don’t go as far.

Now, there is another factor, to be sure. A lighter bat is easier to swing, especially a bat that’s been lightened on the business end. But as we like to say in physics class, “it turns out that” one could get the very same very bearable lightness of bat by choking up about 1 inch (2.5 centimeters). Or, if you want to get tricky, just shave 0.1 inches off (3 box tops wrapped on the bat’s worth) the diameter of a regular bat. This loss of diameter may be a problem for those who want to get out by hitting pop-ups. For the rest of us, it’s the way to go, especially when it’s time to sign your major-league bat maker’s contract.

But, if you worried that choking up will hurt your chances on those outside pitches, there’s still no need to cheat. It is also perfectly legal to lighten one’s bat by hollowing out the end of a wooden bat. I’m sure you’ve seen the bats used by sluggers such as Jay Buhner. The end of the bat looks like it’s been cut through with an ice cream scoop. I recently visited the Louisville Slugger Bat Museum and saw many, many such hollow-ended bats. Most hollowings have a much bigger effect than corking because the manufacturer has removed way more material than is removed during the corking process.

The feel of a bat is a strange and wonderful thing. Ripping it’s heart out and stuffing it with dried bark is almost, uh … unnatural. It won’t push the ball out to the fence. It’s a natural frequency transfer of energy phenomenon. It’s science.

Then why the fuck do it? Make your hitting shittier? Thanks for the physics lesson.

LOL

BTW, if you’ve ever played baseball you would know that it isn’t so much as “muscling” the ball as it is finding the sweet spot on the bat and the ball. People that have used wooden bats no the pain of not doing this; I would assume a corked bat makes it more likely to find the sweet spot and allow the physics of finding these locations on the bat and the ball more likely, leading to greater distances. My best hits ever, for the greatest distances felt almost like I didn’t hit the ball and I wasn’t taking a mean cut at it; I found the perfect spot for both the bat and the ball.

Apparently, the league x-rayed the seventy-six bats they confiscated from Sosa, and they all came up negative. Whether or not I believe this is another topic entirely.

I think that people can be pretty naive about not only steroid usage, but also cheating, when it comes to professional sports. Steroids and/or cheating, like it or not, are a big part of the game.

I dont know if this went thru so Ill do it again.

Goldberg, you obviously misunderstood my post…no prob, so I’ll clarify for you big guy.

1.) I could give two shits about who’s taking steroids and what benfits it has for them. I’m sure if I was in the MLB I’d be on them too.

2.)The MLB does not care about players being on steroids. That is why they don’t test their players. Nobody would be playing! Its quite obvious that almost if not most of the entire league is on them. Hell, there was even a huge story about this back in Sports Illustrated a while back. Even Canseco and countless others have admitted to being on a shitload of roids, and that they were being passsed around the locker-room like candy.

3.)Yes I think somebody could gain 50 lbs over their lifting career, thats very probable and likely. But McGwire wasn’t lifting long enough to call it a “lifting career” and when people, average people started putting two and two together that’s when he held up that little bottle of Andro. Bullshit, andro was the cover-up for roids. If you can’t see that I can’t help you.

1. If you would have read my post better I was’t inferring that steroids gave McGwire and others their ability. They are all tremendous hitters. Period.
    But i find a few things ironic…

1a)The league was desparate for ratings, and losing money. Remember nobody was watching baseball? For 30 plus years the home run record stood. Then all of a sudden multiple people are hitting 60,70 hrs a year?

1b) The formulation of a MLB game-ball is top secret, and they will never divulge the information…why?

I think the league has changed the ball over the past few years to make it more favorable to hitters. Call me crazy, but thats my hunch.

In reality, it makes sense. More hrs more ratings, more money.

I’m not taking anything away from any hitters. They all have tremendous skill and talent

The problem I have is that when people try to pass off steroid use with Andro and the like. If one was tested for steroids they could just claim it was andro…Isn’t it funny that the NFL doesn’t allow any of it? roids or andro?

And another thing,

DocT,

obviously corking your bat gives some benfit because everyone wouldn’t be doing or talking about doing it, or it also wouldn’t be a big deal when one gets “caught” doing it.

Steve Coppola,

Very wel put.

To further summarize my previous points, I have no problem with what you do, just be forthright about it. Players, and the league included.

Goldberg. Correct f=m*a. But maybe a slight decrease in weight might allow a person to accelerate the bat enough to offset the weight decrease and possibly beyond. Hence more overall force. (I should do a calculation.) I however think that, that particular part is immaterial. The main advantage to a lighter bat is of course being able to move the bat faster…thus making it easier to hit pitches. I myself favour the lightest bat I can find. I connect with more pitches that way. Ciao. :slight_smile:

Many of the players cheat. That will NEVER change. No news there. Sammy was caught red-handed. Flat out busted! 6 game suspension and it’s over. Forget about it.

