Confused with Injection Frequency, and Low SHBG?

After surfing through so many posts, I can’t seem to find a logical explanation for higher frequency for low SHBG.
my SHBG is around 15. I understand, Low SHBG means, that whatever testosterone that comes into the body majority is free to be used by the body. So what I need to do is to ensure that I take lower dosage of testosterone as opposed to someone with higher SHBG.
My questions is, the ester that’s attached to the testosterone determine the clearance rate of testosterone and not the SHBG. am I right here?
SHBG only determines how much will be available to the body to use but not how fast it’ll be made available. this is decided by the half life of ester being used. Irrespective of someone’s SHBG level, Test Cyp or Test enant are going to stick to their half life so low shbg guys should only think about taking a lower dose depending on the half life of the ester being used instead of worrying about the frequency i.e taking daily? or practically it doesn’t work this way? Please help clarify.

Pretty much.

Yes.

There is a tendency to overthink this, especially for those overly focused on numbers and the never ending quest to “dial in”.

In general, SHBG is good to know because those with higher SHBG are more likely to need a higher testosterone dose in order to get free testosterone where they need to be to feel good. In that situation, it’s usually better to start higher than you might if you have low SHBG. Still, some with low SHBG do not feel as good with low dosing and will need more, and vice versa. There are individual differences. Two guys, same dose, similar total test levels, similar SHBG levels, yet they have significantly different free test levels. Two different guys, same dose, with significantly different total test levels, but similar SHBG and free test levels.

You can drive your self crazy with this. Ultimately, if you are not happy with your results, try something else. Good luck, hope this helps.

3 Likes

thanks much. I had run a cycle about a year back of about 140mg a week ( twice/week injection subQ) and ended up having all the negative effects of TRT despite my total T reaching just 630. My Free T had gone to 75 ( scale of 1 - 28), three times the upper limit. So giving a 2nd run, this time with 50mg per week. will update how it went in the new thread. Appreciate help clarifying this.

1 Like

My SHBG was low at the start of TRT and is no longer low, but I still feel my best dosing oral T twice daily. It was no different with injections (daily) and has nothing to do with my SHBG level.

The negative effects may have more to do with SQ injection. I felt horrible on SQ and not on IM.

1 Like

Partly. SHBG is storage and transport. It hunts down FT and holds onto it, which means more test held in serum. SHBG cant’ have any action until the test has been separated from the ester tho. So they are kinda two stages of “clearance”. The oil depot starts sending test+ester into the blood, it takes time to break that down to just test, and then SHBG finds it and attaches, also keeping it in serum for longer.

I have seen only one study that showed the faster metabolism of testosterone by lowering SHBG. In my own experience you can be more efficient with your testosterone doses by taking less, more often, with low SHBG. Certainly not required. I’d suggest experimenting a bit yourself and see how it goes