Confusing Physio Diagnosis

Hi guys

My first post here although I have used alot of the threads previously to assist me with training, diet etc

This post is just for an opinion of others in case I’m barking up the wrong tree.

I have suffered with a right shoulder problem for around 18 months now on and off. More recently it had been very painful. It is a bicep tendon injury from what I’ve read and I’ve done all I can to sort it, to no avail. I finally went to see a physio last week.

He did a quick assessment, said it was a bicep tendon and it was caused by excessive kyphosis and ultimately it would just need managing through posture realignment. Now I’m not an expert so hoping others may be able to assist. I have read about kyphosis and ‘excess’ curvature of the thoracic and cervical spine. I do not see it on my at all. Is this guy highlighting the wrong thing? Would you get a second opinion? Would you think there was a kyphosis problem here as I just dont see it?

I understand the process is to get an experts opinion and I have done so please dont take this as me completely thinking this guy doesnt know his job, im asking as I do not see this problem? Would it be worth a second opinion?

Sorry if I come across as completely clueless ? in the main I am not, I have just always stayed away from doctors, physios etc maybe I dont like bad news and it’s some kind of phobia ?

I went in with a sore shoulder and came out thinking I was a hunchback!

In those pictures are you standing relaxed like you normally would? Or are you trying to stand straight, like Marine in front of his drill instructor?

It kinda looks like you’re actively extending your lower back and puffing your chest out, which is exactly what someone with an excessively rounded upper back and slumped shoulders would do Instead of pinching their shoulders back and standing straight.

If there is an issue with your posture (and your shoulder position) it’s totally understandable that you there would be more tension on your bicep tendon when it’s trying to pick up the slack for your upper back.

So I don’t think your Doc is a quack or anything. I don’t think he’s giving your bad advice or unreliable info. Did he give you any good advice for how to fix things?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve always stood like that since being a child, my chest has always been held kind of high and puffed out, its just the way I’ve always stood.

I’ve never had my posture assessed until this came up as I’ve been lucky enough to not really have any problems previously.

To be honest I’d never really looked at kyphosis until he mentioned it and then pictures I see dont really look like I do. I can take more pictures from different angles etc

He advised some thoracic work, to loosen it up. Advised me to do them for the next 10 days or so and then go for my second visit. That’s about as far as we got

1 Like

Wouldn’t hurt to try these.

1 Like

Maybe try a picture from the front, try and get your whole arm in the shot, so we can see your hands too.

And do check out that curl video. All the stuff that dude talks about starting around 1:20 extending your shoulders behind you and externally rotating your shoulders to turn your palms up are the things you’ll work on to straighten yourself up.