Confused on the Snatch Grip High Pull Technique

So I have tried the SGHP and its great and I love it so far. However, I have visited many technique vids from several people online and notice each one is shown differently. I see some not hang down and load the hips back for the next rep, i see some who pull their elbows up high and pull which looks like some internal rotation, I seen some who keep the snatch grip and have a slight bent at the elbows and pull while maintaining the wide grip without the internal rotation on the pull, and the last one is i see some do the high pull and then row it towards their body at the top.

So which is it guys? I need some help on the correct execution from top to bottom. I have refeered to many articles and vids on the site about the technique but it still draws confusion. Help me out here.
Does it need to be pulled to the neck or what lower pecs? I need some clarification on this.

Thanks

[quote]shiz wrote:
So I have tried the SGHP and its great and I love it so far. However, I have visited many technique vids from several people online and notice each one is shown differently. I see some not hang down and load the hips back for the next rep, i see some who pull their elbows up high and pull which looks like some internal rotation, I seen some who keep the snatch grip and have a slight bent at the elbows and pull while maintaining the wide grip without the internal rotation on the pull, and the last one is i see some do the high pull and then row it towards their body at the top.

So which is it guys? I need some help on the correct execution from top to bottom. I have refeered to many articles and vids on the site about the technique but it still draws confusion. Help me out here.
Does it need to be pulled to the neck or what lower pecs? I need some clarification on this.

Thanks[/quote]

In Olympic weightlifting there are several types of pulls. You have the traditional high pull in which you pull up high, finishing up with the body fully extended, the elbows high. This was the common technique in the 60s, 70s and 80s. It is rarely used by lifters now because it isn’t in line with the modern snatch technique: this from of high pull teaches you to pull as high as possible, keeping the elbow high and extending as much as possible whereas in the modern snatch technique lifters are taught to move down as soon as they exploded upwards and they pull with the elbows back (almost trying to go THROUGH their chest). So the traditional high pull would have them practice the wrong pattern. This is why you will see many different types of high pulls… for example the Chinese actually go down as soon as they did the explosion in the pull to mimick the structure of the snatch.

NOW keep in mind that you are using high pulls TO BUILD MUSCLE not to improve your Olympic lifting. There is a difference between both goals. If you want to use the high pull to build muscle, the classic (full extension, elbows high) high pull is the best option. To improve your full snatch it isn’t.

Hello Christian,

I would be very interested to see you demonstrate both techniques (the traditional high pull and the modern high pull) in a video. Your explanations and videos are very thorough and informative and I think many would benefit from a video like this.

Thank you!
Chris

The way I perform mine is a wide snatch grip technique and pull to my mid chest, elbows fixed and extended out and the gap between the bar and myself are close. So if you were to see me pull the elbows look as if I am performing a wide medial delt fly but instead the elbows are fixed on the bar as I pull with the elbows slightly pointing up. I just noticed that some lifter pull and kind of look like its a row as they pull to the top.

For me I stay tight, big chest, traps and sholder blades pulled back and pinched and as I pull it may look like a row at the top but I am in fact not because it appears like that because my chest is sticking out and traps and blads are pinched for upper back tightness. Does this sound right and effective for muscle growth? Im not an OL, I am just one who is looking to produce more muscle through various exercises