Confused on Diet & Workout Plan

I’ve been training for a little less than a year now.
i started off doing random exercises in the gym that got me nowhere, then got on Rippetoe’s which got me started, and now i’m doing WS4SB. but i’m getting very confused as to the direction im heading in.

Starting weight: about 140, NOW: about 150
Height: 5’9

Lifts: 1 rep max:
Squat:245
Bench:175
Deadlift:235

I know most of you will say i need to bulk more, and I know i definitely do, but it still seems like I have a pretty high body fat percentage. I don’t really want to cut because I’m only 150 pounds,which I don’t understand.but i also dont want to keep bulking if i’m getting even more body fat.

Should i focus more on bulking or cutting?
I’m thinking of starting Thib’s HSS-100 Specializations for the next 10 weeks. Is that a good program for someone of my experience? And what about my diet?

NEXT WORKOUT PLAN? either…
HSS-100 Specializations by Thib
Superhero Workout by Thib

Anything else suggested?? i need one soon!

[quote]seaside wrote:
I’ve been training for a little less than a year now.
i started off doing random exercises in the gym that got me nowhere, then got on Rippetoe’s which got me started, and now i’m doing WS4SB. but i’m getting very confused as to the direction im heading in.

Starting weight: about 140, NOW: about 150
Height: 5’9

Lifts: 1 rep max:
Squat:245
Bench:175
Deadlift:235

I know most of you will say i need to bulk more, and I know i definitely do, but it still seems like I have a pretty high body fat percentage. I don’t really want to cut because I’m only 150 pounds,which I don’t understand.but i also dont want to keep bulking if i’m getting even more body fat.

Should i focus more on bulking or cutting?
I’m thinking of starting Thib’s HSS-100 Specializations for the next 10 weeks. Is that a good program for someone of my experience? And what about my diet?

HELP![/quote]

Hey man keep BULKING! i actually did a cut when i weighed around 145 as well. stupid idea. i got ripped but was small. didnt look impressive at all. And i personally wouldnt do a specialization program at your level. You dont need to specialize in a specific bodypart u need mass all over. check out some Chad Waterbury’s program they worked very well for me or any other full body training program that has the good ole lifts bench, squat, deadlift etc… diet=eat ALOT try to eat alot fo protein. try to get a good nights rest every night. Good luck!

Yeah, keep bulking for sure. I’m 5’10" 170lbs and I know I need to keep bulking as well.

Keep working on the mass, 150 @ 5’9" likely isn’t that much fat.

Do complex lifts. Stay the hell away from isolations. Do lifts that use the highest percentage of your body mass, as these will build mass and make you bust ass (causing you to lose fat even when bulking, as long as you EAT CLEAN).

For some programs, check out Waterbury’s book Muscle Revolution or consult the “Are You A Beginner II” thread.

[quote]Hugo82 wrote:
Stay the hell away from isolations.

.[/quote]

You see, this is what bothers me. Why the hell should he stay the hell away from isolations? True, he should focus on the big compounds and getting stronger at them, but why should he avoid iso’s altogether. I think in the long run its good to incorporate iso’s to develop a good mind-muscle connection. As long as he’s not FOCUSING on the iso’s, he’s good. You make it sound like adding iso’s would make him smaller. Including a few sets for bi’s, tri’s, calves etc at the end of a workout full of compounds (considering he has time left over) wont hurt his gains.

I’m wondering why he switched programs. If Rippetoe’s was working, why not stick with it. As for the bodyfat issue, that could be that he is eating more calories than he needs. Dropping a few, while sticking to ONE program may be the ticket.

Don’t just jump from program to program.

Isos aren’t bad. They have their place in any program as accessory lifts.

[quote]Arioch wrote:
I’m wondering why he switched programs. If Rippetoe’s was working, why not stick with it. As for the bodyfat issue, that could be that he is eating more calories than he needs. Dropping a few, while sticking to ONE program may be the ticket.

Don’t just jump from program to program.

Isos aren’t bad. They have their place in any program as accessory lifts.[/quote]

im taking about 2500 calories. probably even less. i dont think ive been making as much gains because i havent been eating properly but i’m starting to again.

i stopped rippetoe because 1. i wanted to focus more on size, and 2. it was getting boring for me and i found myself not really trying hard anymore.

westside hasnt really been what ive been looking for because there’s way too much variation. that’s why im thinking of thib’s hss100 programs? what do you think?

[quote]forbes wrote:
Hugo82 wrote:
Stay the hell away from isolations.

You see, this is what bothers me. Why the hell should he stay the hell away from isolations? True, he should focus on the big compounds and getting stronger at them, but why should he avoid iso’s altogether. I think in the long run its good to incorporate iso’s to develop a good mind-muscle connection. As long as he’s not FOCUSING on the iso’s, he’s good. You make it sound like adding iso’s would make him smaller. Including a few sets for bi’s, tri’s, calves etc at the end of a workout full of compounds (considering he has time left over) wont hurt his gains. [/quote]

Agree. And for god’s sake, don’t buy into this nonsense about not directly training your arms.

Also, if you weigh 150 lbs, do not reduce your calories. It will be a mistake.