Confused about Assistance Exercises after Main Lifts

hello chris/everybody. my names Greg and new new to lifting. ive done alot of research regarding where to start and i think i have the right idea, based on what ive picked up on alot of Christians previous articles on t nation but prio to starting to lift could anybody take a look of this so i dont get injured and make sure im on the right track.

right so ive decided on 3 days a week being a beginner and i understand that the main lifts that i should focus on are Bench, Press, Dead, Squat

and after research, for accessory lifts i understand Dips, Chins, Rows, snatch grip high pull and curls are pretty safe bets.

now putting it all together in a sensible way is another thing, i think ive done a good job of it but could anybody please take a look and let me know if its ok please?

Alternating A/B/A , B/A/B

before each workout ill be warming up and stretching

A
Main lifts Squat and Press
Accessories Row - Dips - curls

B
Main lifts Dead and Bench
Accessories chins - high pull - tri iso

i know the best programs are the ones you enjoy and are consistent with so im hoping im on the right track above. PS i really want to keep the snatch grip high pull from hang in there after reading some of Christians articles about it.

thank you for your help guys
-greg

That actually looks decent enough, apart from one thing: there doesn’t seem to be any assistance for the lower body apart from the high pulls (and that’s pretty much a whole body lift).

I’d recommend chucking in a lower body assistance exercise for each day, and sub out the curls and tricep iso to make room. Something like lunges and leg press would probably do nicely.

I have been training for about 15 years and have made my best progress over the last couple of years when I stopped designing my own programmes and started following CTs. Just pick one and do it, don’t try and add in this and that. ESPECIALLY if you are a beginner

Have a look at “915” or “power look”, they are great. They are 4 day a week programmes, but CTs advice has always been if you can only train 3 days do it like this.
week 1 -A/B/C week 2-D/A/B week 3-C/D/A etc.

Honestly, if you know you are following a programme written by an expert, you will put in more effort. Rather than half-assing one you wrote yourself

1 Like