T Nation

Conept of IIFYM

[quote]facko wrote:

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]facko wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:

This post was, literally, so full of misinformation and misunderstanding that I stopped trying to reply point by point. Not just about the concept of IIFYM, but even on the level of basic physiology.

The broscience on this board can be so ridonk, at times.[/quote]

Exactly…I don’t understand why I do this to myself to be honest… I make a long, concise, valid reasoning and make sure to cover any possible conceived bases that may be questioned, then someone somehow finds something to question or disagree with…

Then I realize that it’s futile for me to make scientific arguments because broscience allows them to still refute whatever I had to say. This cycle goes on and on until I just give up typing page long scientific responses…because they simply do not register if you’re main source of information is broscience.[/quote]

You’re doing a contest prep, intersted do tell make a new thread if you want.[/quote]

I cannot decipher if you’re being facetious…[/quote]

Nah dude, Actually care. Plus I have not read about any of your progress for a long time now. I’m always excited to hear about someone who is either getting involved young or is going to their first show.

[quote]Chiron01 wrote:
I think that IIFYM became popular based on people believing that as long as you stick to the concept of energy balance and keep calories in less than calories out, then you’ll lose weight. There are obviously many flaws to this logic and many examples to help to demonstrate that there are much better ways to approach weight loss.

  • BMR calculators do tend to work fairly well, but unless you are undergoing more sophisticated testing of your metabolic rate, there is a chance that your metabolic rate could be quite different from what the calculator tells you. The most dramatic examples come from studies of obese individual who if I recall correctly can have a metabolic rate up to 40% lower than what would be estimated based on their body weight. This is due to a genetic difference from the general population, but obviously these individuals would not want to follow IIFYM.

-Another issue that should be taken into consideration is that insulin resistance will create a metabolic cascade that will result in a slower metabolic rate, so once again BMR calculators wouldn’t be reliable for somebody who ate themselves into insulin resistance. Insulin resistance can also have such a profound effect on promoting fat storage that even at a caloric deficit, someone with insulin resistance could still be storing fat when following IIFYM and eating nothing but twinkies. Even someone who is not so prone to insulin resistance and obesity would still become more insulin resistant if they ate nothing but twinkies, so eventually IIFYM would be working against them as well.

-Adequate Protein is necessary to consume in order to maintain muscle mass during a caloric deficit. If you are eating nothing but twinkies you may be losing more muscle than fat.

-If calories were created equally then someone following a food guide style diet should lose as much weight as possible in a given time frame, but even groups of individuals eating MORE than their daily caloric intake of high fat, high protein, very low carb diets lose more weight than the more conventional group.

I guess that most examples do stem from study of the general population, but if something doesn’t work for them, why would it work much better for us? Or if something does work for them, then it should work even better for us! Even amongst fitness enthusiasts, the best diet results come from much more sensible approaches than IIFYM.

[/quote]

how the fuck did you come to the conclusion that people that follow IIFYM eat nothing but twinkies and junk food.

lets look at some good bodybuilders that follow IIFYM (aka flexible dieting)

  • dusty hanshaw
  • layne norton
  • matt ogus
  • alberto nunez

tell me again how IIFYM is such a bad nutrition protocol.

people acting like having “junk food” a few times a week is going to cause a massive insulin spike and instantly make someone gain fat, are incorrect and this is simply no true.

also whoever said the timing of a nutrient effects the absorption is also incorrect.

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

tell me again how IIFYM is such a bad nutrition protocol.
[/quote]

Because it is too simplistic.

Furthermore, why are “macros” given more importance than “micros”?

i dunno if there is a point to arguing with ryan

he is either a troll or incredibly dumb

why do these IIFYM people ignore the fact that there is more than 1 type of carbohydrate? clearly has no understanding of muscle/liver glycogen and no understanding of glucose/insulin.

[quote]fr0gger666 wrote:
i dunno if there is a point to arguing with ryan

he is either a troll or incredibly dumb

why do these IIFYM people ignore the fact that there is more than 1 type of carbohydrate? clearly has no understanding of muscle/liver glycogen and no understanding of glucose/insulin.

[/quote]

uhh please do list these different kinds of carbohydrates, also why are they superior to anyother form of carb.

please anyone else whatch this before commenting on IIFYM

Damn, so much anger over a diet approach. A question I have for you guys: If you follow a normal 2800 diet; 280g carbs, 280g protein, 68g fats, Aren’t you doing IIFYM? Or do you guys just eat “healthy meals”, that contain brown rice, a lean meat, and some veggies. Not counting your calories.

Flexible dieting seems to have been great for a lot of bodybuilders, most notably the 3DMJ crew. And its not everyday that you have to eat a twinkie or some ice cream. Why not enjoy life?

The argument is different for an overweight, unfit individual though.

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]fr0gger666 wrote:
i dunno if there is a point to arguing with ryan

he is either a troll or incredibly dumb

why do these IIFYM people ignore the fact that there is more than 1 type of carbohydrate? clearly has no understanding of muscle/liver glycogen and no understanding of glucose/insulin.

[/quote]

uhh please do list these different kinds of carbohydrates, also why are they superior to anyother form of carb.

please anyone else whatch this before commenting on IIFYM

[/quote]

no thanks, i’m not watching someone who has made pathetic progress and thinks wearing a suit entitles him to act like he is some pro bodybuilder

go read up on wikipedia, thanks guy

[quote]Zerpp wrote:
Damn, so much anger over a diet approach. A question I have for you guys: If you follow a normal 2800 diet; 280g carbs, 280g protein, 68g fats, Aren’t you doing IIFYM? Or do you guys just eat “healthy meals”, that contain brown rice, a lean meat, and some veggies. Not counting your calories.

