Confused About GI Scale

This morning for breakfast I had a peach, a small ammount of oatmeal (probably instant, no flavoring) and one hard boiled egg. Then about a hour and a half later I suddenly felt totally exhausted. It was like a blood sugar thing, but that makes no sene because I think my bfast was all low GI, and probabaly didn’t create any kind of insulin spike…

OK seciond question… someone on this site made a comment about how whole milk causes insulin to spike, but then I found a chart with low GI foods that listed whole milk.

I am obviously no chemist. These concepts are relatively new to me. I know there’s something important I am missing here. Any one care to take a stab?

Im not an expert either, maybe Barr can chime in. However, its my understanding that milk is a low on the GI index, but VERY insulinogentic. I don’t really know anymore, sorry. lol.

I am far from sciency but from what I remember, and I forget where I read it, but I beleive it has something to do with the lactate (sp?) in the milk. So even though on the GI scale its low, on the II (Insulin Index I beleive) scale, it is very high. But other dairy product like cheese don’t have the same insulin response.

The GI is fairly accurate most of the time but it measures a precursor or a chemical that happens alongside a insulin spike usually. Whereas the II measures the actual insulin response, so even tho milk doesnt get a high score on the GI it does spike insulin.

I’m sure someone much more knowledgeable than me can get into the gritty science of it a LOT better than me, but thats what I recall.

well thanks for the reply anyhow, gents. I hope I don’t have some messed up blood sugar problem

[quote]force of one wrote:
a peach, a small ammount of oatmeal (probably instant, no flavoring) and one hard boiled egg[/quote]

That’s a tiny breakfast.

It’s likely that you just didn’t eat enough. Instead of overcomplicating things, why not just try eating more?

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
force of one wrote:
a peach, a small ammount of oatmeal (probably instant, no flavoring) and one hard boiled egg

That’s a tiny breakfast.

It’s likely that you just didn’t eat enough. Instead of overcomplicating things, why not just try eating more?[/quote]

I have to agree with CK here, with that small amount of food in you (for breakfast no less, after you haven’t eaten all night) it’s going to be used up really quickly. That looks to be about 250 cals (70 egg + 30 peach + 150 oatmeal) which you’ll fart out in 30 minutes.

Oh, and about the milk, milk is low on the glycemic index, but it is high in the insulin index. So it has a low GI, but promotes a high insulin spike.

and all those scales are for shit once you start having more then one food at once they all effect one another

Phill

Just an aside, your protein was really lacking in that meal. You might to take ramp up your protein intake. Also, there are two things to consider when looking at insulin response: the glycemic index and the glycemic load.

Basically, you may have a food with a very high GI, or a type of sugar which causes a dramatic insulin response, but very little of those sugars present in the food (glycemic load), making the overall response very low, despite the high GI rating. (or vice versa) I don’t know if that applies to your situation, but just some additional info. nonetheless.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
ChrisKing wrote:
force of one wrote:
a peach, a small ammount of oatmeal (probably instant, no flavoring) and one hard boiled egg

That’s a tiny breakfast.

It’s likely that you just didn’t eat enough. Instead of overcomplicating things, why not just try eating more?

I have to agree with CK here, with that small amount of food in you (for breakfast no less, after you haven’t eaten all night) it’s going to be used up really quickly. That looks to be about 250 cals (70 egg + 30 peach + 150 oatmeal) which you’ll fart out in 30 minutes.[/quote]\

LMAO!!! @ fart it out. yeah, I am sure you guys are right. Adjusting to different bodily needs is a little wierd. Some of the things I am doing to get extra protien make me concerned about fat intake. All this meat and eggs. Protien shakes in the middle of the night.

Whole milk… I bought organic whole milk, and man it’s soooooo good, but again I am sure it’s shot with fat. I would read the carton, but I am afraid to, lol.

At any rate I weight around 200 and there aren’t any inches to be pinched so I guess it’s protein hungry muscle. Ok then I will give more protein a try. I’ll tell you one thing… i am glad I can ask you guys this stuff, and I appreciate everybody’s input!