T Nation

Confused About Protein/Carbs PWO

im still a little confused after reading PWO nutrition articles. so you want protein and carbs after a workout? why do people not like too much carbs in a PWO drink? for example, if you are making a PWO shake, and you add protein powder to water…dont you want to add carbs too? if you added it to water, where would the carbs come from?

and wats the difference between a protein and something like cytogainer, which has a bunch of other stuff in it like creatine, and alot of carbs too. would you recommend cytogainer, or other stuff along the lines of it? whats a similar product?

so confused lol…

This is actually very simple. PWO, A mixture of carbs and proteins are ideal (usually a carb/protein ratio of 2:1, sometimes higher). Im not sure what you mean by “why do people not like too much carbs in a PWO drink”.

Carbs will be broken down and absorbed as sugar (glucose). This sugar will then enter your bloodstream and your pancreas will send insulin to remove it. The sugar that is removed will be stored in your muscle as glycogen (muscle energy). When you ingest your carbs with protein, this insulin spike will also remove the amino acids from the protein and shuttle it to your muscles.

If a person adds a whey protein powder into water there usually isn’t any significant amount of carbs, however you can then manually add dextrose or maltodextrin (carbs, which can be bought at health food stores) into your shake.

Too make things even easier, you can buy Surge (which is sold here in the store) which is a 2:1 carb/protein shake used for PWO recovery. If you ask around here, Surge comes highly recommended. Im not familiar with cytogainer, but it sounds like a weight gainer, which is usually crammed with WAY too many calories and sugars for one serving. Hope that cleared things up.

^ Great post.

Yu… that there sums up Post workout nutrition perfectly

Check the ingrediet list and nutriton label of Cytogainer. If the ingredeient list is protein, dextrose and/or matlodextrin…you’re good. But if there’s alot of fat in it, I would go with something else like Surge, or make your own (very easy and a whole lot cheaper).

[quote]elusive wrote:
This is actually very simple. PWO, A mixture of carbs and proteins are ideal (usually a carb/protein ratio of 2:1, sometimes higher). Im not sure what you mean by “why do people not like too much carbs in a PWO drink”.

Carbs will be broken down and absorbed as sugar (glucose). This sugar will then enter your bloodstream and your pancreas will send insulin to remove it. The sugar that is removed will be stored in your muscle as glycogen (muscle energy). When you ingest your carbs with protein, this insulin spike will also remove the amino acids from the protein and shuttle it to your muscles.

If a person adds a whey protein powder into water there usually isn’t any significant amount of carbs, however you can then manually add dextrose or maltodextrin (carbs, which can be bought at health food stores) into your shake.

Too make things even easier, you can buy Surge (which is sold here in the store) which is a 2:1 carb/protein shake used for PWO recovery. If you ask around here, Surge comes highly recommended. Im not familiar with cytogainer, but it sounds like a weight gainer, which is usually crammed with WAY too many calories and sugars for one serving. Hope that cleared things up. [/quote]

is there any creatine in Surge? is it still possible to take a creatine mix like anabolic halo which has more carbs in it also?

why not just buy creatine monohydrate at the store here for $13. I can’t recommend Surge enough. I’ve never used anabolic halo, but that company likes hyping their products with lots of fancy words and pseudo-science.

[quote]elusive wrote:
why not just buy creatine monohydrate at the store here for $13. I can’t recommend Surge enough. I’ve never used anabolic halo, but that company likes hyping their products with lots of fancy words and pseudo-science.[/quote]

yeah i plan on doing that. but if i get Surge, can i take the Biotest creatine mono with it? if so, how do you take it, meaning how many times a day, when to take it, etc.

This isn’t that complex. You can eat anything after a workout. It’s not like there’s some magic recipe or combination you have to use or should avoid. If you want to add some creatine product to Surge and it’s got some more carbs in it, it’ll work just fine.

Haven’t you guys ever eaten an entire pizza or gone to an all you can eat buffet after training, or is that just me? It never seems to have crippled me.

Just add 5-10grms into your Surge, you wont even taste it.

[quote]elusive wrote:

Too make things even easier, you can buy Surge (which is sold here in the store) which is a 2:1 carb/protein shake used for PWO recovery. If you ask around here, Surge comes highly recommended. Im not familiar with cytogainer, but it sounds like a weight gainer, which is usually crammed with WAY too many calories and sugars for one serving. Hope that cleared things up. [/quote]

Good post. I’ll also add that having glucose added to an electrolyte drink will enhance the absorption of the electrolytes (the ones lost in a workout) via those Sodium-glucose pumps in the small intestine. :wink: