Congrats New Jersey

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

I want this world to be a safer and better place for everyone. Money used to keep them alive can be used for so many other things. I do not see it as revenge I see it as necessary. Why would you forgive or show compassion to a monster?
[/quote]

It is my belief that the killing of an innocent man by the state is a far more heinous crime than a killing by a common criminal-- if the reasons why aren’t self evident I can go into that. The prevention of the accidental execution-- or intentional railroading-- of innocents necessitates the extensive appeal process we have today.

This of course costs a damn fortune in legal fees which is why executing criminals is so much more expensive than keeping these people alive. Given that these people no longer pose a threat to society whether dead or in a supermax for life, that taking sufficient care not to kill innocents will make execution cost-ineffective, and that even still society may get the blood of innocents on its hands, I would expect some pretty powerful arguments would be needed to counterweigh these drawbacks successfully. All I see though is an argument that boils down to emotional satisfaction.

[quote]etaco wrote:
xXSeraphimXx wrote:

I want this world to be a safer and better place for everyone. Money used to keep them alive can be used for so many other things. I do not see it as revenge I see it as necessary. Why would you forgive or show compassion to a monster?

It is my belief that the killing of an innocent man by the state is a far more heinous crime than a killing by a common criminal-- if the reasons why aren’t self evident I can go into that. The prevention of the accidental execution-- or intentional railroading-- of innocents necessitates the extensive appeal process we have today. This of course costs a damn fortune in legal fees which is why executing criminals is so much more expensive than keeping these people alive. Given that these people no longer pose a threat to society whether dead or in a supermax for life, that taking sufficient care not to kill innocents will make execution cost-ineffective, and that even still society may get the blood of innocents on its hands, I would expect some pretty powerful arguments would be needed to counterweigh these drawbacks successfully. All I see though is an argument that boils down to emotional satisfaction.[/quote]

While I have no problem with the death penalty on moral grounds this sums up why it is not the most cost effective solution to the problem.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
lixy wrote:
Welcome to civilization!

Seriously? [/quote]

No, you dimwit! It’s a joke, and I’m confident FightingIrish understands it as such.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

Exactly how I feel.

The only criminal that should be put to death are those that are simply too dangerous to remain alive- i.e. Charles Manson or any other proven sociopathic serial killer, or war criminals, i.e. Hussein, Hitler, etc.

Besides being inhumane… I think that with everything else… too much of a chance of an innocent man put to death, which is a crime of unimaginable horror.[/quote]

It sounds to me like you are actually for the death penalty, but against its implemenation. Don’t worry these aren’t as contradictory as they seem.

I have no problem with the death penalty for convicted criminals as a deterrent. In principle, I would like to see it used more. Perhaps as a mandatory sentence for murder and even a possible sentence in rape cases, kidnap cases, or crimes against children.

The problem is that there is always the possibility of killing an innocent man. There are also all of the many lengthy appeals that go along with the death penalty, and the negative publicity. For these reasons, I would simply lock more people up for life, no chance of parole, unless the case is very clear cut, such as the ones you mentioned.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
Sloth wrote:
But, since we’re speaking about a US state, it’s “Welcome to civilization!” There’s plenty of people that disagree with my views on here. But, most of those, I feel, come from an honest and consistent point of view.

What’s your take Sloth? I’d be interested to hear it.

mike[/quote]

This is another tough issue that’s kind of heartbreaking. I imagine if one of my family members were killed. It would probably eat me up to know the killer, while behind bars, would be safe from my hands while the state refused to carry out my satisfaction.

Anyways, what did men do earlier in history, or even today in some regions of the world, where goverment was weak or nonexistent? Blood feuds, I suppose. I imagine one man’s family would seek ‘justice’ against the killer. And then the killer’s family would often turn around and avenge their kin. I suppose the true point of the Death Penalty is cut off a chain of retaliations within a civil society. The state ends the killer’s life and that’s that, go back to business as usual.

