Confused on Training Methods

Many people have given me odd answers and not straight answers because of this.

Higher weight a lower reps = Increase in strength and muscle size is a side effect?

Lower weights and higher reps = For more bulking and strength is just a side effect?

Can anyone clear this age old question for me?

Is there a method or program I can do that involves getting the full benefits of these two methods, if so where?

Thanks

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1764218

Read the stickies

This is all you need to know:

Thanks for the info guys

Please read the articles on this site, especially the stickies.

1-6 reps = Strength
8-12 = Hypertrophy
12-20 = Muscular Endurance

There is no such thing as either one really being a “side effect”.

Hypertrophy = muscles forced to become stronger in an environment of abundant nutrients and enough calories to gain weight.

JUST strength = the same thing except you don’t eat enough to gain weight

1RM strength = increasing neuromuscular efficiency and manipulating technique and leverage to lift more weight… obviously gaining weight and building muscle will have a more dramatic effect on your ability to increase this.

The whole “1-6=strength, 8-12=hypertrophy…” thing is really misleading in my opinion and doesn’t properly represent what you actually need to be doing in the gym. It is overly-simplified and unless you understand the fundamental principle that gaining strength is the most important factor in gaining muscle, you aren’t going to make good sense of a thing like that.

[quote]Zagman wrote:

1-6 reps = Strength
8-12 = Hypertrophy
12-20 = Muscular Endurance[/quote]

I don’t believe training endurance with reps is useful at all that should be done with rest between sets.

If your going for endurance you take short rests.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
Zagman wrote:

1-6 reps = Strength
8-12 = Hypertrophy

I don’t believe training endurance with reps is useful at all that should be done with rest between sets.

[/quote]

That is fine, there is what you believe and what research tell us is true.

i think 6-8 is the best way to go all around, its low enough so you can use a bit of a heavier weight, but high enough so that youre gonna get size improvements also.

[quote]Zagman wrote:

1-6 reps = Strength
8-12 = Hypertrophy
12-20 = Muscular Endurance[/quote]

BULLSHIT

[quote]StephenD wrote:
Zagman wrote:

1-6 reps = Strength
8-12 = Hypertrophy

BULLSHIT
[/quote]

Uh, that would actually be Rightshit. Look it up, enough research has been done on this very subject…

[quote]mudpro69 wrote:
StephenD wrote:
Zagman wrote:

1-6 reps = Strength
8-12 = Hypertrophy

BULLSHIT

Uh, that would actually be Rightshit. Look it up, enough research has been done on this very subject…[/quote]

too bad it totally depends on the muscle fiber makeup of a particular muscle.

bullshit.

It differs somewhat for every person and exercise, for example for compound upper body exercises like the bench press or weighted chin-up I get the most size gains around 5-6 reps per set and the best strength gains at 2-4 reps, anything higher than 8 is just wasting my time. Other exercises like one arm dumbbell rows 8-15 reps works the best for me. Play around and see what works best for you, also keep in mind that what works best for you now probably won’t work the best in a few months

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
mudpro69 wrote:
StephenD wrote:
Zagman wrote:

1-6 reps = Strength
8-12 = Hypertrophy

BULLSHIT

Uh, that would actually be Rightshit. Look it up, enough research has been done on this very subject…

bullshit.[/quote]

Taken in the context of the original question you get “Not Bullshit”. Yes muscles have different muscle fiber distributions, and yes distributions differ between individuals even among the same muscle groups, but in general it works and works rather well for an individual asking the original question.

It is bullshit because it is overly simplified. It is information that a newbie really just can’t apply…

It is like someone asking “what kind of diet should i eat in order to gain muscle?”

And someone responds “Lots of protein, good carbs, and good fats”

Someone that ALREADY KNOWS WHAT THEY’RE DOING would be able to see that type of response and formulate a plan in their head. A newbie would just have to ask a million more questions.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i think 6-8 is the best way to go all around, its low enough so you can use a bit of a heavier weight, but high enough so that youre gonna get size improvements also.[/quote]

That I can definately agree with, occassionally for maybe 8-12 weeks or so I’d do some strength lifts then when I hit 8-12 weeks I go back to hypertrophy and I can lift heavier for my desginated reps. [ 6-8]

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
mudpro69 wrote:
StephenD wrote:
Zagman wrote:

1-6 reps = Strength
8-12 = Hypertrophy

BULLSHIT

bullshit.[/quote]

Bullseye

6-8 has worked great for me in the past. Ive been working with 5 rep sets the past few months though and have made great gains with that too.

[quote]Zagman wrote:
Westclock wrote:
Zagman wrote:

1-6 reps = Strength
8-12 = Hypertrophy

That is fine, there is what you believe and what research tell us is true.[/quote]

Your quite the little bitch aren’t you ?

Cant stand people that are kinesiology majors, they just spout random bullshit they have read in books and try to advise others.

But they completely lack any real world results or experience.

To the OP, it’s an age old question that defies a simple answer you seek. Most age old questions are like that. That is why they’re age old questions.