Confused Cardio

Theres a chart at my club that says best fatburn is at 60Q% heart rate thing, you know what I mean. I have been doing a stationary bike because my knees are too messed up to run. I have been keeping my heart rate around 165-170 which according to the chart is about 80% for my age and more of a cardio instead of fat burn. My intentions are fat burn, so should I alter my work to lower my heart rate and burn more fat? Or does a higher intensity burn fat and work on cardio? Im so confused.

Thanks.

[quote]slickid wrote:
Theres a chart at my club that says best fatburn is at 60Q% heart rate thing, you know what I mean. I have been doing a stationary bike because my knees are too messed up to run. I have been keeping my heart rate around 165-170 which according to the chart is about 80% for my age and more of a cardio instead of fat burn. My intentions are fat burn, so should I alter my work to lower my heart rate and burn more fat? Or does a higher intensity burn fat and work on cardio? Im so confused.

The most important thing about fat burn is the total consumption over 24 hours. NOT how much is burned during the workout. At low intensity, fat as fuel is greater but your metabolism will soon be back to normal. Exercising at high intensity will burn little fat for fuel but will raise your metabolism after you stop exercising for the remaining 24 hours.
The total fat burned is what is important.

Do a google search for the following names: Tremblay, Izumi Tabata, and Giballa. They did the research.
[/quote]
TNT

Thanks.

Search online (or here) for “interval training” or “HIIT” and read up. An excellent article on here that I alwasy remember by name iscalled “the Running Man” - it discusses this too.

There are thousands of similar, excellent articles on the web that will all tell you the same thing: the greater the workout intensity, the greater the fat-burning and muscle preserving/building effects.

Happy New Year!

WiZ

These should help

Cardio Roundatble I&II
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461325
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461524