My Catholic tradition instructs that when a society is capable of incarcerating an individual, keeping society reasonably safe, it should show mercy. Of course we’re reasonably capable of keeping murderers behind bars, so the call for mercy is appropriate for this nation. Sorry for bringing up religion, but it’s an important part of my life. I try to combine belief with reason when I can.

My own reasoning tells me the death penalty should be avoided. We’ve all heard of cases where DNA, or some other form of evidence not availabe at trial, has freed a man serving time. There’s too many instances of innocent men being found guilty for me to grant that kind of power to the state.

We can set a man free again, if it is realized that an innocent man has been wrongly imprisoned. We can’t give back his lost time, nor take back any mental and physical hardships suffered, but we can give him the rest of his life back. Not so when an innocent man is executed by the state. There is no way to right that wrong. No “rest of his life” to give back.

Again, it’s a tough issue. I imagine the parents of a murdered daughter not having the ability to move on and find happiness, knowing a killer still breathes air, while their daughter has been reduced to a skeleton under 6 feet of dirt. It’s not an easy thing to think about.

But, ultimately for the reasons above, I’ve come to settle on the belief that society should move away from the Death Penatly. I’d leave it up to the states to decide, of course.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:
Sloth wrote:
But, since we’re speaking about a US state, it’s “Welcome to civilization!” There’s plenty of people that disagree with my views on here. But, most of those, I feel, come from an honest and consistent point of view.

What’s your take Sloth? I’d be interested to hear it.

mike

This is another tough issue that’s kind of heartbreaking. I imagine if one of my family members were killed. It would probably eat me up to know the killer, while behind bars, would be safe from my hands while the state refused to carry out my satisfaction.

Anyways, what did men do earlier in history, or even today in some regions of the world, where goverment was weak or nonexistent? Blood feuds, I suppose. I imagine one man’s family would seek ‘justice’ against the killer. And then the killer’s family would often turn around and avenge their kin. I suppose the true point of the Death Penalty is cut off a chain of retaliations within a civil society. The state ends the killer’s life and that’s that, go back to business as usual.

My Catholic tradition instructs that when a society is capable of incarcerating an individual, keeping society reasonably safe, it should show mercy. Of course we’re reasonably capable of keeping murderers behind bars, so the call for mercy is appropriate for this nation. Sorry for bringing up religion, but it’s an important part of my life. I try to combine belief with reason when I can.

My own reasoning tells me the death penalty should be avoided. We’ve all heard of cases where DNA, or some other form of evidence not availabe at trial, has freed a man serving time. There’s too many instances of innocent men being found guilty for me to grant that kind of power to the state.

We can set a man free again, if it is realized that an innocent man has been wrongly imprisoned. We can’t give back his lost time, nor take back any mental and physical hardships suffered, but we can give him the rest of his life back. Not so when an innocent man is executed by the state. There is no way to right that wrong. No “rest of his life” to give back.

Again, it’s a tough issue. I imagine the parents of a murdered daughter not having the ability to move on and find happiness, knowing a killer still breathes air, while their daughter has been reduced to a skeleton under 6 feet of dirt. It’s not an easy thing to think about.

But, ultimately for the reasons above, I’ve come to settle on the belief that society should move away from the Death Penatly. I’d leave it up to the states to decide, of course. [/quote]

You put it very well, I did not have the time to respond like you did.

While I am not steeped in Catholic tradition, the Pope’s views on this have had quite the effect on me on this particular issue.

I can only answer this honestly. If someone killed my wife or child, I would go to great lengths to kill them myself. There are few on this planet that hold vendettas like I do, and for that ultimate injustice, the ultimate price should be paid. But not by the state’s hand- by mine. And I would try my damndest. The problem with this, and this theory, is that you are so embroiled in the shit, so enamored of the fact that you could get blood for blood for a heinous crime against you, is that you lose sight of due process, and your thinking is skewed to a maximal degree. Hence, of course, why we have laws.