Red Sox rule!!!

Greekdawg, I was just posting something that somebody else wrote. It’s not my writing or my opinion on the matter.

Here’s my take on it. Like you guys care.

Sosa has broken bats before an no cork was found. Oh well they found a cork this time. Are we suprised that he cheated. I am one am not. But he could be telling the truth also. But I highly doubt it.

Here’s the thing once you get to a certin level and when lots of money becomes involved players cheat. Its sad but thats the facts of life. The bottom line is money.

Why don’t they expose the truth about steriods in the NFL, NBA, MLB or the Olympics? Its because of money!

Not, for nothing eventhough Bodybuilding and WWE wrestiling is laughed upon. But, at least we know that they tell us that the cheat and use illegal substance to get to where they are at.

Well thats my take on this

"Yes I think somebody could gain 50 lbs over their lifting career, thats very probable and likely. "

I personall gained 40 pounds the first year I was weight training. It is totally possible to get muscular without steroids.

I think this is a sad, sad story. This is going to be a black mark on his entire career, and an “asterisk” next to his home run tally. He really screwed himself up on this, and this kind of crap is obviously terrible for baseball in general. Too bad!

This is a pretty good thread.

Why do guys cork if it doesn’t actually work?
Why do players train like bodybuilders and not athletes?
Could it be because they aren’t that smart to beging with?
Could it be because an athlete that even THINKS he’s (or she) has an edge is more confident and sometimes that’s all they need?

As for all the bombs being hit now in baseball; is there anything more boring than watching a 8-7 major league game with 10 fucking pitching changes? This game used to be about srategy and fundementals. If I want to watch slow-pitch softball, I’ll get to the park early before my Monday night game starts.

The question of steriods is baseball is no different in any sport until you start coupling other factors. Does anybody care that football players are juiced to the gills? I doubt it, but when you talk about baseball tradition and gear, and smaller parks, and juiced balls, it suddenly makes every factor amplified because of the fact that baseball is about numbers and the records are probably cheapened to the average fan.

Goldberg,

I think Sosa would only cork his bat for better swing speed, or to help his timing with pitches. I think everyone knows he doesn’t need help in the power department… he seems to K a lot.

I agree with Irondaigo. I would much rather watch a superb pitching performance than a 12-11 slugfest. When i see a score that was 2-1 i automatically think, man that must have been a good game. But if i see 12-11 i dont think much about it.
When I used a lighter bat i found that my bat speed was out of control. When i switched to a bigger bat it was much easier for me to control my swing and hit more bombs. And im talking about a 1 or 2 ounce difference here, the same difference with a corked bat.
The guys that owned Sammy Sosa’s 498 bat cut it open and it was solid throughout. That must say something now that all of the other bats came back clean. They did it live too soo there was no discrepency.
If you take away all of the steroids, corked bats, juiced ball, etc, the best will still be the best so it is a moot point. What about the fact that today, guys that would linger in AAA for years now get a shot because of baseball expansion.
Do you ever hear about the stats of pitchers in the dead ball era being in place with an asterik?

Latest Sammy news:
My son told me this morning that the X-ray of the rest of Sammy’s bats turned out clean.
Could he have been telling the truth that he really did just use this bat for exhibitions and B.P.?
Could he have really been stupid enough to grab the wrong bat?

Thats a small perecentage the majority of people. The majority want to see bombs being blasted as much as possible. They want to see Barry and Sosa jack 2-3 a game. That’s what its all about now…

Goldberg,

Being a fan of Pitching games was great through the 90’s being a Braves fan. Maddux, Glavine, Smolts and Avery…

Myself, I also prefered a heavier bat when I played baseball. However, that heavier bat I believe was 32-33 oz… which is standard for MLB. I never got anywhere by playing though.

IMO I think Sosa was using the corked bat because he’s been in quite a slump lately. I think quite a few players are worrying about the “random” roid testing the league will throw up, and it might be messing with their confidence. So being in a slump, maybe he just figured he’d try to get out of it using a lighter bat, one he can swing quicker and maybe improve his timing. Who knows what he was thinking. But after using 33 oz bats I highly doubt he grabbed the 31 oz bat and had no clue about the change in weight.

I agree with Goldberg. I’d much rather see a game with 5 total runs or less. The only time I was ever interested in baseball was back in the early to mid nineties, and I always remember being excited about games ending 1-0, 2-1, etc. But that takes an attention span, so it was bound to be replaced by something more “fun”.