Flexible dieting seems to have been great for a lot of bodybuilders, most notably the 3DMJ crew. And its not everyday that you have to eat a twinkie or some ice cream. Why not enjoy life?

The argument is different for an overweight, unfit individual though. [/quote]

IIFYM isn’t counting macros, it’s justifying filling your macros with junk like high fructose corn syrup instead of healthy carbs that would be more beneficial to things such as liver/muscle glycogen and insulin sensitivity

and yeah, maybe cheating a little doesn’t matter, but what if you keep cheating and most of your macros are coming from complete garbage foods?

[quote]fr0gger666 wrote:

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]fr0gger666 wrote:
i dunno if there is a point to arguing with ryan

he is either a troll or incredibly dumb

why do these IIFYM people ignore the fact that there is more than 1 type of carbohydrate? clearly has no understanding of muscle/liver glycogen and no understanding of glucose/insulin.

[/quote]

uhh please do list these different kinds of carbohydrates, also why are they superior to anyother form of carb.

please anyone else whatch this before commenting on IIFYM

[/quote]

no thanks, i’m not watching someone who has made pathetic progress and thinks wearing a suit entitles him to act like he is some pro bodybuilder

go read up on wikipedia, thanks guy
[/quote]

haha okay. lets just forget all the great information and knowledge he puts out because he doesnt look like a pro builder, what an ignorant moron you are. if i got jay cuttler to say the exact same thing would you listnen?

[quote]fr0gger666 wrote:

[quote]Zerpp wrote:
Damn, so much anger over a diet approach. A question I have for you guys: If you follow a normal 2800 diet; 280g carbs, 280g protein, 68g fats, Aren’t you doing IIFYM? Or do you guys just eat “healthy meals”, that contain brown rice, a lean meat, and some veggies. Not counting your calories.

Flexible dieting seems to have been great for a lot of bodybuilders, most notably the 3DMJ crew. And its not everyday that you have to eat a twinkie or some ice cream. Why not enjoy life?

The argument is different for an overweight, unfit individual though. [/quote]

IIFYM isn’t counting macros, it’s justifying filling your macros with junk like high fructose corn syrup instead of healthy carbs that would be more beneficial to things such as liver/muscle glycogen and insulin sensitivity

and yeah, maybe cheating a little doesn’t matter, but what if you keep cheating and most of your macros are coming from complete garbage foods?

[/quote]

no its not your so misinformed its not funny, i follow IIFYM and eat clean 90% of the time. if you whatched the fucking video it might clear some shit up for you, cause you clearly dont understand IIFYM.

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]fr0gger666 wrote:

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]fr0gger666 wrote:
i dunno if there is a point to arguing with ryan

he is either a troll or incredibly dumb

why do these IIFYM people ignore the fact that there is more than 1 type of carbohydrate? clearly has no understanding of muscle/liver glycogen and no understanding of glucose/insulin.

[/quote]

uhh please do list these different kinds of carbohydrates, also why are they superior to anyother form of carb.

please anyone else whatch this before commenting on IIFYM

[/quote]

no thanks, i’m not watching someone who has made pathetic progress and thinks wearing a suit entitles him to act like he is some pro bodybuilder

go read up on wikipedia, thanks guy
[/quote]

haha okay. lets just forget all the great information and knowledge he puts out because he doesnt look like a pro builder, what an ignorant moron you are. if i got jay cuttler to say the exact same thing would you listnen?[/quote]

are you mad because you are small and no one will take you seriously either?

if I knew everything and was still fat small and weak after several years, I wouldn’t expect people to listen to me

also, jay cutler eats real food, not the processed trash you IIFYM dumbasses want to eat

please stop making IIFYM threads and go back to bodybuilding.com, you have no understanding of carbohydrates or fats

[quote]fr0gger666 wrote:

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]fr0gger666 wrote:

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]fr0gger666 wrote:
i dunno if there is a point to arguing with ryan

he is either a troll or incredibly dumb

why do these IIFYM people ignore the fact that there is more than 1 type of carbohydrate? clearly has no understanding of muscle/liver glycogen and no understanding of glucose/insulin.

[/quote]

uhh please do list these different kinds of carbohydrates, also why are they superior to anyother form of carb.

please anyone else whatch this before commenting on IIFYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QOmLj5yRyI

[/quote]

no thanks, i’m not watching someone who has made pathetic progress and thinks wearing a suit entitles him to act like he is some pro bodybuilder

go read up on wikipedia, thanks guy
[/quote]

haha okay. lets just forget all the great information and knowledge he puts out because he doesnt look like a pro builder, what an ignorant moron you are. if i got jay cuttler to say the exact same thing would you listnen?[/quote]

are you mad because you are small and no one will take you seriously either?

if I knew everything and was still fat small and weak after several years, I wouldn’t expect people to listen to me

also, jay cutler eats real food, not the processed trash you IIFYM dumbasses want to eat

please stop making IIFYM threads and go back to bodybuilding.com, you have no understanding of carbohydrates or fats

[/quote]

okay its clear now that you have no understanding of basic nutrition. so you know try and use insults to in some way validate your argument.

regardless of what ian looks like he puts out some of the best information in the youtube fitness community.

lol just whatch the damn video your retard you have no clue about IIFYM or the people that follow it. edit have fun with your strict chicken and brown rice diet while ill me making great gains and still being able to eat the foods i love.

My only problem with IIFYM is the name itself, saying if it fits your macros implies that ANYTHING can fit said macros. The actual flexible dieting concept I agree with. It’s just the implication of the name implies that you can fit anything in it and be fine, mountain dew, protein powder and lard can fit your macros too.

AND I KNOW NO ONE IS ADVOCATING EATING THAT. Once again the implication of the name is that is acceptable, call if flexible dieting and I’m cool.

withdrew