There is a humane side to me that cannot get over the fact that unless there was absolute DNA proof of the crime, there is a possibility that you are convicting the wrong man, and sending the wrong man to death. The crime of sending an innocent man to death is the worst crime that can be committed- stealing a man’s life, his family, his future, for a crime that he did not commit. There are too many instances of men being exonerated and freed after extended jail terms for me to say that there have not been many innocent men put to death over the last few hundred years.

The blood of innocents cannot be shed in retribution in crimes great or small. America cannot call it self any better than the Muslim countries who execute people if it continues this practice. As said previously, we are at the point where we can keep them behind bars forever, and let them die there… and mercy must be shown to these, for if we kill them, we are no better than they are. America wants to be a country that learns to take the high road… well, we can start right there.

Like I said, The Green Mile affected me greatly on this, as well as looking at the clock at midnight that one night and realizing that Stanley T. Williams’ life was being ended that night. Some of these guys can do more good being alive than dead.

I understand some will not agree with my examples, but the extinguishment of a life is far more serious than some internet discussion… and it’s always easier to say, “Ahh fuck him he deserved it.” That, my friends, is not the high road.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Welcome to civilization![/quote]

You wouldn’t know civilization if it kissed you on your fat ass.

Now go rape a little girl and tell her she deserved it.

Good men should have a part of themselves that is uncomfortable with state executions. I have wrestled with this for a long time myself.

With that said, New Jersey was wrong in an outright abolition of the death penalty. There are certainly cases where the most evil of men don’t deserve to breathe the same air that the rest of us do. If I started posting a list of some of the more horrific crimes I can think of, I just could not see how any one with a moral center could accept that those who committed them should be allowed to live.

I can’t imagine the place I would be in if my family member was a victim of these subhumans. How could we condemn a father who put a bullet in the head of someone who raped and murdered his child? If used properly, state execution removes the burden of vengeance from its citizens.

Should the death penalty be reformed ie…used only in cases of extreme criminal cruelty and where there is overwhelming evidence? Yes and then justice should be certain and swift. Taking it completely off the table is tremendous mistake, but an unsurprising one considering the despicable political body it came from.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Just a question why would you not want the death penalty? Does it not cost the state money to keep deathrow inmates alive?

I believe the country should eliminate all scum from prisons: child molesters, rapist, murderers why would you want these people alive?[/quote]

Absolutely. Once convicted, they should be lined up in front of a firing squad.

Screw appeals. Most of the scum are just milking the system.

My idea would be to ask the family, for example, of some little child who gets raped and buried alive — “Should we shoot this POS, or let him live?”

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
It comes down to the fact that an execution is murder, like it or not. It seems barbaric to kill a defenseless man.

mike [/quote]

Tell that to the family of Jessica Lunsford — a child raped and then buried alive inside a couple of garbage bags, while she clutched her little toy dolphin.

‘Barbaric’ to kill the creature that did that? Nope.

I’d happily turn a flame thrower on that guy: ‘Dance, you motherfucker, fuckin’ dance!!!’

Just one example…

New Jersey spared this guy today:

Aren’t we civilized?

Honestly I don’t like the idea of putting people to death and I don’t feel that it is much of a deterrent. I’m glad NJ got rid of it but, I feel that some don’t deserve to live. I’m on the fence about it. I do wish New Jersey would make it easier to get a ccr though.

In general people have become squeamish about dealing with death and administering justice to the worst offenders. It’s normal and it is the civilized response of good people.

FI makes a valid point that if someone were to kill someone he loves he would seek vengance on his own and not leave that responsibility to the state. He is young and healthy and is certainly able to take a life if need be. Society is also filled with those not as fortunate such as children, the frail and the elederly. Who is to avenge them and seek justice on their behalf?

