Confusion About Carbs

in 7 habits of… by Berardi, one of this is, don’t eat carbs that don’t come from fruits or veggies except post-workout… so no oatmeal for breakfast, for example?

[quote]russianmuscle wrote:
in 7 habits of… by Berardi, one of this is, don’t eat carbs that don’t come from fruits or veggies except post-workout… so no oatmeal for breakfast, for example?[/quote]

That’s a lot of bullshit. Eat oatmeal or similar carbs in the AM, when you’re body is more capable of tolerating the carbs, and pre/post workout. I’d stay off of them from the time after your post-post workout meal, but that’s my preference.

Like they say, “carbs are a tricky bastard,” so learn to deal with them based on how your body reacts.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
russianmuscle wrote:
in 7 habits of… by Berardi, one of this is, don’t eat carbs that don’t come from fruits or veggies except post-workout… so no oatmeal for breakfast, for example?

That’s a lot of bullshit. Eat oatmeal or similar carbs in the AM, when you’re body is more capable of tolerating the carbs, and pre/post workout. I’d stay off of them from the time after your post-post workout meal, but that’s my preference.

Like they say, “carbs are a tricky bastard,” so learn to deal with them based on how your body reacts.[/quote]

This also depends on what your short term goals are. If you are trying to gain muscle, being that worried about not eating carbs that aren’t fruit makes no sense at all.

Your current physical state is also a factor. If some bodybuilder is dieting yet weighs over 260lbs, they probably need more carbs throughout the day than someone under 180lbs. Avoiding oatmeal when dieting all because one author wrote a passage in an article is crazy.

Berardi’s 7 habits are built for those to build a clear understanding of how to optimally get to their body comp goals. for example, for one to try to lose weight he says the best time for those to incorporate starchy carbs into one diet in after workout.

then agin he also clealy points out that its all highly individual. for example if you are trying to gain mass and are carb sensitive then go ahead and eat oatmeal are such outside workout times.

nutrition is all highly individual so experiment on yourself, see how you handle it, and continue or discontinue.