Confused About Bar Weight/Band Tension

Hi guys,

I could not find a definite answer to the following question:

When using bands on DE day (or ME day for that matter) how do you have to set up the bar weight and the band tension !?

For example DE bench:

Bar weight (50% of 1RM) + Band Tension = xxx lbs/xx% of 1RM
or
Bar weight + Band Tension (on the top) = 50% of 1RM

I hope you understand what I mean from this “example”…

Thanks a lot in advance for any input!

If I understand your question, most of the material I have read indicate the bar weight to load for the 50%. At least that is how I utilize the bands due to the range of tension from bottom to top.

[quote]eistee187 wrote:
Hi guys,

I could not find a definite answer to the following question:

When using bands on DE day (or ME day for that matter) how do you have to set up the bar weight and the band tension !?

For example DE bench:

Bar weight (50% of 1RM) + Band Tension = xxx lbs/xx% of 1RM
or
Bar weight + Band Tension (on the top) = 50% of 1RM

I hope you understand what I mean from this “example”…

Thanks a lot in advance for any input![/quote]

The classice “text book” answer is going to be get about 50% of your raw bench as bar weight and add a doubled mini band to each side of the bar. This will provide approximately 40# band tension on the chest and about 90 pounds at the top.

According to A.S. Prilipins(sp)chart the optimal number of reps @50% is approximately 24. The time under tension of a max effort bench attempt is roughly 3 seconds SO…

you’ll want to do 8 sets of 3 reps done explosively. The sets should take 3 seconds. This is key. If your 50% bar weight isn’t letting you do the 3 reps in 3 seconds lower the weight. If your faster put more weight on the bar. More or less go completely on feel. Often times I add weight and take weights off in the same session, usually just 10-15# either way because at first I’m a little slow then I get going good and the last set or two starts to slow.

You’ll want to “speed test” yourself every now and then after you do the 8X3 by putting about 70% of your 1rm on the bar and doing 1-3 reps. It should feel all “floaty” and pretty easy if you’ve done the D.E. benching correctly. If it just feel heavy you haven’t done it properly. Good luck with your benching…

So, ~50% + bands it is :slight_smile:

Thanks guys for yout input and extra thanks to StrengthDawg for his additional insights!

its suppose to be 50% = weight + bands.

question just asked on elitefts.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=106310&tid=

[quote]seth.ewan wrote:
its suppose to be 50% = weight + bands.

question just asked on elitefts.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=106310&tid=[/quote]

Good info my man. I totally misunderstood that concept so I did some more research and to be more specific since the OP was shooting out percentages. From the WS DE methodology they provided this suggestion depending upon your weakness in your training development:

For speed strength, 65% of the total weight should be barbell weight and 35% should be bar tension. For strength speed or slow strength, used with maximal weights, 65% of the total weight should come from band tension and 35% should be barbell weight.