Most of us live a comfortable and ordered life and rightly fear death. Many also have kind hearts and seek to offer mercy, even if it is not justified. The predators among us live by a different code. Lives are taken over nominal sums of money or perceieved slights and acts of disrespect. Others kill for an idealogy or the misguided teachings of a religion. These types of people have no respect of your human right to live. They will not be rehabilitated and will not benefit from your mercy. God will judge them and it is the State’s responsibility to make sure that meeting happens. It’s more of a justified homicide then a murder.

It’s the fear and certainty of death that gives a killer pause. Meeting deadly intent with deadly force however is being bred out of society, the predator realizes this. Mercy should be earned and granted in exceptional cases. It shouldn’t be the default judgement.

[quote]hedo wrote:

Most of us live a comfortable and ordered life and rightly fear death. Many also have kind hearts and seek to offer mercy, even if it is not justified. The predators among us live by a different code. Lives are taken over nominal sums of money or perceieved slights and acts of disrespect. Others kill for an idealogy or the misguided teachings of a religion. These types of people have no respect of your human right to live. They will not be rehabilitated and will not benefit from your mercy. God will judge them and it is the State’s responsibility to make sure that meeting happens. It’s more of a justified homicide then a murder.

[/quote]

Powerful points, Hedo, thank you for sharing. I tend to agree with everything that you wrote, right up until the highlighted portion above. I do NOT think it is the State’s place to “make sure that meeting happens”, rather I believe it is the responsibility of the State simply to make sure that the rest of it’s citizens are safe from the monster in question. Every killer will die eventually. If it is today or in twenty years shouldn’t really matter as long as they are not allowed to kill (rape, whatever) again.

On the other hand, I don’t really think the current method of warehousing offenders is really all that effective, and I wonder if there isn’t some way to take the worst out of circulation while simultaneously making them take care of themselves(i.e. not at the taxpayers expense). In my head it plays out somewhat like the Australia “Prison Island” or perhaps O’Reilly’s “Alaskan Work Camp”, but I don’t know if such things are feasible.

[quote]hedo wrote:
God will judge them and it is the State’s responsibility to make sure that meeting happens. [/quote]

I’m pretty sure that, with the exception maybe of the highlander, this will generally happen anyway. If Christopher Lambert ever kills his wife maybe then we can justify the guillotine as an exception.

[quote]JD430 wrote:
Just one example…

New Jersey spared this guy today:

Aren’t we civilized?[/quote]

This would be the type of cut and dry case where he should be put to death with no more questions asked. He actually should have been locked up for life after the first conviction.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:
It comes down to the fact that an execution is murder, like it or not. It seems barbaric to kill a defenseless man.

mike

Tell that to the family of Jessica Lunsford — a child raped and then buried alive inside a couple of garbage bags, while she clutched her little toy dolphin.

I’d happily turn a flame thrower on that guy: ‘Dance, you motherfucker, fuckin’ dance!!!’

[/quote]

Would you rather he die quickly? Or would you rather him live off his days in a tiny little cell, never getting to talk to any one, eating shitty food, just waiting for death?

I like option number two. Maybe I’m just a sadist though…

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:

mike

Would you rather he die quickly? Or would you rather him live off his days in a tiny little cell, never getting to talk to any one, eating shitty food, just waiting for death?

I like option number two. Maybe I’m just a sadist though…[/quote]

The trouble is that some gov’t passes a new law that decides that his punishment is ‘cruel and unusual’. He gets paroled and gets to live next door to you, your wife and 9 year old daughter. Will you bring him a ‘Welcome to the Neighborhood’ cake?

[quote]JD430 wrote:
I can’t imagine the place I would be in if my family member was a victim of these subhumans. How could we condemn a father who put a bullet in the head of someone who raped and murdered his child? If used properly, state execution removes the burden of vengeance from its citizens.[/quote]

So let’s not condemn that father as jurors. If my wife were murdered and the state executed him I would get no satisfaction. Let me go and string the fucker up. That would feel a wee bit better. Wouldn’t that be something? If we put a symbolic death sentence down and if a family member murdered him they would get off for it. Just an idea, but I might have something to work with here.

mike

How about life sentences with an option for assisted suicide?