T Nation

Confused from Science of Steroids Video

So recently I watched this video on youtube called Science of Steroids, and what was interesting was when it said that during intense weight training natural testosterone levels (without having taken any steroids or any kinds of performance-enhancing drugs whatsoever) drop precipitously sometimes to that of a castrated man.

This confuses me, because from what I understood before was that intense weight training does the opposite, in that testosterone levels do increase during and right after the exercise session. Which is true?

cortisol goes up during training, which decreases testosterone.

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
So recently I watched this video on youtube called Science of Steroids, and what was interesting was when it said that during intense weight training natural testosterone levels (without having taken any steroids or any kinds of performance-enhancing drugs whatsoever) drop precipitously sometimes to that of a castrated man. This confuses me, because from what I understood before was that intense weight training does the opposite, in that testosterone levels do increase during and right after the exercise session. Which is true?[/quote]

Transient, inconsequential fluctuations in hormones from training are just that: transient and inconsequential!

If you want to know the truth, get a physiology textbook or read the many studies by Drs. William Kramer and Steven Fleck who for some reason enjoy publishing studies on this meaningless subject.

Don’t worry about it. Although I guess if your goals are strictly bodybuilding, you might look into the whole “train for no more than an hour” rule.

[quote]NoAir_DontCare wrote:
Don’t worry about it. Although I guess if your goals are strictly bodybuilding, you might look into the whole “train for no more than an hour” rule.
[/quote]

The “train for no more than an hour” rule is bunk. Many of my better workouts have been over an hour. Have you ever been to a powerlifting gym? You’ll see two to three hour workouts!

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]NoAir_DontCare wrote:
[/quote]

The “train for no more than an hour” rule is bunk. Many of my better workouts have been over an hour. Have you ever been to a powerlifting gym? You’ll see two to three hour workouts![/quote]

Agreed. Do not base your training on half understood partial info about hormones unless you have a degree in it. Worrying about the drop in testosterone directly after training is missing the point…that your gains do not rely on how much testosterone is freely floating in your blood at any one specific time. Your body is a machine built on negative feedback loops which means it is constantly in flux trying to maintain homeostasis.